Anybody growing their own food?

Ummm you dont need tons of space width way but they do grow quite deep so you'd need a really big pot, or someone posted in another thread a potato barell, you can get them on ebay for about £20, they look really cool

You need to plant the whole thing, sprouts and all right under the soil, they grow really fast!!

Oooh this thread made me so excited!! We dug and planted our first ever veg patch about 2 months ago. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I knew I wanted one, now!!! It's so important to me that my child eats healthily and organically, and I love that we will be able to grow some of that ourselves. I also think it will be so cute for the baby to be able to dig in the garden and learn about how vegetables grow when s/he is old enough...I know that's a few years away, but Mummy needs to learn how to grow them first :D

We've just moved house, so most of the home growing has gone out of the window for the year, but I have a big strawberry pot in a sunny spot in the back garden. Now the strawberries are getting ripe, Rowan takes my fingers and walks me out of the back door, straight to the pot, where she sits down and waits to be fed the day's produce!

katy we dont ahve a garden either, we have the tiniest most ridiculously small yard that barely fits a washing line in LOL

x

We have a very small garden so we're limited, but we have strawberries, tomatoes, peppers and corguettes :)

Can you grow them in pots? Or does it have to be in the ground? xx

We've got a small veg patch.. French beans, courgettes, carrots, kohlrabi.. Did have beetroot but the builders dug em up as we're having a patio done and my veg patch was in the way. :cry: We also have spuds in a bag type thing and also radishes, rocket, lettuce, coriander in pots. Have also got some pumpkins but need to find somewhere to plant them out now as my patch is full up... Poor things are in a tiny pot still with not much growing room!

i have all of my little veg on my utility windowsill which pretty much gets full sun all day, then the butternut squash is in a massive plant pot on the other side of the utility (outside), herbs are just on the kitchen windowsill but they dont get much sun there, its very light just not sunny

x

I wish I could grow herbs and such indoors but the cats would eat them. :roll: I'm really hoping that when DH and I move back in together, our apartment has some sort of patio or balcony where I can keep some plants. My mom had a pretty good experience with those upside-down tomato planters I think, the ones that hang up off the ground? I think I'd like to try those, for hot peppers as well as tomatoes.

here's a pic - im quite proud of how well its all doing so far! Mostly down to OH's work and loving watering every night lol (all i did was plant the seeds and occasionally water them!)
the spuds in the ground, with a courgette in teh middle :shrug: (we did plant carrots in that bed but they never took, should've sprouted them first really), the salad in jute bag (that would work well on a patio / balcony), plastic greenhouse
strawberries & raspberries
blackberries and more spuds
courgettes, beans and peas
we got a load of seeds free from the BBC 'Dig It' website, they all seem to have come on really well!
my mum has got a raspberry bush in pot which is growing really well too and fruits loads even though its only little.

Attachments

• DSC04241.jpg
    DSC04241.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04242.jpg
    DSC04242.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04243.jpg
    DSC04243.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04244.jpg
    DSC04244.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5
Very pretty garden Ellie!

I'm growing this year
Peas
Lettuce, Mixed Greens, & Spinach
Beets
Carrots
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Onions

Herbs in the front yard. All of it is organic. Since we no longer have the dog that digs, I think I have a place to plant zucchini or summer squash next year.

Do any of you ladies compost? Are you having luck with it? My compost seems to take forever--I need to get it hotter.

Anyone raising anything besides veggies? I'm dying to have chickens--but now that I'm pregnant and Dh works out of town I'm not sure I will be able to handle cleaning a coop. But I did find out we are allowed to have up to 6 back yard chickens.

I didn't read all the posts, but I do peas, rhubarb, raspberries and lots of herbs every year, and if I'm brave and have time, I go for tomatoes and beans, as well.
We have a big yard and garden, so it's a lot of work if I go crazy and plant too much.

We are currently looking at buying a house, and one of the major requirements of it is a garden big enough for me to have a large vegetable patch. I will even have a smaller kitchen of living room if I can have the larger outdoor space.

I used to grow things in pots at my old flat but I am so excited at the thought of being able to grow and eat my own produce full time!

Not for salad stuff like lettuce or herbs, they grow so quick.

Not sure about anything else, but you could get some small established plants from a garden centre rather than starting from seed.

thats what i did, bought pre planted ones so they just needed potting on, a lot of them do say summer but weve been having a lovely summer this year so i reckon theyd be ok

x

I was wondering if I could grow garlic on my windowsill?

Were lucky that we have quite a bit of space outside for growing things, but havne' been very organised this year due to me being pregnant and on crutches for the last part of the pregnancy. So we've got garlic, potatoes (2 varieties) Swiss chard, parsley, petit pois peas, various salads, sage, mint, basil, and squash. I want to put a raspberry/soft fruit bed in this autumn so that I can spend next summer sat in the garden eating raspberries striaght off the can, yummy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->