Anxiety making my morning sickness worse

happyladybugg

Reaction score
Hi since finding out I was pregnant it was like a light switch went off and I was overtaken by anxiety. I truly believe the anxiety has made any symptoms of morning sickness I have 100x worse then they need to be. I have had issues with anxiety in the past and I remember feeling the same way then as I do now. I have no appetite (I feel very hungry but nothing sounds or looks good to eat), I dry heave alot, I'm finding that going out of the house is scary and I just feel like I'm letting everybody I love down. I'm a skinny lady and I have already lost 10 pounds since findiing out I was pregnant which is not good for me at all...I'm going to waste away if I lose anymore. I have a dr appt on Monday and I will definetly bring this up to her but in the meantime is there anybody else out there dealing with anxiety and if so how are you coping? Any tips on making myself feel less anxious, I would give anything to get out of this funk I'm in!!!

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one. I have GAD and my pregnancy symptoms are almost completely anxiety related. I don't know if my severe nausea and gagging is because of actual morning sickness or anxiety! I gag really badly when my anxiety is high and so far this is the worst thing I've been feeling.

I've also been jittery which makes me feel super tired, but I don't know if it's pregnancy fatigue or anxiety!

I too don't like leaving the house. Ever since I found out I'm pregnant I've been afraid to go out and have an anxiety attack.

I feel for you! Sorry you are going through this too!

Awww I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with this too :hug:
Today has actually turned out to be super good, probably the best day I've had since finding out I was pregnant...All because I didn't let my mind get the best of me!! I hope I can keep up the fight against my mind to feel this way everyday!!! I actually haven't even dry heaved today (knock on wood) and I've been eating like crazy.
Hang in there hun...I hope we can knock this anxiety on its butt and overcome it!!

The anxiety is terrible!!!! I definitely have gotten worse nausea when anxiety kicks in... I've been coping by doing things like posting here and giving advice to others, reading about what is going on with my baby during every week that just passed and the week that's coming up when it's close, and ...well, I started a baby registry on Amazon and enjoy getting to do a little "shopping" which just gets me hopeful and excited about baby.

Aww...thank you! Today was a bad day for dry heaving for me. My mom cooked noodles for lunch and as soon as I THOUGHT about eating I ran to the bathroom and dry heaved for 5 minutes! Nothing came up but my mom could hear me coughing and gagging like crazy. Every time I thought it was over it would start up again. Ohhh my!

I am so glad to hear that you were able to eat today and that your anxiety didn't get the best of you. That is a wonderful thing!

I've been a bit jittery today because of anxiety, but my exhaustion is so overwhelming that all I can really think about is lying down!

Take care!!:thumbup:

Awww bababel that sounded like my day yesterday...Literally unbearable and thats what got me thinking last night about how maybe I'm making my morning sickness symptoms worse...I really and truly believe after having such a good day today I was exactly right. I never felt too bad with my last two, morning sickness wise, but I also had little to no anxiety when pregnant with them. This time I have so much guilt over bringing a new baby into this family and having my baby (my 16 month old) not be the baby anymore. Also just thinking about having two little ones and my pre-teen and occasionally my stepsons without very much help as my DH works ALOT!!! Then add possibly feeling sick and tired while trying to keep up with all the kids for the summer break by myself<---- thats where I totally lost it and the anxiety shot through the roof. I know though everything will work out, it always does...I've yet to see life get so crazy that I can't get a handle on it. Anyways I'm gonna go with mind over matter here and hold on tight haha!! I truly hope for you to feel some peace and I can almost promise you as soon as your anxiety lessens so will the dry heaving. :hug:
xdxxtx Hi hun...Sorry you have some of this crappy anxiety too!! I agree that distractions are good!! Sounds like you've got a good handle on it and found something that works!! :hug:

Ladies, these posts have me in tears right now as I type this. I've been experiencing anxiety and morning sickness hand in and non stop for 7 days now. I started feeling very nauseas last week for a couple of days, but wasn't sure if I should take a pregnancy test because my periods have always been abnormal, so being two weeks late didn't concern me. But I figured what's the harm just in case because I had never experience nausea without vomiting for so long. Test came up instantly positive and I am so happy. Even though I have been dealing with an anxiety disorder for over ten years, I knew that taking meds like the benzos I was taking every other month if needed if I had anxiety would not be good for the baby. So when the morning sickness increased, anxiety increased and as caused me to be able to keep sips of water down. Gingerale makes me burp which induces more vomiting. So yesterday I went to the emergency room after 2 sleepless nights and was put on an IV for dehydration and given zofran and MORPHINE for the pain...I was so out of it and desperate I allowed it but regret it. It was my first experience and I'm pretty sure in counteracted with the zofran. I came home and took my next dose of zofran when I got my script filled, and nothing. No relief and it was getting worse, so I took another (a total of 8mg)...then the anxiety kicked in like never before. I lost my abilty to stand on my own, began to hyperventelate, and almost fainted. My boyfriend called an ambulance and they found my BP was very high and since I was in the ER just hours prior, they took me back but they made me feel horrible. They kept saying you know this is all in your head right? I asked for oxygen to help me and they refused... My fingers, then hands, then arms up to my elbows became numb. When they got me to the hospital they put me in a wheelchair and left me almost lifeless in the crowded waiting room! I was so weak from not sleeping, being dehydrated and in pain, I couldn't hold myself up or open my eyes thank god my boyfriend was there with me. After sitting there 4 hours, my body began to give out so we took a cab home without even being seen by a doctor..and the is Johns Hopkins Bayview!! Finally when I got home after shaking moaning and dry heaving with my boyfriend rubbing my back, I passed out. I finally slept for 6 hours and even though I haven't left the bed except for to the bathroom, I managed to drink a 32oz gatorade and a cup of applesauce. Not much but progress still. Now as my anxiety started to return (for some reason it comes more at night time) I decided to type in my symptoms online and found this site. I somehow feel better knowing that other women experience what I am going through right now. I just want a healthy baby and to be as healthy as possible for my baby but I don't have enough support to over come all this anxiety on my own now. But thank you all for sharing it has deffinately helped me this evening

