Any-thing an essential in early days??

kittycat18

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of the ladies from the United Kingdom bought any-thing for their little ones that perhaps wasn't an "essential" but they found to be of brilliant use in those early days?? :flower:

mine are really obvious but often forgot about and not really for baby more for mummy
- nappy sacks if you are not using washable nappies first few poos can be awful and stink if just thrown in the bin
- dressing gown for you getting up in the night to keep you warm
- stocked up cupboards and freezer incase you dont feel like cooking from scratch

Baby bath wasnt an essential item for me. I used a cheap washing-up bowl instead.

To be honest ive really not used much at all. Her clothes, nappies and obvious extras in the changing department though its useful to have a set upstairs and a set downstairs for changing.
The only thing i got that was extra and i used was some colic drops. Helped us out a couple of times when we needed sleep!
Burp cloths have been very useful. I bought a set of muslin squares but the price was ridiculous for what they are! I found cheap tea towels from ikea were just the same (19p each i think).
For stains that you cant get out of babies clothes (happens all too often!), some cold water with Miltons sterilising liquid/tablets. Soak the clothes in it (mixed to the instructions) for an hour and it takes it right out :) I wished id known that one sooner than i did!

Bibs lots and lots of them...muslin squares again lots and lots of them.
Defo nappy sacks
milk powder dispenser...especially for the night. I had about 3/4 bottles on my bedside table with the powder ready next to it, so i could make a feed in under 20 seconds. lol

and defo some help around the house...hubby was off for 3 weeks it was a blessing.

defo muslin squares, i got a pack of 12 & it just wasnt enough, had to buy another pack of 12.

Lots of extra sleepsuits and vests - our LO threw up / spat up loads in the first 2 weeks and we went through 4-5 changes of clothes a day.

I wish I'd researched formula more. I planned to bf and that was that but it didn't work out. Happy with the formula we ended up with but would have preferred to have made an informed decision. Also wish I'd bought some formula to have in the house. Mothercare do fab 12pk ready to use bottles with throwaway teats (same as hospitals use) - wish we'd had 1 of those ready and waiting just in case.

yeah defo lots of sleepsuits...i never bothered with outfits, i took me alone a good 20mins to change the nappy, but a new vest and sleepsuit on. You don't want to bother your little one with tights, dresses and 1000 other things and it makes nappy changes when youre out and about so much easier. lol

Thanks for all your suggestions. I had seen muslin squares in shops a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a clue what they were from and neither did my mother. So when I researched them on-line they seemed like a bit of a waste of money whereas you can just change your t-shirt. But after reading more and more about them- I have decided to pick up a couple of packs in the next Asda baby event! :happydance:

I wish I'd researched formula more. I planned to bf and that was that but it didn't work out. Happy with the formula we ended up with but would have preferred to have made an informed decision. Also wish I'd bought some formula to have in the house.

Woah! I never even thought of this option! I intend to breastfeed my baby for 6 months until I wean them onto solids and I had obviously thought about if they didn't take to the breast. But had never actually thought about buying formula milk for them JUST incase!! Thanks for the idea :hugs: xox

Thanks for all your suggestions. I had seen muslin squares in shops a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a clue what they were from and neither did my mother. So when I researched them on-line they seemed like a bit of a waste of money whereas you can just change your t-shirt. But after reading more and more about them- I have decided to pick up a couple of packs in the next Asda baby event! :happydance:

I wish I'd researched formula more. I planned to bf and that was that but it didn't work out. Happy with the formula we ended up with but would have preferred to have made an informed decision. Also wish I'd bought some formula to have in the house.

Woah! I never even thought of this option! I intend to breastfeed my baby for 6 months until I wean them onto solids and I had obviously thought about if they didn't take to the breast. But had never actually thought about buying formula milk for them JUST incase!! Thanks for the idea :hugs: xox

I was the same as you hun...hubby rushed out to buy formula (of course he picked the most expensive one lol) at 7am while baby and I were both crying lol Defo gonna have some formula in the house this time "just in case" and I'm defo better prepared for breastfeeding.:thumbup:

Men eh? Always coming back with the most expensive option instead of the most practical one :haha:

I will get a small amount of formula and formula bottles just incase xox

I think the cartons of milk might be a good option to have in the house just in case.

Ah yes I never even thought of those!!! Your a fountain of knowledge :haha:

Definately a baby swing.. Had a bouncer and it was rubbish so my mum went out and got me a swing when I got home from hosp and it was amazing for when I needed a break etc. xx

if ypu're planning to BF, a cream called lasinoh is an absolute godsend for sore boobs!!! sorry if ot's tmi but noone told me that BF is bloody hard work for the forst few weks, my midwife suggested this cream, it's quite expensive at £10.00 but i used it with molly when i started BF then for her nappy rash, again wen she had cradlecap and also when she had chicken pox it is absolutely amazing stuff!! oh i also used it on my chapped lips at christmas too! x

I recommend breastshells from Medela and Lansinoh cream to get you through the first couple of weeks breastfeeding when nipples are very tender, the breastshells stop anything touching your nipple and the lansinoh cream really helps to soothe and heal, these really helped me.
I also recommend a bouncy chair, mine has been a godsend its nice and light to carry from room to room allowing me to shower, tidy up etc whilst my little boy sits in it quite happily.
I also love my cuddledry towel, its a luxury but I've used it every bathtime since I bought it. Its an apron style so it frees up both your hands to get your little one out the bath and snuggled up quickly, it stops me from getting soaked and its sooo soft plus he looks super cute wrapped up in it with the hood up!! :)

I loved my baby swing - for the first 3 months LO wouldn't sleep in anything else! I know some babies don't like them though so it might be worth you getting a 2nd hand one.

Muslin cloths - I have around 40!!

Fluffy dressing gown for early morning/middle of the night feeds to help you keep warm and cosy, and for LO to snuggle into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->