~Any Mums here in the police force?

ginab

Mummy to Maggie Mae
Reaction score
Im thinking about joining and wondered if i could ask you a few questions?

Let me know if you are and I will pm you x

would be interesting to watch this thread as Im in college for police foundations (here its the pre-course to policeing school)

I worked in law enforcement for 8 years as a civilian member. I did complete the physical training and university coursework to be a police officer with the same force I already worked for, but decided against it at the end (yes, this was related to being a mother). Feel free to ask me any questions. It's a bit different than the UK but our Canadian system is based off of yours as well so there's a lot of similarities. My OH is still a police officer, albeit a pen-pushing one now.

I worked in law enforcement for 8 years as a civilian member. I did complete the physical training and university coursework to be a police officer with the same force I already worked for, but decided against it at the end (yes, this was related to being a mother). Feel free to ask me any questions. It's a bit different than the UK but our Canadian system is based off of yours as well so there's a lot of similarities. My OH is still a police officer, albeit a pen-pushing one now.

why did you decided against it? Im in canada :thumbup:

I went to police academy as well, never actively worked...I knew I wanted to be a mommy and I knew I didn't want to be a police officer while doing it

I worked for the police and I am now a bylaw enforcement officer (peace officer) but it's not the same, and I just basically do summons and court things.

My dh is an active pc. I used to be in the special constabulary - I decided not to give up my career (Vet nurse) to join the regulars. But feel free to ask me and I can ask him! There are lots of serving mummys in the force, but I dont know if they joined first and then had children or had children and then joined!
My bff is a dc in cid too.
xxx

why did you decided against it? Im in canada :thumbup:

I'll be honest :) Remember, there are plenty of mommy police officers that are happy so don't take my 'negativity' as a universal truth.

It's mainly the hours and the training to get there.

The training here in Canada requires 6 month minimum residential training in Saskatchewan (which is about a 2 day drive from where I was, and a 6 day drive from where I am now!). It means leaving baby/hubby behind for 6 months with only rare visits.

After the training, you can be transferred anywhere in the country (and it's a big freakin country). If you are able to get into a municipal department, then you can stay in the same place, but it's harder to do.

The hours- this was the dealbreaker. 4 on, 4 off (6am-6pm 2 days, 6pm-6am 2 days), always sleeping whenever you can, a good 10-15 hours of overtime per week if lucky, never knowing when you get home.

For example, if you are off at 6pm and a shoplifter etc. occurs before the 5pm guy shows up, you need to take the primary on the call (which means you are there until 10-11pm writing up charges, this is often not negotiable). It means having random people pick up your child from the babysitter, not seeing your child that night.

Court dates on your days off. Full training weeks elsewhere. Yuck! You will miss Christmas, birthdays, holidays, guaranteed, and that doesn't change with seniority (unless you become a detective/other major crimes but that takes a good 5-10 years experience first)

The good- of course, the money is good, the job is stable, the job is FUN, there's room for advancement. But it's not a very mommy-friendly job, at least out here.

I hope that helps you make your decision. There are a lot of practical things that people don't realize until they work in law enforcement themselves.

I worked as a civilian member and did not have to go away for training, got better hours (flexible, still overnights tho), and I loved my job. The only reason I don't do it anymore is because we've moved to a French province and my French isn't good enough. I'll probably go back when my language improves.

Hi,
I'm a Police officer. Your welcome to PM me x

Hey Im a police officer too :) Absolutely love it :)

Ur more than welcome to PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->