Anybody have experince w/ IUD

MaybeTTC

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a newbie here, and I have a question about you gals with IUD's.

I've had mine in for about 2 years now, but have never had any children. I recently heard through a friend that having an IUD can increase the likelihood of infertility. Is that true? Have any of you had an IUD and still managed to get preggers after removing it?

Moreover, how long after you removed it did you manage to fall preggers? Especially if you have the non-hormonal one?

Thanks so much!

~J

I had a child prior to getting the Mirena IUD. I am having mine removed in less than two weeks, so I guess we'll see how my fertility has changed. Although, I believe Mirena is a hormonal one.

Well I have the Mirena.. they only let me have it because I already have a baby... but in the little information booklet that lists off side effects things you need to watch for etc. it says about 90% of women fall pregnant within 24 months of having it removed.

I have one that strictly says that it is also suitable for not having bee pregant women because it is available in two sizes. Since it is not hormonal I wouldnt know what could cause infertility.

I don't think the normal IUD experience would cause infertility, I think it's complications of the IUD that causes problems TTC.

People who use IUDs have higher rates of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) which can lead to trouble conceiving. I think that the way this disease causes infertility is scarring of the tubes?? but don't quote me on it. I'm not sure if some of the infections you can get with the IUD in place can lead to problems TTC? Also an IUD can fall out of place, and perforate the uterus which I imagine would affect fertility/future pregnancies.

If it makes you feel any better, both myself and my brother were IUD babies, but I'm sure IUD technology has improved since the late 70s/early 80s! :)

I had an IUD for 5 years. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't had kids though, only because it hurt like hell to have it inserted! Strangely it didn't hurt coming out, but knowing what I do now I probably had it inserted at the wrong time in my cycle! :dohh:

I believe the issues were with the old 70's/80's IUDs which had a really bad habit of moving & burrowing into the lining of your cervix and causing all sorts of damage. But I did a lot of research before I had mine fitted and was quite confident there wasn't a great risk anymore. I had mine out about 3 years ago, so they may even have made more advances since then. But obviously it has to be your decision.

The one thing which was an issue for my DH & I was that you could feel the metal threads & when it was first inserted they pointed straight down like a lance. Ouch. You can have them trimmed again, but they have to leave a certain amount out of your cervix so they can grip it when pulling it back out again...

^ I didn't have vaginal birth but it didn't hurt me at all to have it put in. I did dilate to 10cm though not sure if that made any difference. My gyno has you insert misoprostol to prep your cervix before you come in :) But she did warn me she might not be able to get it in so not to get upset if that's the case. It also costs $350 here (mine was covered, cheaper than birth control pills over time).. so if that's an issue you could ask your doctor not to open the package until she knows so you can try to return it to the pharmacy? Mine said she would but wasn't an issue for me..

^^ Yeah, I think I must've gone at the wrong time of the month & had a totally closed cervix!

I hadn't even thought about the cost for you guys... we get so complacent with the NHS!

Wow! You got to love the US. I had to pay $500 for mine without insurance. I was so bad at taking the pill, I justified the cost because I was really not ready to have children at the time.

Thanks for the replies, I feel more at ease.

J

I had the paraguard one, not sure if its hormonal or not, thinking not but I had it for 4 years then had it removed. I did have a MC after having it removed but I had 2 MC before I ever had the IUD so I'm 99.9% sure the IUD had nothing to do with the MC, just thought I'd give you all my facts. I just delivered a baby so I don't believe it effected my fertility. It took my about 4 months of trying to get preg after having it removed, I'm not sure if the 4 months had to do with the removal or if that was just how long it was 'destined' to take for me to catch my egg :) Good luck to you, I think you'll be fine!

hi i have a mirena coil and up until trying to have it removed ive had it 6 years and never had any problems with it, the mirena contains estrogen and your advised not to have sex 5 days before having it fitted because of the risk of pregnancy and as for having it removed they wont change it if youve had sex in the last 5 days unless you are trying to concieve ! the whole idea of the mirena is that you can catch as soon as it is removed and is ideal for ppl with the intentions of conceiving xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->