any advise?

hekate

An Angel & an Earth Child
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have had a scan today, which showed part off the membrane detaching...so they referred me to have the fibronectin (sp?) test and it came back positive for preterm labour....

so my questions are:

has anybody had this test and gone longer then two weeks?

what can I expect if baby is born now or in a weeks time? (problems the baby may have, treatment for him, length of stay etc)

and also what should I get/buy/think off?....apart from premmie clothes??? is there such a thing a premmie nappies?

any advise would be really appreciated!:flower:

Hi

I had a positive ffn test but I also had an infection so my labour was pushed along.

Have they mentioned giving you steroids?

At 32/33 weeks your baby may be able to breathe fully on it's own and will basically need to learn to feed and grow. Some babies need a bit of help breathing and will go on cpap which is basically a mask over their nose and puts a bit of pressure into their lungs so it isn't as much work for them breathing. They will probably put a tube down to the stomach for feeding until your lo has established breast /bottle feeding.

Jaundice is common in preemies so may get light therapy for a day.

You will be told aim for their due date to go home but at that gestation there is a good chance they will go home earlier than that.

Unfortunately no one can give you any definite answers as every baby is different so you won't get an idea until they are born.

In neonatal we didn't bring anything initially but once they started putting clothes on we went and bought our own for her. We also used our own blankets. Nappies were provided by the hospital. I am not sure if that will be the case for them all though.

I hope your lo stays cooking for a few more weeks.

Xx

thank you! I realize that nobody can really know/say what to expect, but you given me a good idea of what is possible....thanks so much!
they have started giving me steroids and I will have the last one tomorrow morning....

Both of my boys were born at 33 weeks, Corey my oldest was 4lb 10oz needed a few days on cpap and under the uv lamps for jaundice. He was in nicu for 1 week 6 days and Harvey was 5lb 2oz needed a week and a bit on cpap then he was able to come home after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed your LO stays cooking for a bit longer xx

aww thanks kimmyttcno3 that sounds reassuring!

Hi

2 of mine were born at 32 weeks, dd1 was in hospital around 2wks and dd3 was in 3wks both mainly breathing and feeding problems. My ds was born at 35 wks and he was in 4 weeks it really depends on the baby and how strong they are to fight. Your lo has good chance it will only be breathing and feeding.
I used boots premature nappies but pampers do them as well, don't buy too many prem clothes as they grow so quick and if your baby goes in incubator then you wont need clothes for a while. Most places sell early baby clothes now hope you can hold on a few more wks xxx

Sophie was born at 27 weeks weighing 1lb 13 but I had the steroid injections which really helped her lungs. She breathed on her own for 30 minutes after she was born but was ventilated for a day or so after getting tired. She was on CPAP till 37 weeks (although they did start cycling her off it a while before that - 37 weeks was when she fully got rid of it). She was in intensive care for 7 weeks, high dependency for 3 weeks and special care for 2 weeks, and came home 6 days before her due date weighing 5lb6.

She had jaundice which is common, as 25 weeker said, and had phototherapy for a day, and one blood transfusion which is also apparently very common.

We were in the same hospital as 25 weeker so as she said, they provided nappies and outfits once Sophie was big enough for clothes, but we did take in a few of our own outfits for her too.

Your baby has had a few more weeks inside to mature a bit more which is a good thing - but Sophie did really well even at 27 weeks and is now 6 and a half months and doing brilliantly. xxx

mumof42009 - just goes to show, you just don't know what is going to happen...glad all your babies got out of hospital fairly "quick"....must be so hard to not being able to be there all the time

katy1310 - glad sophie is doing well! such amazing little fighters!

sorry no advice but just wanted to send :hugs: to you all and hoping your lil man will hang on and be safely born!
I had a couple of bits of early baby clothes but I just got rid of them the other day :dohh:
Wishing him a happy and safe arrival and hope he comes home soon when he does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->