Anxiety and Dopplers

sunshine2014

Reaction score
Okay, so I've had a few mc's and I'm considering getting a doppler (either buying or renting), BUT I'm worried it will make me more anxious. I'm hoping to "relax" if I make it to the second trimester, and I'm truthfully not sure this will help or not.

I do tend to have major anxiety about things like these (appts, unknowns etc.), so I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice. I appreciate those who have had healthy, successful pregnancies without mcs in the past, but I assume your opinion will be a tad bit biased lol, as mine would be! ;)

Mostly looking for anxious ladies who have had previous mcs to offer me suggestions.

Thanks!!:flower:

I know everyone is different but I'm an anxious person and was very nervous about almost everything during the 1st trimester (still am from time to time now in 2nd tri :) ) and I can say buying a doppler was a HUGE relief.
Of course the days I could not find a heartbeat I did not feel well but still so much better than not knowing anything! (at least I heard it once!)

Even now when I'm a little nervous because I don't feel my baby move I quickly check with my doppler and it's always such a relief to hear my baby's heartbeat.

If you're lucky and can hear your baby's from week 8-9 it will provide tons of confort! But you have to be prepared and keep in mind that you might not be able to hear it this soon, you might have to wait week 12 or later. Also, you have to keep in mind that this early you might not be able to hear your baby every time you want and it can take a long time to find him/her.

I hope this helps a little :flower:

I have had multiple mc's and a healthy full term pregnancy. My doppler is an anxiety saver. I have had to remind myself that I may not always be able to find the heartbeat especially when in the very early weeks so to relax and try again in a few hours. If you feel this might cause more stress then I don't recommend it.
I had some light bleeding a few weeks ago (of course very late on a Saturday night) and being able to listen to that magical sound was an instant relief until I could speak to my RE the next morning.

I had four miscarriages in a row before my last pregnancy. So I understand how anxious you are, and it doesn't go away. I got a doppler for reassurance. It took me a week to find the heart beat, I found it at 10 weeks 2 days pregnant. It was the best thing ever. With this pregnancy I have just started to use the doppler, haven't found heart beat yet. But I'm only 9 weeks. Try not to worry yourself if you can't find it, keep trying. It does give you relief and reassurance when you finally find it xxx

I am almost on the opposite side of the other posters. I also lost 3 lo last year and am really freaked out. I was so set on getting a doppler to ease my mind. Every time I go for an U/S I freak out till they tell me that all is ok. DH and I decided against getting a doppler and I really don't regret it. I may be because I am so busy and I am now used to my monthly U/S schedule but I don't regret not getting one. I think that getting one will definitely reassure you but I also think that you would get used to it if you didn't have one.

If you do get one just don't stress when you are not able to find the HB at first, sometimes it can take a bit of time and practice.

I'm going to disagree with the majority that just for me personally it didn't help. I think it really depends on your thought process and weather you will be able to not worry and stress if you can't find the heartbeat. For me in this pregnancy after 7 losses ive been a nervous wreck, bought a doppler thinking it would help ease my nerves but of course when I couldn't find the heartbeat by ten weeks, it totally panicked me as after so many pregnancies I knew exactly how to find it but as hard as I looked I couldn't. It resulted in me booking a private scan I was so anxious. Turns out my little lady is just in an awkward position. Even my midwife can't find her heartbeat on the doppler and I'm 21 weeks almost. But on every scan she's fit and healthy and of course her movements now reassure me. I guess everyones situations are different so you need to think if you feel it would help to relax you or make your worry worse.

I had three missed miscarriages in a row before I had my son and my Doppler was an absolute life/anxiety saver! Unfortunately I didn't find it til 14 weeks exactly so I was anxious until that point so I advice if you do get one, wait til your over 12 weeks.

With this baby I picked up baby's HR at 8+5 but I'm using a sonoline b this time. Last pregnancy I used an angel sounds and I was much heavier then too (about 60 lbs heavier!) :thumbup:

Honestly, I would advise against it, especially this early on.

I completely understand your anxiety. I've had 2 rounds of IVF, a MMC, and multiple scares throughout this pregnancy. I was tempted to buy a doppler on several occasions early on and I made my Husband promise not to let me get one. I had weekly checks with my midwife, to allow her to listen in and she couldn't find a HB until I was 17 weeks. I don't have an anterior placenta or anything, my midwife said it's common not to be able to detect it so early, due to the size of the baby, which I know is hard to believe when you see so many posts of here from women saying they've picked it up at 8/9 weeks. I was sent to hospital for emergency scans each time she couldn't detect it and honestly, the fear that I felt for that hour each time put me off buying one.

I know how difficult it is but try to concentrate on one day at a time. If you're anything like me, a doppler would just cause added stress x

I got the Sonoline B Doppler a week ago. I've only found the heartbeat once - and can't seem to find it since. I've had a scan though 2 days ago and all is ok at this point. I've had a MMC last year and the doppler was bought to ease my fears, but no luck in finding the heatbeat after the 1st time. I'm not too worried though as I know it's early Xx

Had a MMC at 11w5d and my sonoline b def helps keep my fears at bay! You do have to keep in mind that it can be hard to find in the early weeks. I found mine everyday since 8+2 but I'm now 11+2 and finding it so much quicker and easier! Def gets me from appt to appt

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->