Any good cake makers out there!?

Pandora83

Reaction score
I'm going to try my hand at making my LO's 1st birthday cake and have a couple of questions if anyone knows, have tried googling but not getting exactly what I want. Firstly, you know when you have "happy 1st birthday' written on the cake board itself, do you put icing over the cake board first or just do it straight on the board? I know I've seen it done but can't think. Secondly, how do you make those alpha blocks things with LO's name? Is there cake inside the blocks or is it just icing? Can you buy them ready made like you can cake toppers?

Don't know if any of that makes any sense, hope someone can help. Thanks!

I normally put icing (sugarpaste/regalice) on the cake board itself. It looks nicer imo, but some dont bother either

I normally use sugarpaste to make the blocks too, so no, no cake inside, more for decoration really. You could keep them after as a keepsake, they go pretty solid in a dark dry place

You can buy it from most supermarkets, it can come in different colours or you can use gel colouring

With the blocks ut depends if they are the cake or just decoration. If its tge make cake id fondant iver blocks of cake. But this may be a bit fidderly for a 1st time

Im making my lbs 1st cake today and tomoz weee making a number 1 chocolate cake. Il post a pic when done

Great site! Thanks for the link! Another quick question, if I use a one shaped cake tin but want a filling....do I use one tin then cut the cake in half for the filling? You can tell I don't do much baking lol. This could be a disaster!

I think you're supposed to make 2 exactly the same and them sandwich them together with buttercream/jam or what ever u fancy. I think if you cut it you could end up with a bit if a mess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->