Any other vegans?

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I'm a vegan. I switched to a vegan diet about 4 months ago. Only my parents and my bf's mother know about the pregnancy, and I'm under a fair amount of pressure from both of them to abandon veganism because they don't believe I can have a healthy pregnancy without meat or dairy. I have considered this and researched it somewhat, but I truly believe I can get everything my baby needs from a plant based diet.

I was just wondering if any others out there had gone through pregnancy on a vegan diet, and maybe had any advice on any useful supplements or vitamins I could be taking just to make sure?

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and 2 pregnancies with no issues. Last pregnancy I drank a lot of soy milk but I have had an aversion to eggs both times bringing my vegetarian diet closer to vegan. I have never had issues. Focus on protein intake and talk to your Dr about it. This won't be the only time someone will have an opinion about your pregnancy lol

Me !! I've been vegan for 8 years :) unfortunately I've only had one pregnancy that resulted in an ectopic, but the baby was thriving even when it shouldn't have been. My docs are so supportive and said that whatever is sustaining my healthy lifestyle will sustain the baby's. And all of my levels came back excellent on the bloods.

I'll offer you two wonderful resources. The first is a book called "the vegan pregnancy survival guide" that I got off Amazon.

The second is a vegan blog called "oh she glows". The blogger is a vegan chef with a published cook book. She had a baby last September and added a pregnancy blog to her site. If you go back to the early days of that blog, she talks about what supplements she took after a ton of research. During my pregnancy I took the exact same supplements and amounts she recommended. Some calcium, iron, vitamin d and b12 in addition to the prenatal. So if your family is worried you can shove a bunch of vitamins in their face to quiet them up ;) after 8 years can you tell I'm fed up with all of the silly comments I get?? Lol

Best of luck to you and congrats ! I think vegansim will be wonderful for your baby :)

My sister is a vegan and about 6-7 months pregnant. She is healthy and baby is a perfect size and health. Do your research and implement the healthy foods that cover all your nutritional needs and you I'll be fine. Stick to your guns. It is your body and you control what goes into it.

I'm a pescetarian myself (so do eat fish and shellfish) and my GP wasn't super worried, especially when I told him I eat fish 3-4 times a week.

As a vegan, I think as long as you make sure to get protein 3-4 times a week (e.g. through beans) than you should be good. As for dairy, maybe take a calcium supplement instead as your baby does need calcium for the development of healthy bones.

As for your mother and MIL just ignore them. It's definitely nonsense that you have to e.g. eat meat to have a healthy pregnancy:dohh: I feel you though as I went pescetarian in 2012 (so a couple of years before DH and I started TTCing) and got lots of comments from both my MIL and toxic mother.

Me !! I've been vegan for 8 years :) unfortunately I've only had one pregnancy that resulted in an ectopic, but the baby was thriving even when it shouldn't have been. My docs are so supportive and said that whatever is sustaining my healthy lifestyle will sustain the baby's. And all of my levels came back excellent on the bloods.

I'll offer you two wonderful resources. The first is a book called "the vegan pregnancy survival guide" that I got off Amazon.

The second is a vegan blog called "oh she glows". The blogger is a vegan chef with a published cook book. She had a baby last September and added a pregnancy blog to her site. If you go back to the early days of that blog, she talks about what supplements she took after a ton of research. During my pregnancy I took the exact same supplements and amounts she recommended. Some calcium, iron, vitamin d and b12 in addition to the prenatal. So if your family is worried you can shove a bunch of vitamins in their face to quiet them up ;) after 8 years can you tell I'm fed up with all of the silly comments I get?? Lol

Best of luck to you and congrats ! I think vegansim will be wonderful for your baby :)

Thank you! I will definitely get that book and check out that blog :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement everyone. It is incredibly annoying when people give uninformed advice, but I guess I should get used to it, lol.

I will be sure to eat lots of protein and take plenty of supplements :) I am already taking B12 so will look at adding calcium and iron.

I'm glad other people have managed vegan pregnancy with no issues - their comments were stressing me out as I really didn't want to compromise my priniples.

You've all cheered me up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->