any mommies having biracial/multi-racial babies?

im Haitian and Dominican and my sons father is Mexican Spanish and French :) no rude comments here , just get how my son is gonna be super cute lol

DS is the one who has the most compliments here. He has the lighter skin (without actually being light-skinned :laugh2:) and people here absolutely adore that.

Most people in Seoul are really open-minded and accepting but DD1 has had kids call her "dirty" in the past. I'm told that anyone who isn't black or white - those of us who are, what? Brown? Caramel? Peanut butter? - are often called "dirty" by ignorants. :/

DS is the one who has the most compliments here. He has the lighter skin (without actually being light-skinned :laugh2:) and people here absolutely adore that.

Most people in Seoul are really open-minded and accepting but DD1 has had kids call her "dirty" in the past. I'm told that anyone who isn't black or white - those of us who are, what? Brown? Caramel? Peanut butter? - are often called "dirty" by ignorants. :/

I read an article about Heinz Ward (who is half Korean half black) visiting Korea and talking to mixed race kids there because it is looked down upon by Koreans.

I read an article about Heinz Ward (who is half Korean half black) visiting Korea and talking to mixed race kids there because it is looked down upon by Koreans.

I've heard this too from people I know who teach English in Korea. It's very interesting. When I lived in Ecuador there was a similar mentality. Brazil is even worse, they have like 20 words for the different race combinations and shades of brown. Columbia is similar. It was one of the coolest/saddest parts of being down there though. No one believed I was American. Haha.

Well, I am 50% Korean and 50% white, and there is a difference in how mixed Koreans are treated even here in the U.S. by full Koreans. But I think it is mostly the older generation that are like that. I know many young Koreans, and they embrace us hanglish speaking hapa peeps as their own.
My SO's family is Italian, but his maternal grandmother is from Germany (she came to the U.S. right after WWII). Both SO and I are dark featured, and yes, I have East Asian eyes. The only comments we have gotten are the typical "you're going to have a little China doll!" comments.
My Korean mom only wants me to be happy and healthy and hasn't really said much either way.

I really like Hines Ward, BTW. I saw an interview with him, and can relate to the way he described his childhood. I also grew up not knowing my father and only being raised by my mother. She was a hard worker, and has always been my number one supporter. When I see him I don't think of him as being part black, part Korean or me being part white part Korean. He is just like me: We are Korean.

I'm Italian and have olive skin, my husband is whiter than white and has big blue eyes. Our little boy has my skin tone and big brown eyes. My friends say it looks like he has a baby tan :dohh:

I am white British and my husband is Japanese and mixed race children are definitely increasing in number in Japan, especially Tokyo. Nothing like in the UK where no one would bat an eyelid at any child/adult of any race whatsoever. I'm really pale with mid blonde hair and very tall for a woman (180cm/5'11") husband is much shorter than me and he hopes if we have a boy that they will be tall like me.

Glad I found this thread. I don't know what I am (And apparently look like a lot of things?) but I will classify myself as "white" (I am adopted). My DH is Vietnamese and a quarter Scottish. It will be interesting to see what our babies will look like but I know they will be adorable. I haven't received any negative comments about baby. I have had my fair share of negative comments about dating out of race ( which i find amusing, but its not from family or friends thankfully).

I wonder how Hines Ward identifies himself culturally. There aren't many Asians in the NFL, so in that sense it may have been easier for him to identify with the black side of his heritage in his career, but being raised just by his mom I'm sure he grew up eating Korean food and learning some of the language.

I would love to teach my child to speak Spanish, which would be funny because I speak Spanish but baby's Hispanic dad can't even roll his r's.

I'm black and husband is white :)
My sister is also pregnant and has a white fiance.

Not a horror story but I'm a house wife right now and often go to the store with his grandmother. Everyone thinks I'm her caregiver lol. I wouldn't be shocked if I was thought to be a nanny. My mom is VERY pale (found out via blood test that my grandma is actually more British and French South African than actually black lol.) I wouldn't be shocked if my daughter or my niece came out and stayed pale too. I'm really dark and people sometimes assume I'm adopted because my mom is so much lighter.

I would love to teach my child to speak Spanish, which would be funny because I speak Spanish but baby's Hispanic dad can't even roll his r's.

I was trying to teach my kiddos Spanish but the older ones are actually working on their Korean while they're here. They both go to primarily English speaking schools but all of their friends are Korean so they've had to pick it up. I'm amazed by how fast they've done it. I can barely string a sentence together.

Here's a question, ladies: How important is your culture/heritage in your family and will it affect how you raise your child?

I mean, my Puerto Rican blood is so important to me and that's why I want to keep up the Spanish with my kids and I like to make sure they know all about Latino culture (especially now that we're living here). But hubbie really isn't that bothered. He never speaks Filipino and is happy to be called "Miguk" (American).

