Any Estate Agents on??

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MrsT&Ben, Jun 6, 2013.

1. MrsT&Ben

MrsT&Ben Well-Known Member

Or someone who knows about house related stuff?

I am after some advice please!

Would a property be worth more if it had building regs in place for an extension or does it not make any difference?

In an ideal world we would do the work ourselves but it is proving a lot more expensive than we thought. So we are considering selling up.

Thank you in advance :flower:

2. weewdy

weewdy Well-Known Member

It might not be worth thousands more on paper but it is a definate selling point and if you get a few interested parties it could sell for alot more. What are the building regs for?

3. lindseymw

lindseymw Mother of two boys

Do you mean planning permission rather than building regs?

If a house has planning permission for an extension, I don't think it would be worth much more to be honest but it would be a selling point.

4. MrsT&Ben

No building Regs, we don't need planning permission in order to make the changes we wanted to. :thumbup:

5. MrsT&Ben

Its to convert the loft in to a second bedroom.

6. lindseymw

lindseymw Mother of two boys

That makes sense now. Thought you meant an external extension.

Again, I don't think it would add much value (if any?). It will all depend if the buyer would want to look at converting the loft at a later date.

7. ExpectingK

ExpectingK Well-Known Member

I work in Building Control and deal with Building Regs. Its different to planning in that we cant refuse consent to prevent work. Acheiving planning is a selling point but not building regs really. The application cost and a bit of form filling and someone could start work in a few days.

There are 2 different applications you can make and to get formal approval you'd need an architect. Expensive and time consuming with little pay back.

8. MrsT&Ben

Thanks for this. We've had our planning permission refused so building regs is the only way we can go. Not really sure if its the right decision to make but we can't afford to move so kind of stuck!

9. ExpectingK

ExpectingK Well-Known Member

To do a decent loft conversion would probably cost £15k plus so it would be worth factoring in whether a buyer might get thos cost back i.e would the property be worth that much more
    Every street has a ceiling value, however nice the property
    Sorry, I'm ex estate agent too!

10. MrsT&Ben

Thank you! Always welcome advice my husband and I are butting heads over it. We have someone who is willing to do the work for free so we only have to pay for materials but I just don't think it's the right thing to do anymore!