Antibiotics (augmentin) during 1st trimester? SCARED!

KMCN

Reaction score
I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out I have a UTI. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics (augmentin, class B medication), and I'm SCARED TO DEATH to take anything during pregnancy! It makes me soooo nervous to take anything, especially during the first trimester, when the heart and organs are developing. I go for an ultrasound to see the heartbeat next week, and I keep imaging not seeing a heartbeat, or something wrong. I'm totally flipping out and have been crying all day about this. Has anybody else taken augmentin, or other antibiotics and have everything been fine??? I guess I just need some reassurance! Thank you!

I was told no antibiotics in the first trimester, this time is very critical. Instead I took a probiotic called Femdophilus. It's much more safe. Or you can try natural remedies, antibiotics are so strong

UTIs need to be treated ASAP or it will spread to the kidneys which is not only dangerous for you but can cause miscarriage as it can irritate the uterus.
I've just been on antibiotics for a UTI as well ( I was 7 weeks ) , and with my 1st bub I had a few rounds as well. My children are fine. I took keflex and my dr called the microbiologist to double check even though its a good one to use in pregnancy. Not sure what type yours is though?
You can drink all the water and cranberry juice you want it will flush your kidneys but won't get rid of the infection.

I am 12 weeks and on amoxicillin (not sure if that is the same but looks similar) as well. I'm very nervous about it, but both my GP and OB said it is safe. The nurse I talked to on the phone today said she took it for 3 months during pregnancy for recurrent sinus infections and said her baby was fine. I just saw my OB on Monday and wasn't yet sick, and she doesn't want to check up on me or the baby until my 16 week appointment on Nov. 4. :(. I'd really like to double check on the HB before then. I guess we just have to trust our doctors; I have heard UTIs are very common during pregnancy and absolutely need to be treated.

I was given augmentin early on in my first pregnancy and everything was fine. As misscalais said, UTIs can be dangerous during pregnancy and it's best to do as your doc says. :hugs:

I took antibiotics, amoxicillin at about 9 weeks for a chest infection. I was wary of taking them but I was told its better to take them and clear it than risk the infection getting worse and leading to other things. I took my course and everything was fine x

I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out I have a UTI. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics (augmentin, class B medication), and I'm SCARED TO DEATH to take anything during pregnancy! It makes me soooo nervous to take anything, especially during the first trimester, when the heart and organs are developing. I go for an ultrasound to see the heartbeat next week, and I keep imaging not seeing a heartbeat, or something wrong. I'm totally flipping out and have been crying all day about this. Has anybody else taken augmentin, or other antibiotics and have everything been fine??? I guess I just need some reassurance! Thank you!

im a nurse and someone who gets uti's alot, first that drug is safe during pregnancy. Second you cannot cleat up a uti on its own and if you dont clear it up it can cause more harm by waiting, you can give yourself a kidney infection, you also can cause a m/c. So i would take the anti biotics. No doctor will give you a anti biotic that is not safe for pregnancy just let them know your pregnant and many many women take them during the first tri...the ones that are safe are fine,,,and im pretty sure in this case even if it wasnt so safe the benefit outways the rist of preterm labor or a m/c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->