Antihistamines during pregnancy?

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I saw a gp yesterday for persistent itching that's lasted a few days/nights and disrupted sleep/etc.

They did blood tests and determined that everything is normal and prescribed an antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine Maleate. They said that it's safe during pregnancy and gave it via iv at first. But I have the pills now too.

I dunno if it just took the edge off the itching or just made me too drowsy to care. I was still itchy but way more relaxed. Now that the effects have worn off I'm as itchy as I was before but at least I got a good night's sleep.

But now I'm so worried! Are antihistamines really safe? I feel so bad for taking them...

I've been taking them throughout my entire pregnancy. They really helped me. My doctors say they are safe, too. That's all I know.

I'm supposed to take 3 antihistamines a day due to a skin condition I have called Urticaria. While pregnant I cut down the amount I take to 2-3 a week, it means more itching but it gives me a better peace of mind. From what I can gather there's no research to show that antihistamines are harmful but there's also not much research to show they aren't....if that makes sense?! I don't think they've done a lot of research in to it so no one can be sure but the general consensus is they are safe if taken in moderation.

My doc said I could take them to help me sleep.

This is the one they said that I could take during pregnancy because of my allergies, but I have held off so far and used a nasal spray instead because I'm wary of the drowsiness as I drive quite a long way to work and back and don't want to risk having a n accident. I might consider taking it though when I start maternity as it has been a nightmare putting up with constant sneezing and itchiness.

This is the one they said that I could take during pregnancy because of my allergies, but I have held off so far and used a nasal spray instead because I'm wary of the drowsiness as I drive quite a long way to work and back and don't want to risk having a n accident. I might consider taking it though when I start maternity as it has been a nightmare putting up with constant sneezing and itchiness.

It definitely makes you really drowsy. I didn't take any of the pills yet (I might tonight) but while I was getting the meds through IV my eyes started drooping right then and there. So I think it's wise you are holding off on taking it till you're on maternity leave.

Still going to try to find out the root cause of my itchiness...but it could be a while yet.

Perplexed, just curious. Did they check your liver function and bile acids? It usually takes a day or so for the liver function tests to come back and over a week for the bile acids. I hope they did just for your piece of mind. :)

Perplexed, just curious. Did they check your liver function and bile acids? It usually takes a day or so for the liver function tests to come back and over a week for the bile acids. I hope they did just for your piece of mind. :)

I think it was only the liver function test that they did and it came out normal. Following up with my own OB tomorrow to see if she could suggest something or will do other testing. Thank you so much for asking :hugs: How are things going for you?

I think it was only the liver function test that they did and it came out normal. Following up with my own OB tomorrow to see if she could suggest something or will do other testing. Thank you so much for asking :hugs: How are things going for you?

For some people the liver functions never get elevated, that's why it is important to get the other test as well.

I'm on 3 different meds now and am feeling better. This all started for me at 17 weeks, so it has been a long journey so far. I never had anything like this in my first pregnancy.

Thanks for asking :hugs:

It definitely makes you really drowsy. I didn't take any of the pills yet (I might tonight) but while I was getting the meds through IV my eyes started drooping right then and there. So I think it's wise you are holding off on taking it till you're on maternity leave.

Still going to try to find out the root cause of my itchiness...but it could be a while yet.

Wow, really? Will definitely hold off of using this one then until maternity leave. I'm trying to keep in mind that there's not long to go and then I should be able to get it under control and be comfortable again.

I don't know if every single antihistamine is safe, but some of them are. I know Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Claritin (loratadine) are, and I'm pretty sure I've heard chlorpheniramine is too. Generally, the longer an antihistamine has been on the market, the better, because they have more time to compile research on it and hear about adverse reactions. All three have been around for awhile - I think Claritin is the newest.

For anyone worried about drowsiness, try Claritin. It won't put you to sleep like some other antihistamines.

For some people the liver functions never get elevated, that's why it is important to get the other test as well.

I'm on 3 different meds now and am feeling better. This all started for me at 17 weeks, so it has been a long journey so far. I never had anything like this in my first pregnancy.

Thanks for asking :hugs:

I'll ask my ob about the bile acid test. I'm still itching.

You've had a long road and are so strong! Happy to hear that you're feeling better :hugs:

Wow, really? Will definitely hold off of using this one then until maternity leave. I'm trying to keep in mind that there's not long to go and then I should be able to get it under control and be comfortable again.

I took the pill last night and didn't really get too drowsy. Probably the earlier dose was bigger and going straight to the vein made it take affect faster. But I still got a bit dizzy within an hour or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->