Any ones LO under not on the centiles for weight?

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi all, just been reading various posts linked to underweight premmies and premmies on the lower centiles. My LO is not even on the charts for weight (under 0.4th) she is about 9th for head and hight. She had a pda that went undetected until 11 1/2 months when she had surgery so i think this explains the weight gain being so slow. She had surgery at the end of Nov and has been plagued with all the usual winter illnesses (as we had expected) so has gained and then lost for the last few months. She's 14 1/2 months actual (approaching 13 months corrected) and is only 14lbs. Her paed seems happy as she's reaching most milestones at appropriate times and is healthy in general. She has a dietician however i do feel its more like getting common sense given to me (add cheese, butter etc) she's really active and has just started walking so i find it really difficult to 'help' her gain weight. I feel that she will never catch up as the catch up time when she was little and sleeping alot is over. They have never suggested testing for anything else as i think they feel the pda explains it but maybe they should? - they missed the pda so not much confidence it the docs! Anyone else in a similar situation or have any good advice on what i could do? I no longer take her to clinic as its soul destroying and sick of explaining again and again about her age, surgery etc so weigh her at home. Anyway rant and post over...let me know is this strikes a cord with anyone, thanks!

Not much advice to give dear but if it helps......

Jessica is on the 50th centile for her head, between the 0.4th and 2nd centile for her weight and is below the centiles (off the chart) for her height.

My lo is 14 months actual / 11 months corrected next week and is 14lb 12oz. She is on 0.4th centile for her corrected age and off the graph for actual. Her height is in the 9th centile.

She was weighed on fri and only put on 50g in 4 weeks! She is also so active I can't see it improving so no idea when she will catch up. As she has followed a steady line on weight gain the consultants aren't worried. They think it will be several years before she catches up.

My little man is 11months actual / 7months corrected and weighs 14lb 3oz! He isnt even on the chart for his weight but old big head, its 98th for his head!!!

His height isnt on the chart either.

I agree with 25weeker, harry is always on the go and never stops moving so i think thats why he isnt gaining that much, since xmas he has only put on 5 oz but the doctor isnt too worried, just think he will be little. He is on nutri prem and we have to add cheese and cream and butter to all his foods but doesnt sem to make much of a difference.

We were told they will catch up at the age of 2 x

We plot Andrew's weight on the Low Birthweight Boy's chart (linky repaired [URL="https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/child-health/research-projects/uk-who-growth-charts-early-years/uk-who-growth-charts-early-years[/URL]) because he is well below the 0.4th percentile for weight, height & head. These low birthweight charts have extra curves plotted at the -3 & -4SD (standard deviation); Andrew was following the -4SD curve but over the last six months he's climbed up a bit to the -3SD.

What it does mean is that he's putting on weight appropriate for his corrected age, but he's not particularly catching up weight/height-wise with children of the same age. The paediatrician has stopped nagging us about this, and we haven't seen the dietitian for three months (and I'm not in a particular hurry to see her again). Short of force-feeding him, we can't get more calories into him!

Connor is very similar to Marley's Andrew. We plot on the prem chart. He has.improved in height recently but still not on the charts. Weight has adeo difficult to improve, he is active and a fussy eater!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->