• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any tips for a momma who is having a csection, but so desperately wants natural

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
So due to my unplanned csection last pregnancy and the position of my daughter I ended up with a vertical section, which means I am NOT allowed to attempt a VBAC:( I have a midwife that has taken me on as a client, that is doing all my prenatal and postnatal care. My csection is booked for May 30th. So my question is, how can I keep things as close to 'natural' after my surgery. Am I making sense? Breastfeeding tips, vit K(yay or nay?)

My husband and I and our two kids see a chiropractor on a regular weekly basis for adjustments, and within 24hrs of the baby's birth he/she will get a first adjustment. So I'm happy about that.
Just really looking for tips on how to prepare or take care of baby and I after all those drugs in my system from the csection.

Thank you ladies:)

Look up "natural c-section plans" or "family-centred c-sections." :) There are some great tips for having an empowering c-section, like making sure that your baby gets immediate skin to skin with you or your partner (if everything is okay) and that you initiate breatfeeding as soon as you can. In many provinces, your midwife will be in the OR with you and sometimes the midwife is able to even "catch" the baby with the assistance of the OBs. You can also request that they delay the bath, weighing, and measuring, and all non-essentials until you, your partner, and the baby have had plenty of time for bonding and skin-to-skin.

You can certainly decline vitamin-k, it's your choice. You can take supplements yourself and nurse on demand and those vitamin-k levels will go up soon. Or you can do the oral version instead. It's totally your choice and hopefully the hospital respects whatever you choose.

Here are some nice links on natural / family-centred c-sections.
https://www.improvingbirth.org/2013...esarean-taking-back-control-of-my-sons-birth/
https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/09/18/a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/
https://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/10-tips-for-a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/

Look up "natural c-section plans" or "family-centred c-sections." :) There are some great tips for having an empowering c-section, like making sure that your baby gets immediate skin to skin with you or your partner (if everything is okay) and that you initiate breatfeeding as soon as you can. In many provinces, your midwife will be in the OR with you and sometimes the midwife is able to even "catch" the baby with the assistance of the OBs. You can also request that they delay the bath, weighing, and measuring, and all non-essentials until you, your partner, and the baby have had plenty of time for bonding and skin-to-skin.

You can certainly decline vitamin-k, it's your choice. You can take supplements yourself and nurse on demand and those vitamin-k levels will go up soon. Or you can do the oral version instead. It's totally your choice and hopefully the hospital respects whatever you choose.

Here are some nice links on natural / family-centred c-sections.
https://www.improvingbirth.org/2013...esarean-taking-back-control-of-my-sons-birth/
https://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/09/18/a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/
https://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/10-tips-for-a-family-centered-cesarean-birth-plan/

I agree. I just wanted to add to make sure you tell your dr that you will be breastfeeding so they can give you medications that coincide with breastfeeding. Also some nurses will push for your baby to be fed formula right away as you will be "tired and unable." Just make sure your husband is aware of your wishes so that he can speak on your behalf as you may not be fully conscious when everything is done. The initial check-up can wait and you can give your baby the first feeding.

As for Vitamin K shots, they are not mandatory though many doctors will try and scare you about the possibility of bleeding out. Truth is this rarely happens and if you are breastfeeding you can just increase your vitamin k levels and it will transfer to the baby. This can be done naturally with supplements or by eating green leafy veggies high in vitamin k.

do look up those natural c-section plans :)

I do have to say, after reading up on peer reviewed journal articles about vit K injections, I who want to refuse everything, am going to get it and not chance it. Esp if you exclusively breast feed, those babies dont get vit K even if you up your intake, and the oral isnt as effective, has to be multiple doses, and people often forget them after a while. The bad effects from low vit K can reach months later.
I can try to send you the article if you are interested.

Personally I am refusing the hep b shot (babies are not a risk group unless mama has it) eye goop/drops as I dont have any STD's that would make this necessary, and I want my baby to be able to see after birth.
Skin to skin ASAP and if you cant - have them hand baby over to hubby. But there should be no reason, barring emergency that they cant pop baby right on your chest while they stitch you up

Thank you ladies, really appreciate your input. My midwife will be with me during the csection, and the doctor doing the surgery is very open to helping me get as close to natural I can. He will be doing delayed cord clamping for at least 90 seconds, which is not long, but better than most babies get during a csection. Also no eye ointment, and will have skin to skin right away. Baby will be getting vit K injection, due to csection babies Having higher risk of bleeding. My midwife also strongly recommended it.
And in Canada babies don't get the Hep B shot at birth, which is good. Baby won't be vaccinated at all anyways.

Thank you ladies for your advice...I have 2 1/2 weeks until my csection...can't wait to meet this little one;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->