Anybody growing their own food?

T-Bex

Mother of one
Reaction score
I'm really into the idea of growing all of our own produce. I always feel so much happier when I've got some fresh ingredients from the allotments that I know is totally organic, than just cooking with ingredients from the supermarket.

At the moment, I have Tilly Tomato and Colin Corgette growing on my windowsill, and Bethan and I sing to them on a morning, and say goodnight before we go to bed. OH, needless to say, thinks I've finally lost the plot from spending 99% of my time alone with Bethan, but nevermind!

Anyone else have a vegetable patch (which is my next undertaking, once I have enough confidence in my greenfinger skills!), or plan on growing your own stuff? And do you have any tips for the rest of us?

I really want to but everything I plant the bloody rabbit digs up and eats!!! Grrr xx

Hahaa! Love it! Singing to the plants!

I'd like to but my garden is pants. Its all clay and absolutely sodden. I normally have a massive pot of herbs on my kitchen windowsill but blooming fungus flies reecked their havoc and ruined them all including my orchid :cry:

I'm in a flat just now with a garden but I can never be bothered to go into the garden even if the ground was good so I'm waiting until I move into a house in a couple of years.

I would like to get a couple of grow bags and grow some asparagus or something like that but I don't have the money to go buying lots of grow bags and seeds/plants etc.

Pests are a problem; I lost Obi-Wan-Kenaubergine to slugs. I was devestated!

Need some good natural tips on keeping rid of bugs, really.

YUP! Especially those blooming fungus gnats! They destroyed many a plant of mine. I did read that if your plant is very wet they thrive but its hard not to have herbs wet as they need soooo much water!

:rofl: I love the veggie names! lol

I can't wait to have my own place again so I can grow our own food, I love fresh produce and it's so expensive to buy, I'd rather grow it! My mom and I are tending a garden at her house this year though, all organic. We've got corn, asparagus, tomatoes, spinach, rhubarb, cilantro (coriander) and peas planted so far.

I'm also very interested in growing medicinal and other useful herbs. We have lavender and catnip going (dunno if that last is useful for people but the cats sure like it :)).

LOVE it :rofl:

Maybe I need to look at growing stuff indoors on windowsills and such xxx

I have an allotment, with beans, potatos, butternut squash, onions and tomatos AND plenty of weeds! I love it when I get the time to g down... Working full time and mummy doesn't give me a lot!

Oooh I've got a lavender plant in my front garden too but its kind of dying a death. Its very sparse and twiggy. But I did move it from being in full sunlight to shade so I think I've kind of killed it.
Any one good with knowing what plants work well in boggy clay?? lol

we have all the usuals growing :) my OH has green fingers, so I leave it up to him! MIL and FIL and my bro and his wife have lots too, so we do swapsies and have all sorts :)

That's all I'm doing at the minute. I mean, you can't grow lots and lots, but a little is better than none, I like to think. And, personally, I'm just really enjoying taking care of them, and love watching them get bigger and stronger! They're my new babies! :thumbup:

I like the idea of medicinal plants; there is this series of programmes on in the UK at the minute which tell you which plants to use for various ailments, and it's so interesting!

Homegrown rhubarb... :munch: ... Gnom, gnom, gnom... I turn it into rhubarb and ginger crumble, and it tastes so good, even if I do say so myself! :smug:

That's all I'm doing at the minute. I mean, you can't grow lots and lots, but a little is better than none, I like to think. And, personally, I'm just really enjoying taking care of them, and love watching them get bigger and stronger! They're my new babies! :thumbup:

I like the idea of medicinal plants; there is this series of programmes on in the UK at the minute which tell you which plants to use for various ailments, and it's so interesting!

Homegrown rhubarb... :munch: ... Gnom, gnom, gnom... I turn it into rhubarb and ginger crumble, and it tastes so good, even if I do say so myself! :smug:

That sounds delicious!

I might pick your brains for what works well for growing inside at some point if thats ok?xx

Well last year we grew courgettes, strawberrys, runner beans, potatoes and lettuce :) in our garden :D when Izzie was born though Sam got a allotment so has been getting that ready and so far we've got lettuce, tomatoes, runner beans, onions, potatoes, beetroot, radish, rhubarb, brocoli, carrot, leeks, garlic, cucumber, courgettes, parsnips, pumpkin and some other things growing :D cant wait till there all ready and can enjoy them :D If I get a chance to go up there tomorrow with him I will try and take a piccie :D but I'm hoping OH starts laying my patio tomorrow lol

I did try last year but I somehow manage to kill every plant I come in contact with so it seems unfair to condemn some poor seedling to death just because I have a notion about growing my own food again! :haha:

we are growing our own vegetabkles :D

we have on our windowsills atm 4 tomato plants, 1 yellow pepper plant, 1 red chilli plant, 1 banana chilli plant, parsley and basil, then outside we have a butternut squash plant :happydance:

x

i don't belong in here, but I am growing my own! We have peas, strawberries, lavender (although tbh, don't use it for anything other than it smells nice!), aubergine, beans. I really want to try doing some kind of salad leaf next year but need to get this garden into some kind of order. And also coriander, if that's possible as I buy it most weeks fresh at the moment! I have a few nice outside plants too, and a lovely house plant. I have a tendency to neglect things but I'm really trying this year :thumbup:

i don't belong in here, but I am growing my own! We have peas, strawberries, lavender (although tbh, don't use it for anything other than it smells nice!), aubergine, beans. I really want to try doing some kind of salad leaf next year but need to get this garden into some kind of order. And also coriander, if that's possible as I buy it most weeks fresh at the moment! I have a few nice outside plants too, and a lovely house plant. I have a tendency to neglect things but I'm really trying this year :thumbup:

Of course you do missy!I'm in here,why shouldn't you be in here?! xxx

It is nice to see others!

Does anyone know any good growing tips they want to share? My gardening knowledge is pretty limited, as of yet...

:hi: just thought id poke my head in here because we're growing a lot of our own veggies too!!

Atm i have in my vegetable patch ...

Runner Beans
x2 diff types of Peas
Red Onions
Potatoes
Red Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Tomatoes

Ive always been around a lot of home grown fruit and veggies, extremely satisfying to watch them grow, and they taste soooo much nicer than supermarket veggies. Its just a shame i cant grow them at the same speed and in quantites the supermarkets produce them. Its a real treat when everything is ready to eat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->