Any experience with a 35 week preemie? Please help!

hello_kitty

Reaction score
Hi ladies I just gave birth on Monday at 35+3 weeks. He was able to stay in 3 weeks longer than his brother. He did well in the beginning required no oxygen and was able to stay in the room with me. I had steroid shots 2 weeks before he came...but gradually things started falling apart. I mean its nothing serious he developed jaundice on the second day and I thought that was typical...he also failed his carseat test twice. The first time they took him to the nursery so I wasnt there to see when he failed it. Second time I was sitting with him when he failed. His oxygen level dipped dangerously and they had to give him oxygen to bring it up. He turned blue! I'm haunted by the image!

After the carseat test fails they arranged for me to bring him home in a car bed that they would loan. They thought the only reason he had trouble breathign was because of the carseat...but the next day they told me he had dips during the night. He was able to bring it up himself most of the time but they still had to monitor him for 24 hours. Today I called in and they said he will not be coming home today because he had 1 major drop in oxygen this morning.

That is the background story. With my 32 weeker he also had no breathing issues except for when he had the bacterial infection and got sick (I think he had a few dips but he was nowhere near coming home anyways being so small so it wasnt an issue).

Is it typical for a 35 weeker to do so well the first 1-2 days and then get worse or do you think there might be some underlying issues that is causing this? I would like some viewpoints on this so I can start a conversation with the doctor. I've heard of babies starting out poorly and getting better day by day not the other way around. He started out doing so well that the doctor said there's a chance he could come home same time as me.

I dont mind him staying in hospital until he perfectly healthy enough to come home but I'm just afraid he caught something (I wonder if this is possible since they are pretty strict about who can enter the nursery).

Please share your experience if you gave birth at 35 weeks. His gestational age is 36w2d today. Thanks

I can't really help but my twins were born at 33+6 5 days ago. The doctors have told us not to worry if they do really well then drop back for a day or 2.

Hope you get to bring him home soon. We've been told to aim for 36 weeks but they can't guarantee it.

I can't really help but my twins were born at 33+6 5 days ago. The doctors have told us not to worry if they do really well then drop back for a day or 2.

Hope you get to bring him home soon. We've been told to aim for 36 weeks but they can't guarantee it.

Thanks! One thing I learned is nothing is for sure so I shouldn't put my hopes up too high. Before he came they told me that if I made it to 35 weeks baby would probably go home same time as me or stay an extra day at most...but things happen! I try to stay positive by telling myself that his brother stayed in nicu for 5 weeks I doubt he'll stay that long. The hospital does want him to go home but it's really up to him. He needs to get past this obstacle. They are more than ready to discharge him anytime long as he doesn't have any dips in 24 hrs.

Hope your twins will continue to do well and get to come home soon!

I have had a 28.6 weeker and a 35 weeker. It's normal for them to take a step forward, and a step backward. My 35 weeker was in the NICU for 3 weeks establishing feeds. I did not have steroid shots with him, and he was on low-flow oxygen during his NICU stay, and a month after he came home.

:hugs: It will get better!

I have had a 28.6 weeker and a 35 weeker. It's normal for them to take a step forward, and a step backward. My 35 weeker was in the NICU for 3 weeks establishing feeds. I did not have steroid shots with him, and he was on low-flow oxygen during his NICU stay, and a month after he came home.

My 35 weeker is a pig! He started sucking the minute he was born. So he never had any problems with feedings but he's been having the desats a few days ago. His last one was 2.5 days ago and I did get steroid shots for him so I'm just scratching my head wondering why he's having these desats. I know establishing feeds takes the longest my 32 weeker didnt get the hang of it til he was over 36 weeks.

My 35 weeker is a pig! He started sucking the minute he was born. So he never had any problems with feedings but he's been having the desats a few days ago. His last one was 2.5 days ago and I did get steroid shots for him so I'm just scratching my head wondering why he's having these desats. I know establishing feeds takes the longest my 32 weeker didnt get the hang of it til he was over 36 weeks.

My 35 weeker ate pretty well, but he did have desats during his feeds for a little while. The desats are completely NORMAL though. I was told even full term babies have them, but they're not hooked up to monitors so you never know. :hugs:

I had steroid shots for my 28 weeker and he had A LOT of desats and bradys.

He's coming home tomorrow morning! I feel that the desats was a phase he went through as soon as ge grew out of it he was right back on track!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->