Any tips for better sleeping? PLEASE HELP!

JennyOwens

Pregnant - 2nd time round
Reaction score
Hiya

I have a confession to make: I rock and/or feed Dylan to sleep. At first it didn't seem such a bad thing but now I am beginning to regret it! So I have decided that next weekend we are going to work on getting him to fall asleep on his own.

Our current bedtime routine is: tea (fruit and baby rice) at about 5-5:30 pm, then a cuddle and a chat with Daddy before going to his nursery with me at about 6:15 for a feed (breast). Before we go into the nursery I have already drawn the curtains, turned the lights off (with the exception of a lamp on very low) and changed his nappy. He normally feeds well on both sides before falling asleep sucking. I then pop him in his cot (he's already in his sleeping bag). Often he doesn't stir but if he does I rock/cuddle him back to sleep. I then leave him with the lamp on low and the door open an inch and a light on outside in the hallway.

Dylan is still waking in the night despite not being hungry and is needing to either be rocked or fed back to sleep. :dohh:

So we have decided he needs to learn to fall asleep on his own - the idea being that then if he does wake in the night he won't need us to help him back to sleep.

So I have devised a cunning plan! And I was hoping you yummy mummies could give me your opinion...

We are not going to actually do the falling asleep alone bit of the plan until next weekend (as we are both around to give the other naps if it all goes pear-shaped!) but I was thinking of making a few subtle changes between then and now. I was going to start by closing the door tonight and then also turning the lamp off a few nights later. At the same time we are going to rock/bounce him less and less to get him to sleep - our plan is that as his cot doesn't rock or swing it will be easier next week.(?!?)

I'd like to avoid too much crying next weekend but I think that because we've rocked him for so long its inevitable that we will have some. I've read one method where baby is settled in your arms and then put in his cot awake. If he hasn't settled in 5-10 mins you should pick him out again and re settle. But wouldn't this just teach LO not to settle as he'll get a cuddle??

I read another where you sit next to his cot and sing/pat baby until he falls asleep. This sounds nice but I know Dylan is not going to go to sleep easily.

Please tell me what you think of my plan and whether you used any different methods to get your LOs to sleep on their own. Be honest. I'm dreading next weekend!

Also - should I introduce a story or song at bedtime or feed him a bit earlier so he isn't so sleepy? What are people's opinions on mobiles. We have one but it isn't used. It seems to be too exciting for sleeping!

So many questions...!!!

You might want to read the No cry sleep solution.
Lots of good advice.

How about keeping him awake longer? Perhaps try a later bedtime? It seems that starting the nighttime routine at around 5-6 PM is too early IMO. That way, he is pretty wiped from the day and it doesn't take much for him to fall asleep? Also, a warm bath and feed before bedtime. That's what helps my little girl to relax. Just a thought.

Dont really have many suggestions, but I agree, that bed time seems kind of early for a baby that young. I guess it depends on what time you and your hubby go to bed.

I know we dont usually go to be until 11pm, and up by 7am... So for us having the baby sleeping during those hours will be more beneficial to us.

Thanks for the advice ladies

I have thought about a later bedtime but he is so tired that he's almost impossible to keep away without him being really grumpy. Once he's asleep for the night he will stay sleepy until 7 in the morning - its just the falling asleep without us rocking or feeding him that I need to fix I think.

Although, I love having the evenings to myself to get on with chores is so nice!

I've read a bit about the No Cry Sleep Solution so may look into it some more - it just seems that it will take months and months to actually see any benefit.

Try and get him into a routine hun.

We had a routine with Caitlin from when she was little. We would bath her about 6.30, go up to her room at 7 and give her her bottle, whilst we were doing this we had a calming night CD on in the background for her and put her in her cot and left her.

We had never cuddled her to sleep so it was easier for us.

Try changing his routine slightly every few days, taking a bit out, and adding a new bit in.

Hope you get it sorted soon hun xx

There's no quick fix solution tbh. I actually think that it's unlikely that a bf baby of 5 months won't get hungry in the night (but everyone's different).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->