Antiphospholipid Syndrome Girlies!

brunettebimbo

Mum of 2 Boys!
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm not sure if there is many of us around but thought a thread for girls with a similar syndrome may be good. I'm still learning and still have lots of questions and thought we may be able to help each other :)

I was diagnosed with APS after testing for recurrent miscarriage. I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and take Clexane, Aspirin, Omeprazole and High Dose Folic Acid.

I look forward to speaking to girls in similar situations :)

:hi: I'm in!! It's a scary journey so hopefully we can help each other through!! I've got a growth scan tomorrow! I'm certain there is no problem with growth at the moment as I had a private 4d scan 10 days ago and growth was bang on then.

:hi:

Have you had any growth scans yet? I'm nervous about mine even though he has measure spot on up to now!

Has anyone started discussing birth yet or anything?

No no growth scans yet I'm only having on at 29 and 35 weeks this time. I'm fine with that as I don't think they are terribly accurate. I had one last time at 35+5 and they estimated Freya to be 6lb 7 and she was born at 38+5 6lb 2 lol!!

Haven't discussed birth yet!! Last time I was due for induction at 38+5 as I had a few problems with reduced movements and a bit of bleeding and I was also insanely anxious but I went into labour naturally the morning I was booked for induction!

At this moment in time I'm definitely less anxious than last time so at the moment I feel happy not to schedule induction and go naturally!! That may change!!

Have you discussed birth?

Hello :hi:

Thanks for the invite :)

I'm 16 weeks & so far this is my first viable pregnancy. I've had 3 early miscarriages.

Nice to meet you all :flower:

Hi Kits and welcome :) So sorry for your losses :hugs:

Not yet Cazi. I'm kind of scared to. I keep reading that people with APS sometimes have to be induced early. I went naturally at 39+2 with my son but didn't have APS then.

Hi kits so sorry for your losses xx

Thanks. I did with them better by thinking we were unlucky and that they must've been accidental bad chromosome miss matches but now there seems to be a reason.

So any idea on what causes APS? I'm trying to research on my phone but not coming up with much.

It's an auto immune thing so I think it's just one of those things that's your body just decides to do randomly :-(

I first thought mine were bad luck. I was refered to Liverpool women's hospital after m/c #4 and was full expecting them nog to find anything wrong (my local hospital could find nothing wrong) so I got a bit of a shock!

I read a few things can cause it, even previous pregnancies!

Antiphospholipid antibodies

Antibodies are proteins produced by the immune system to help fight off infection and illness. Antibodies are part of the body’s defence system produced to help protect against ‘invading forces’, such as bacteria and viruses. Antibodies can signal to the immune system to release chemicals to kill them and prevent infection spreading.

In APS, the immune system produces abnormal antibodies which, rather than attacking bacteria and viruses, mistakenly attack proteins found on the outside of cells in the blood and in the walls of blood vessels.

These abnormal antibodies are called antiphospholipid antibodies because they were originally thought to target fat molecules known as phospholipids. However, it's now thought that their real target is proteins attached to these fat molecules.

It is not known how the targeting of these proteins causes the blood to clot more easily. However, most experts believe that keeping your blood at the correct consistency (not too runny and not too sticky) is a delicate balancing act that relies on different types of proteins and fats working together, and this balance may be disrupted by the abnormal antibodies in people with APS.

It is still not clear what causes the immune system to produce these abnormal antibodies or why most people with abnormal antibodies do not experience symptoms, although a combination of genetic and environmental factors is thought to be responsible.

Genetic factors

Research into the genetics around APS is still at an early stage, but it seems that the genes you inherit from your parents may play a role in the development of abnormal antiphospholipid antibodies.

APS is not passed down directly from parents to children in the same way that other conditions are (such as haemophilia and sickle cell anaemia), but having a family member with antiphospholipid antibodies does increase the chance of your immune system also producing them.

Studies have shown that some cases of APS may be related to a similar mutated gene, known as the STAT4 gene.

This gene is also thought to play a role in other autoimmune conditions, such as lupus (a complex condition that affects many parts of the body and causes a wide range of symptoms).

This may explain why some people develop APS alongside another immune system condition.

Environmental factors

It is thought that one or more environmental triggers may be needed to trigger APS in some people.

Environmental factors that may be responsible include:

viral infections, such as the cytomegalovirus (CMV) or parvovirus B19
bacterial infections, such as E. coli (a bacteria often associated with food poisoning) or leptospirosis (an infection usually spread by certain animals)
certain medications, such as anti-epileptic medicine or the oral contraceptive pill
Another theory is that many people with abnormal antiphospholipid antibodies only go on to develop APS if they have a higher risk of developing blood clots, for example if they:

eat an unhealthy diet that leads to high cholesterol levels in the blood
do not do enough exercise
take the contraceptive pill or hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
smoke
are obese
However, this does not explain why some children and adults who do not have any of these risk factors still develop APS things can cause it, I even read that previous pregnancies can cause it!

All fine at my growth scan today! Baby estimated to weigh around 3lb!!! Have a funny feeling this baby is going to be a lot bigger than Freya!!

Have another growth scan booked for 4 weeks time.

i'm not sure to be homest. She was estimated to weigh about 5lb 11oz at 35+5 and was born at 38+5 6lb 2oz. but from 36 weeks I did have reduced movement on several occasions and my bump didnt grow much. either the scan was a bit off or she stopped growing

So is mine lol! Mines at 2pm is yours am or pm?

Ha ha brilliant!! See you there!!

I'm going to be looking at everyone trying to work out which is you! :rofl:

I'm sure if won't be hard as I usually just go in my uniform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->