any gsd or large dog owners?

SophiasMummy

Mummy to Sophia
Reaction score
I wanted to know what hip score numbers are the best im getting a gsd in the next few months, preferably not too young but if I do end up getting a pup obviously I will only buy from someone who can produce hip scores for the parents and if I can see at least one of the parents themselves. I know 4 people that have all bought dogs recently and none of them had hip scored parents, and 3 out of 4 of those dogs have bad hip displasia one has had to have a replacement already at a year and half old so I want to try and avoid something like that happening.

also those who are going to mention adopting, I cant all rescues in my area refuse to rehome dogs to homes with children under 5, else I would adopt xx

For a GSD I think about 9/8 is classed as a good hipscore. The stud should have a lower score than the bitch.

I don't know anything about GSD as i have Dalmatians, but a good breeder will boast a good hip score! and will have the papers to prove it ! don't take their word ! :) i know not what you asked, just pedigree dogs are a minefield and you don't want to make any easy mistakes :) you can likely google and find a GSD club which will have a forum and they would be your best bet :) for questions i mean x

get a mut =] don't have to worry then x

get a mut =] don't have to worry then x

Unfortuniatly mutts are generally small or a small medium size and I like bigger dogs. the only mutts I know of round here are part springer or collie which can be generally very nippy(plus every springer ive ever known has hated me). I grew up with a gsd and 2 labradors so know the easiest and fastest ways to train those breeds which is what I need with LO around xx

Not sure about hip scores but the rescue centres around here will rehome some dogs with young children

Not sure about hip scores but the rescue centres around here will rehome some dogs with young children

They wont do it here we only have a couple rescues near me and none will rehome to people with young children, its really annoying I would love to get a rescue dog x

Hip score wise you want the closest to 0 as possible. The higher you go the worse the hips are.

I have 3 dogs, 1 is a GSD the other a mastiff. Neither are hip scored though x

Look further afield for a rescue then, most GSD pedigrees even with a good hip score will suffer as they get older, as they have been bred to have sloping backs.
If you can try and find a breeder who has the older style gsd, and not neseccarily a pedigree! There are rescues who will home with withs but you would have to prove you are a competent owner. Many tears rescue have many dogs that are looking for homes, and a much cheaper price than a breeder. Beware of fake hip scores and papers.

I know of lots of gds crossed that are huge! We had a lab x mastiff x Newfoundland called 'tiny' at work it weighed 75kg! Keep looking as they are out there. Lab cross GSD, or rottie x GSD are usually quite healthy dogs, but as you know always take care with kids and dogs

Try www.manytears.co.uk they are based in Wales but have dogs fostered all over the UK, so distance may not be an issue. My mum had a lovely GS from them.

My dog was from many tears and my son at the time was only 2.5 yrs old, they don't usuaally like rehoming collies with young kids, but they were fine with me and she had been in fist for a while with kids so knew that she was ok with them.

Think it's also important that the hip scores are relatively equal across both hips from what I know of them - mine's only a GSDxcollie though (other one's an ex-racing greyhound - I don't do small dogs either!)

Ah we got lucky then. I love big dogs too and we came across rottweiler x husky pups =] x

I know of a 5 month old had looking for a home in Gloucestershire, they blunt it nut didt reaise hhow big it would get!
Also welsh poundies have a mastif x gsd 3 yr. Old looking for a home

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->