Anterior placenta and c-section....nervous!!

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
I'm having a repeat csection on May 30th, and I've been told by my midwife that I have an anterior placenta. So here is my concern... I'm worried that the placenta may be low lying (like it was with my other 2 kids) and if it implanted on my scar from previous section.... What is going to happen?! I know it can cause major issues, blood loss, possible hysterectomy. I'm losing sleep over this right now. I'm just so worried. Since I see a midwife, I won't see my OB until May 7th just before my csection. The only consolation I have is knowing that my 'low lying' placentas in my other pregnancies, always moved up. So I'm hoping this is the case for me again. Anyone out there with advice? I'd really appreciate it. I'm just not sure how the doctor will perform surgery on me so it's safe for both my baby and myself:(

Hey just wanted to say good luck :)

My first I had an anterior placenta, had an emergency cs and they didn't hit it :)

I also wouldn't worry about it being implanted in your scar, I just had this happen, and it's very very rare. It's actually considered a special kind of ectopic pregnancy (ectopic on c-section scar) and since you have a healthy baby I'd say you're in the clear. I know it's hard not to worry but I'd say your placenta will move up as you get bigger at the end.

Good luck!! and congrats!

Kim

Generally the risk if for higher blood loss.. I believe because of the position they MAY end up having to cut the placenta first (Unless they do an ultrasound ahead of time and figure they can do a different cut). So this leaves them less time and a little more rushed. But I wouldn't stress, your in good hands and the best place for this to happen :)

As for the placenta being in the scar, its called Placenta accrete, Its pretty rare but can happen. Some times they can notice it on ultrasound. But you do have a good chance that it hasn't happen, but I will say if it has happened the best place for it to happen tends to be with an anterior placenta.

I have had two sections. I will be going for my third this Summer. All my babes have had anterior placentas, and I have yet to have any issues with that surgical or other.

Anterior placenta and low-lying placenta are usually two totally different things so don't worry about that. As you said, the low-lying placenta can migrate up in time but the anterior placenta will stay anterior.
I had an anterior placenta with my first and unfortunately nobody told me what happened in theatre and nobody documented what went wrong in the theatre notes (I attend a hospital with a poor obstetric reputation :nope:) but I haemorrhaged and they were 1hr20mins "fixing things" after dd was delivered. I was pretty out of it as my blood pressure bottomed out. Afterwards my catheter bag was filling with pure blood for about 12+hours and the nurse on the ward said "oh they probably accidentally cut your bladder, it happens, it's very common" oh!
Anyway, to turn this into the positive!... I fell pregnant again the second time instantly (not planned, the only time I'd had unprotected sex since dd! Blame a lot of wine!) and I do not have an anterior placenta this time. Pregnancy has gone fine and I'm scheduled for my second section on Monday week!
So I suppose what I'm saying is, even in the worst scenario where they do cut the placenta and you haemorrhage, all can still be fine :flower:
Wishing you the very best of luck x

Anterior means at the front and is perfectly normal I think what your thinking of is placenta prévia where it is low. They will scan you to see where it is. With Jace I had an emergency cs so they didn't have time so they asked me and I said at 34 week growth scan it was anterior and 8cm from cervix so they knew where it would be

Thanks ladies. Really appreciate your input. I'm concerned with the placenta implanting on my previous csection scar. Which is rare I know, but with my other pregnancies the placenta always implants low, so that's why I'm concerned. I know this issue can mean significant blood loss, and even hysterectomy if they can't get the placenta to detach. I also have a couple other risk factors, so I'm a little worried. But I'm sure my OB will scan me just before the surgery to check location of the placenta. I'm such a worrier!! Lol! You would think is be used to this , since this is my 3rd baby!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->