Anybody growing their own food?

i just planted a load of stuff earlier this week, hope something grows out of it !

the last thing i grew was a pumpkin, i watched it sprout, grow leaves, then all of a sudden the darn thing went through the fence and grew a giant pumpkin in my neighbour's garden ! i wasn't impressed :haha:

i just planted a load of stuff earlier this week, hope something grows out of it !

the last thing i grew was a pumpkin, i watched it sprout, grow leaves, then all of a sudden the darn thing went through the fence and grew a giant pumpkin in my neighbour's garden ! i wasn't impressed :haha:

:rofl: Did they give your pumpkin back?

Fab to see so many people venturing in to this thread xxxxxx

no. their kids cut it up :cry: it was a sad day

no. their kids cut it up :cry: it was a sad day

Seriously?!?! How cheeky!! :rofl: :hugs: x

my soil is really rubbish so last yr i grew in pots, carrots parsnips potatoes etc, i had a small plastic greenhouse for a tomato and cucumber.

this yr i've not done so much, mainly potatoes, herbs, spinach, radishes, will do a tomato and cucumber in a few weeks.

i've done spinach, rocket and basil in pots too.

i put shingle around the bottom of the pot to keep slugs away as they wont crawl on sharp stones

x

Yup, we have a veggie patch - its winter here now so its a bit bare - just got broccoli, kale, onions ans spinach in at the moment - oh and a single brussel sprout plant! Oh a some some parsley thats still fighting the frosts.

In summer we have the above plus an assortment of herbs, peas, runner beans, courgettes, peppers, tomatos, cabbage, potatos, beetroot, carrots and eggplant - and lettuce.

And we have chooks for eggs

What are sprouts like to grow? I love them!!

I wanted to try sweetcorn this year but a few people said it was quite hard to get right?

we've tried hard for years! with hardly any success before, thanks to slugs, snails, birds etc :grr: - but this year seems to be going really well! we've got tones of strawberries just ripening (Ks new fave food lol), blackberries, raspberries, apples, cherries (on trees in oh's parents garden) , tons of salad grown in jute bags, beans, peas, courgettes, turnips, tomatoes (in our front porch in pots), basil, carrots, spuds - all looking lush!
we've planted the fruit in the ground but the veg in raised beds, you can build these pretty cheaply using decking boards, or buy them from garden centres (a bit more pricey though). We've found these are brilliant as you can deter slugs more easily (we used 'Slug Off' :haha: and slices of cucumber in foil tins which apparently releases some chemical that they dont like? we tried bloody everything else in past years and they still decimated everything) and they drain well. Also used some plastic cloches over seedlings, after sprouting them in one of those plastic greenhouses which are compact and cheap and seem to work really well for smaller spaces.
Oh and some onions in big plastic pots that someone gave us, and in a little bed at the front by the bins :haha: we've got lavender, sage, rosemary, we did have things like parsley and curry plant but they did get munched.
we've only got a smallish garden but it is looking full of stuff! Yum! (keeps everything crossed !)

I have a bad feeling I'm going to be crap at gardening. :lol: I know I can grow coriander though! Ours comes back every year without help from us, it's spread to random parts of the garden lol.

We actually have a rhubarb that comes back every year too and we've actually tried to kill that thing! It's been (accidentally) set on fire for heaven's sake and it's still alive!

Sprouts are pretty easy, we have a cool red variety!!

I'm into growing my own food too. At the moment don't have much space and the soil is crap, can't wait to have my own place with a garden. Got tomato, butternut and covo growing in pot plants.

i don't belong in here, but I am growing my own! We have peas, strawberries, lavender (although tbh, don't use it for anything other than it smells nice!), aubergine, beans. I really want to try doing some kind of salad leaf next year but need to get this garden into some kind of order. And also coriander, if that's possible as I buy it most weeks fresh at the moment! I have a few nice outside plants too, and a lovely house plant. I have a tendency to neglect things but I'm really trying this year :thumbup:

Last year, i planted out 1 of the pots of coriander i bought from the supermarket & it went crazy! I hardly did anything to it & it grew like mad! Have a go! It did die off in that ridiculous frost we had this year tho... as did my fantastic bay tree :cry: My grandad had that tree for 25 years (was massive, mustve been worth £300 easy), it had started to go a bit dodgy, he gave it to us, we nurtured it back to health, it looked fantastic... & then we go & have the worst frost for 30-odd years & it died :cry: gutted!

We need pictures of these veggies!!! I found a pic of the bay tree last year, im sitting on the herb wall... before the herbs were put in! Will try n post another pic later- it looks much better now! Our veg plot is still a building site tho! :haha:

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 5
Oooh I'm looking at getting pots for on my balcony so i can grow tomatoes & cucumbers like my mum... I haven't got a clue where to start though, so gotta ask my mum for help!

I tried growing herbs indoors once (in silly little pots that you can buy in wilkinsons) and failed miserably. The leaves looked pretty and everything but they were never good enough to use in food :(

i got all mine on offer in wilko's, 50p each already planted and growing, i just ahd to repot them and put them on my windowsill :shock:

x

^^ I saw those on offer in mine, they also had bags of potatoes reduced to like 29p, i had to stop myself from buying about 10 bags otherwise my garden would be like a potato field :lol:

You dont have to buy them you can just use a normal one out of your fridge, just make sure its a "decent" one because you dont want it to be disease ridden, then sit it on your windowsill or somewhere warm for a couple of weeks until it get those little "sprouts", you know what i mean? :lol: Then when they have grown about an inch or two long plant them outside and job done :thumbup:

ooh i didnt know that, do they take up lots of space? cos i only have a tiny tinsy yard

x

oh also, do you cover the sprout bits with soil or leave those sticking out?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->