Anxiety Disorder/ Hypochondriac Disorder

PurpleRain92

Reaction score
Hey all. I haven't been on here properly for a couple of years since having my daughter in 2012. Anyhow, I have became pregnant after four months of trying which I'm over the moon about and am just over 6 weeks pregnant :D The problem is not long after having my daughter, I developed anxiety which mostly revolves around me worrying about my heart and health (I suffered with pre-eclampsia and had quite a difficult birth which is what I think my anxiety stems from).
I was prescribed 30mg of propranalol to take three times a day which helped lower my blood pressure and curb palpitations also. Since falling pregnant I have had to stop these and am worried my anxiety may build again and my blood pressure will rise.
Last time I was pregnant I was on labetalol in the third trimester but am not allowed to take these in the first trimester and do not have an appointment with the doctor till the end of next week to discuss this. What medication have people who suffer with anxiety been put on and what helped reduce your anxiety level? Thanks guys. :hugs:

Hey there, I can definitely relate to you. After I had my daughter in April of 2013 I had to get my heart valve replaced in December. Ever since then I have been so anxious about my health. I am now 8 weeks with our second! I have many worries with my heart condition and making it through this pregnancy safely. If you ever want to talk let me know!
As far as Meds I am not sure which is safe to take, I do have a friend that was allowed to take lexapro for the 1st and 2nd trimester but the doctor told her to get off it at the 3rd. Maybe you could try a prenatal yoga class? Have you met with a cardiologist? Sorry I'm not much help but do know that you aren't alone and we are here for you! <3

Hey all. I haven't been on here properly for a couple of years since having my daughter in 2012. Anyhow, I have became pregnant after four months of trying which I'm over the moon about and am just over 6 weeks pregnant :D The problem is not long after having my daughter, I developed anxiety which mostly revolves around me worrying about my heart and health (I suffered with pre-eclampsia and had quite a difficult birth which is what I think my anxiety stems from).
I was prescribed 30mg of propranalol to take three times a day which helped lower my blood pressure and curb palpitations also. Since falling pregnant I have had to stop these and am worried my anxiety may build again and my blood pressure will rise.
Last time I was pregnant I was on labetalol in the third trimester but am not allowed to take these in the first trimester and do not have an appointment with the doctor till the end of next week to discuss this. What medication have people who suffer with anxiety been put on and what helped reduce your anxiety level? Thanks guys. :hugs:

Purplerain, I could have written half of the above myself, and however much I wish you hadn't gone through what you did, it's nice to hear of someone who went through something similar to me. My daughter was born in December 2011, and within 6 months I had developed health anxiety and was so scared I had illnesses and health problems that I ended up going to counselling. I too had pre-eclampsia during my pregnancy and had a hideous birth- I had to be induced in hospital because the pre-eclampsia had got so bad... My husband and mum left the hospital at 10pm and I laboured through the night. Despite telling the midwives I was in labour, they ignored me and fobbed me off with 'have a bath, you can't have progressed that much yet' I was then examined when I refused to lie on the bed because of the pain and I was 8cm... I gave birth about 7 minutes later with ventouse and I had a natural 3rd degree tear..... With no pain relief what so ever. My husband and mum missed the whole thing and I gave birth in a room full of strangers. My daughter was about 6 months old when I had to start counselling because my health anxiety had pretty much taken over my life and I was having panic attacks on a fair basis... I found the counselling worked and so have never been on medication for it, but just writing this out to you has got my heart racing just remembering my labour..... I found out yesterday I'm pregnant, and I am terrified of the same thing happening all over again- pre-eclampsia coming back, having a traumatic birth and ending up at counselling again. I can't really offer any advice but I'm here if you want to chat :hugs:

Ps sorry for the essay!!