Oh, and luckily the baby checked out fine. We saw the ultrasound and heard a healthy heartbeat. The dr says I will be 7 weeks tomorrow and I am overall healthy except for being dehydrated and the anxiety. Just worried about the food intake since I've already lost 6lbs. I've found that oddly enough, disney movies and music that brings me back to when I was a child, makes me feel more peaceful, helping the anxiety, but I'm always looking for new tricks. Again thank you for sharing and taking the time to read my posts.

Jessica

I know this post is old but if anyone is out there can you tell me if you took any anxiety meds when you were pregnant and if your babies were born ok?

Struggling with anxiety during first trimester....:(

I take Zoloft everyday. I take the lowest dose they make, while my anxiety is not gone it is more manageable. I find that for me, chewing gum, mints and solitaire help when in at my worst. I also took this med with my first baby and he is happy and healthy! He had no withdrawl symptoms! I knew for me, taking the med was more important than feeling out of control. Talk to ur doc, weigh the pros and cons. In the end, distraction helps me most!

My god I could have written this myself. I know its an old post but how did you get on in the end?

Hello, this is my forst ever post. I 5 weeks pregnant and it was very much wanted and anticipated pregnancy. I started having anxiety few days ago and it got worse and worse. Years ago i have battled with anxiety and panic attacks, but managed to get it under control with medicine and therapy. I feel like i have taken 3 steps backwards and im very scared it will all come back whilst im pregnant. I havent eaten for few days and im a mess. Has anyone else gone through this and did you receive any help?

Hi! You have already had some great replies but i wanted to let you know i have felt dreadful the last 3 weeks. Ive barely been able to get dressed or get up most days. Im nauseous some days and others i feel exhausted and weak. I have felt down and anxious about going anywhere. Ive not been in a supermarket in 4 weeks! I have not been to playgroup with my toddler for weeks, i have struggled to even go out for a walk. I miss my friends. I feel anxious about having funny turns when im
Alone with my daughter. I honestly think its important to tell yourself its ok to be a little like this for a few weeks, you have to do what you have to do.

Eating little and often if you are not vomiting could really help. I tend to put some salty crisps on my pushchair and take a can of fizzy diet coke with me too. I nibble as i walk and keep drinking. Try some sour sweets or mints. Crackers or toast or cook some cold pasta and nibble that as soon as your quease gets going.

One thing i have struggled with is drinks! Everything tastes manky! Tea yuck, juice yuck, water yuck. I have found summer fruits high juice a god send though.

Also if you cant face going out. Go in the garden if its nice. Have 30 mins of fresh air. The sounds of life outside the house can help. Maybee listen to music too. Keep reminding yourself in a weeks time you will be a step closer to being out this hard part of pregancy. Because it is hard! Its hard because you feel sick and tired. Your foods gross. Cleaning your teeth can be discusting. You feel too drained to get ready and sometimes just trying to get ready can leave you wanting to lay down. You also cant really tell many people at this stage if you are waiting for your first scan. You feel fearful about miscarriage aswel. It really can be a miserable time. But its only temporary and i am pushing myself to keep going now as i have my first midwife appointment on Wednesday and i will be 10 weeks. With dd i was alot better by 3 months.

I hope you feel happier soon but keep talking on here and you will find you are far from alone. Try and push yourself to do something small like walk up the street or go to the shop etc. just do little things to fill your days. Also take time when you are laid down to do something positive like look at names or prams. I dont mean to purchase anything just to give yourself reminders of why you are doing this. It will get better xx

Thank you so much for your reply! It means a lot. I have been to tge docs and ive been giveb anti sickness medicine. It helps a little and seems to calm me down a bit. Im still struggling but i trying my best to keep going xxx

I understand totally hun. Its hard especially in this weather when you wish you could just do normal things. Every day you are getting closer to the best bits. Are your sickness tablets helping? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->