How about you?

My baby is half Chinese and half German /Colombian /French. He's a perfect blend of both of us. :)

I wonder how Hines Ward identifies himself culturally. There aren't many Asians in the NFL, so in that sense it may have been easier for him to identify with the black side of his heritage in his career, but being raised just by his mom I'm sure he grew up eating Korean food and learning some of the language.

I'm definitely teaching my child Spanish. I'm not a Latina, but in my area there almost as many Latino people as Black people. I learned Spanish as an adult, and I definitely think it would be easier for my child if they gain those skills at a young age.

I'm black and husband is white :)
My sister is also pregnant and has a white fiance.

Not a horror story but I'm a house wife right now and often go to the store with his grandmother. Everyone thinks I'm her caregiver lol. I wouldn't be shocked if I was thought to be a nanny. My mom is VERY pale (found out via blood test that my grandma is actually more British and French South African than actually black lol.) I wouldn't be shocked if my daughter or my niece came out and stayed pale too. I'm really dark and people sometimes assume I'm adopted because my mom is so much lighter.

YAS! My worst nightmare.

Here's a question, ladies: How important is your culture/heritage in your family and will it affect how you raise your child?

How about you?

I think it's pretty important just because even though my children will be lighter than me, down here they'll still be considered "black" and sometimes (at least where I live) that means you have to pay special attention to your surroundings and be careful. Especially if it's a boy. I actually had a long talk with my husband about how he'd feel to have his son considered a "black man" and whether he felt like he could teach him how to handle things like the police etc.

Other than that of course I want them to know about the food, how to take care of their hair, family history, history in general etc. There's not really much else that matters or that's "cultural" about being black.

Other than that of course I want them to know about the food, how to take care of their hair, family history, history in general etc. There's not really much else that matters or that's "cultural" about being black.

:thumbup:

Food especially because some traditional soul food is just no bueno health wise.

I think people often make hair so basic. My sister has straight up type 4C hair. My mom and I have mostly 3C with 4A mixed in. If I try to use what my sister does, it basically looks like I dipped my hair in Crisco lol. Dunno how anyone else's hair is but that is something I think we should all keep in mind.

:thumbup:

Food especially because some traditional soul food is just no bueno health wise.

I think people often make hair so basic. My sister has straight up type 4C hair. My mom and I have mostly 3C with 4A mixed in. If I try to use what my sister does, it basically looks like I dipped my hair in Crisco lol. Dunno how anyone else's hair is but that is something I think we should all keep in mind.

Agreed. Plus, it's pretty awesome that you know what 3C and 4A mean. --- that's my hair type. On that note, I'm hoping for a boy :happydance:

Ok I have to say something that might not be too pc...I'm Hispanic, Mexican and Spanish but I'm light skinned because im mostly Spanish, my husband is as white as they get lol, freckles and all hehe so our daughters are definitely fair, the only way you can tell they have any Latino in them is their hairy backs lol! They looked ethnic when they were born as they were darker and both had full on black hair but now my oldest has med brown hair and my youngest has nearly blonde hair!!!! My kids are the only ones in my entire family that do not have brown eyes.

Ok I have to say something that might not be too pc...I'm Hispanic, Mexican and Spanish but I'm light skinned because im mostly Spanish, my husband is as white as they get lol, freckles and all hehe so our daughters are definitely fair, the only way you can tell they have any Latino in them is their hairy backs lol! They looked ethnic when they were born as they were darker and both had full on black hair but now my oldest has med brown hair and my youngest has nearly blonde hair!!!! My kids are the only ones in my entire family that do not have brown eyes.

I know someone with a white mom and a biracial dad. He has straight hair, blue eyes, and freckles lol. His full sister has wavy hair, dark skin, and brown eyes. You just never know.
Also know someone born and raised in Mexico (no known Spanish decent) that is blonde with blue eyes. Genes are a funny thing lol.

I know someone with a white mom and a biracial dad. He has straight hair, blue eyes, and freckles lol. His full sister has wavy hair, dark skin, and brown eyes. You just never know.
Also know someone born and raised in Mexico (no known Spanish decent) that is blonde with blue eyes. Genes are a funny thing lol.

yep, I've seen that before! Even in my own family, some of us are really dark and others are very fair!

Im white and my husband is indian, our baby has the loveliest skin tone.
No one has made any comments at all aside from asking in a nice way what her heritage is. I would go mad if they did make negative comments though!

I remembered seeing this thread in here when I was still pregnant and so when this article popped up on my facebook today I thought some of you might be interested. Genetics fascinates me!

My husband and I are both Caucasian, but my sister is Native American (possibly biracial, her father's heritage is unknown) and she just recently had a baby with her Filipino/Croatian husband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->