Hey there, I can definitely relate to you. After I had my daughter in April of 2013 I had to get my heart valve replaced in December. Ever since then I have been so anxious about my health. I am now 8 weeks with our second! I have many worries with my heart condition and making it through this pregnancy safely. If you ever want to talk let me know!
As far as Meds I am not sure which is safe to take, I do have a friend that was allowed to take lexapro for the 1st and 2nd trimester but the doctor told her to get off it at the 3rd. Maybe you could try a prenatal yoga class? Have you met with a cardiologist? Sorry I'm not much help but do know that you aren't alone and we are here for you! <3

Thanks Tiger for replying. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I had to have that operation, you are so strong :) I know I would be a mess. Hmmn every time I go to the doctors about my heart, everything always seems normal and they just think it's related to my anxiety. I guess some of it could be, but the palpitations I get are not related to the anxiety, and I'm tired of doctor's just dismissing them :( hope you're doing well :) x

Hey Millie, thanks for replying. That sounds awful :( I know the whole room full of strangers part. Induction is horrible isn't it? :( from about 32 weeks I was in and out the hospital while they were weighing up whether or not to induce me and they finally did when my blood pressure hit 210/126. I still have high blood pressure so pre-eclampsia is deffo on my mind a lot of the time. Also since developing the anxiety, I know it sounds weird, but I hate not being in control of my body because of all the panic attacks I have had. Even though I have a high pain threshold, I'm scared of going super panic mode when I'm in labour :( x

I suffer with health anxiety :( It takes over your life. I'm currently just over 8 weeks and my anxiety is threw the roof. Palpitations, constantly aware of my heart and breathing it's awful :( I'm on 40 mg of prozac which I take daily. Iv taken it throughout all my pregnancies. Must be my hormones what's sending it crazy at the minute but everyday is a struggle for me. I'm very down with it :(

I suffer from anxiety as well. I've been on 7.5mg Remeron (Mirtazapine) for almost 2 years now, and it has been the only thing that helps me. I also have depression, which this medication helps with as well. I also go to talk therapy as needed, which is a huge help too. I'm taking a very low dose of this medication. My Dr. says it looks pretty safe for pregnancy, especially at such a low dose, but not much research has been done on it in pregnant women. It is an uncommon antidepressant/antianxiety medication, but it really helps me without giving me all the crazy side effects that I got when I tried Lexapro and Zoloft.

Anxiety is the worst. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I really hope you can find something that helps you. <3

Hi, I just thought I'd weigh in as I also suffer from anxiety in daily life, especially around medical issues. I'm not medicated and I managed it myself but sometimes it gets out of hand...

This 'waiting and seeing' part of trimester one, where a miscarriage can happen, is pure torture for me. I am not enjoying it one bit. I did experience a couple of traumatic early miscarriage stories very recently around me which probably didn't help but I'm up the walls wishing I was at scan/heartbeat time and could know everything was ok...

I had a freak out this morning because my pre-pregnancy fertility blood results came back and they showed a rise in the male hormone which indicates PCOS. The clinic had not bothered to note that I am now pregnant, despite me calling them to tell them so I was on my own as they just don't pick up the phone... Google obviously told me this was related to miscarriages so i was obviously very anxious about it...

Thankfully my normal doctor went through the results with me and reassured me that even though I have the usual 1 in 3 chances of miscarriage this early on, it would have nothing to do with those hormones...

I've had freak outs about UTIs (I'm clean), eating unpasteurised cheese before I knew I was pregnant, getting too hot running for the bus and most recently, about taking cranberry capsules to prevent a UTI... It's gonna be a long 9 months lol...

Anyway sorry to ramble, I have nothing to add on the medications front whatsoever but it's just nice to know that there are others out there also finding this a difficult time.

Sorry for late reply, been a busy few days. Thanks all for replying. It really is reassuring to know I'm not alone. Is the prozac not working Sammie? I quite liked propranolol when I as on it because it curbed the physical symptoms but it's the mental issues I need to tackle. A few of you mentioned counselling and CBT. I have tried several times to get myself sessions, where I live the doctor doesn't refer you, you have to refer yourself but they're a pile of crap because no one ever answers phones or emails!
I'm sure my partner is on mirtazipine for his bipolar and depression but he's on quite a high dose I think.
Anxiety really is the worse :( it doesn't help that I'm a clinical support worker and work within an NHS hospital lol soooo many illnesses. One of the things I have to do whilst doing vital signs is measure a person's respiratory rate, basically how many breaths they are taking a minute. My health anxiety can be that bad that I start becoming concious of my own breathing rate and heartrate which then plays in my head :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->