Any joggers/runners?? Please advise

cparks1

Reaction score
I haven't posted in this section for a long time. I have been walking on a trail at the hospital near by. Just recently I started adding jogging into the mix. The track is concrete and .3 miles around. I am out of shape so I have slowly been working my way up to jogging (it's very hard on my knees). Anyways, yesterday on 3 of my laps, I jogged half the track then speed walked the rest (I do 6 laps everyday, weather permitting). I felt really good, but later on my knees hurt really bad and of course today, they hurt even more and I get sharp shooting pains every once in awhile in my knees. Is this normal for beginners? I know you are supposed to keep at it so your body can get used to the new activity, but I don't think I can do it today (even the walking part). I plan on getting on the treadmill this weekend, but I hope my knees feel better tomorrow.

All in all, I have been eating smart and keeping up walking (just now adding jogging). Last time I went to the doctor, I weighed 182 lbs and I'm, 5'5, I should be at 140 lbs (to be a healthy weight). I feel great and my motivation is summer clothes (tanks tops, shorts, swimsuits), being fat is not an option for me anymore. I'm tired of being overweight. I want to wear cute clothes.

Well done on starting the exercise routine, starting is the hardest part.

Have you got the correct trainers for running in?? It does make a huge difference as trainers designed for running help to absorb the impact on leg joints.

Only do hard exercise every other day, to let your muscles recover. Maybe walk one day and then walk & jog the next, for a couple of weeks, then build up to jogging one day and walking the next.

Also make sure you've warmed up & cooled down properly.

Good luck. :hugs:

Stop running!

Never, ever keep running if you're having any type of pain.

Rest for 3/4 days otherwise you will make the problem a lot worse.

Next time you run, follow RICE for your knee

REST

ICE (ice your knee for about 20mins)

COMPRESS

Try not to job or run on concrete unless you are wearing appropriate trainers. I over pronate, so need to have special in soles in mine as I am more prone to knee pain and shin splints.

ELEVATE

Thank you ladies for the advice. The only shoes I have are light weight and made for walking (as far as I know), so I thought they would be okay for now. It's been almost a week now and I haven't jogged any but my knees feel like they are getting worse. :hissy: It's been really nice here all this week so I have been walking on my lunch breaks (my usual 6 laps). When I walk my knees still hurt, but I push through it anyways. On the inner part of my knees if you poke at it, it feels like it is really bruised. That can't be normal. Wonder if I should go see a doctor?? I'm also thinking I should skip the walking today considering when I went to squat down to pick something up last night, my knees hurt so bad I couldn't stand the pain. I did put ice on them for about 10 or 15 min. Do you think I could have just bruised something?

Ever since having Peyton, my body feels like an old woman and I am only 28. :hissy:

You need to stop altogether, not sop jogging and do walking instead. Totally stop for at least 3 days.

Have you been doing RICE after your walking too?

It sounds like you need proper running shoes. Also, this pain in your knee sounds like a problem with your illotial band https://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/itbs.htm

I would recommend rest until the pain is totally gone, and then follow a walk/run programme - there are many good ones on the internet, I would try to find one that starts with 30 second runs only and build from there

xxx

You need to stop altogether, not sop jogging and do walking instead. Totally stop for at least 3 days.

Have you been doing RICE after your walking too?

I actually haven't done the RICE method (really didn't think I needed to when I was just walking). I alwasy felt great after walking, it was when I started to jog is when I started having the problems. I believe I started jogging on Thursday and Friday. Then Saturday and Sunday I didn't walk or jog, then Monday I started walking again (no jogging). When I do walk, I go on my hour lunch break at work so I really can't put my feet up (but i sit at a desk all day), then I go home to chase around a 10 1/2 month old. I'll try keeping it easy this weekend.

By the way, what do you mean by compress? Sorry if that is a stupid question. The only time I really have to do the RICE method would be after work sometime.

I went ahead and made a doctor's appointment (just in case). As I'm sitting here at work, the inside of my knees are throbbing. :shrug: I got an appointment for tomorrow at 3:45 pm. I'll keep ya posted.

Again, thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be getting the proper shoes to avoid this whole mess and will try the RICE method as well. I appreciate the support. Hopefully I'll be back out there jogging again, I'm anxious to get into shape and burn lots of calories.

Compress is compressing the ice against your knee :)

Walking causes impact on your knee too, just in a different way so if you have any pain and keep walking it will be doing more damage.

Good luck at the docs. :hugs:

Compress is compressing the ice against your knee :)

Walking causes impact on your knee too, just in a different way so if you have any pain and keep walking it will be doing more damage.

Good luck at the docs. :hugs:

I should have known that :dohh:. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->