Anybody undecided about getting the whooping cough vaccine?

Pearls18

Reaction score
First of all really not wanting this to be a debate or I would have put it in the debate section lol, whatever anyone's decision I am sure the love of our child is central to it.

Usually I am pro vax, I get everything offered to me and my children will too, on schedule, I trust the system. However, I just can't shake my dislike of vaccines in pregnancy, I was talking to my MW and even she said she wouldn't know what she would do and it hasn't been around all that long to know for certain the repercussions, the vaccine itself isn't recommended in pregnancy usually. However, if I thought for a second whooping cough was likely in this area I would get jabbed in an instant as I know that must be avoided, but she said she hasn't heard of it around here. So I have sent an Freedom of information request to the public health board for my area to find out specifically how common it is in my borough, obviously it's just the first 8 weeks of his life that need covering as I will get him vaccinated as soon as he is allowed. I am hoping the number is really low or really high (well not that I want it to be high of course) to make my decision easy either way. I feel so guilty thinking he could be vulnerable but if the chances are extremely low in the first place it seems a risk to have it when not much is known. I had the same dilemma with the swine flu jab last time and am glad I turned that down as some evidence has come up as it having bad effects this year.

How did you come to your decision? Did you just do what was advised or did you look into it a little more? Please share anything you have found :)

I was unsure but I have a friend who works in microbiology at the largest hospital in the area and she advised me to get due to an outbreak so I got it. And the flu one. Lol.

After reading more about it since, I would honestly get it as it's better to have it and not need it than suffer the consequences of needing it and not having it. There may not be an outbreak at the moment but you never know what will happen in a few weeks.

Hi,
I've had mine this morning.
I decided as I had whooping cough twice in my late teens and then early adulthood, neither times were there an epidemic, no idea where I caught it from, and I had all my vaccinations as a child. It was horrible as an adult let alone a newborn! I figured it would be good for me as clearly I'm not protected so a risk to my child, I picked it up from seemingly nowhere, so concerned little man could be like me, and the benefit seemed to outweigh the risk, I figured if it could protect him even a little bit then it's worth it.
Hopefully I've made sense!
Not too sure if I'm gonna have the flu jab or not though...
Oh and I'm 34 weeks if that helps.

Becki x

Also it seems outbreaks aren't helped by people not having immunisations, so figured I'd be doing my bit to prevent an outbreak.

Becki x

Also it seems outbreaks aren't helped by people not having immunisations, so figured I'd be doing my bit to prevent an outbreak.

Becki x

This is what frightens me, my son goes to nursery, he is obviously vaccinated but what if there are children there whose parents didn't? Can my son carry it even though he *should* be immune. Tbh if it wasn't for him I would probably decline because I will probably be a hermit the first 8 weeks lol, but with a toddler obviously we will need to be out and about and he will be amongst lots of children etc.x

I don't know if your son could carry it, that might be worth asking a nurse /gp about. I'd be more worried (which was a reason for me also) about the parents you may meet who may not have been vaccinated or who's immunity has worn off (they now say it does after 12 years but as adults we're able to fight it well so no need for boosters) and may think they have a bit of a winter cough so haven't stayed away and are actually in the early stages of whooping cough. You can meet them anywhere, collecting your son from nursery, local shops, drs or even yourself/husband/other family members.
I would prefer the uk to provide adult boosters (even if I had to pay for it) as the USA does so reducing the need for vaccinations in pregnancy but we have to go with what we've got.

Becki x

I don't know if your son could carry it, that might be worth asking a nurse /gp about. I'd be more worried (which was a reason for me also) about the parents you may meet who may not have been vaccinated or who's immunity has worn off (they now say it does after 12 years but as adults we're able to fight it well so no need for boosters) and may think they have a bit of a winter cough so haven't stayed away and are actually in the early stages of whooping cough. You can meet them anywhere, collecting your son from nursery, local shops, drs or even yourself/husband/other family members.
I would prefer the uk to provide adult boosters (even if I had to pay for it) as the USA does so reducing the need for vaccinations in pregnancy but we have to go with what we've got.

Becki x

Yes this is true also, even if my own family are visiting and of course my husband will be working. And I'm guessing winter is the worst time for any kind of infectious disease?

Out of interest does anyone know what other countries do?

When I was at uni and had whooping cough (I didn't know that's what it was, thought it was a bit of a smokers cough combined with drinking too much!!!) I visited my newborn goddaughter, thankfully I didn't pass it on, but the thought now looking back is terrifying. This is what I'm scared of, people not realising before its too late.

Becki x

I had it after finding out that there hasn't been an outbreak in my area and I'm in a very low risk area. However, the nurse only told me this while I was in there ready to be jabbed. I'd already talked myself into having it at that point. Plus, I knew with having family spread out over the UK who we would be visiting before baby's arrival, and those that would be visiting in those first 8 weeks, it seemed sensible to get it. If that hadn't have been the case, I possibly wouldn't have bothered.

I know USA and I think Australia now is, not sure about others, but I think it's only the countries that have had recent outbreaks.

Becki x

Thank you, I can see now how my "see how many people around here have it" idea is a tad flawed...especially as we live 150 miles away from family who will be visiting! (Although il still be interested to know the stats!)

I've had it. I attempted to get it at 33 weeks but had a temperature so they told me to wait a week, so I had it at 34 weeks. I had a slightly sore arm for 2 days but no adverse effects since.

For me it there was never any question not to get it. Once it was offered to me I naturally did my research but couldn't find any real cases against it, or severe reactions (and of course it says its not proven safe in pregnancy, but that's because as we all know, tests and trials are not allowed on pregnant women so they cannot legally say it is safe) yet there are countless stories about the deaths whooping cough causes. So a no brainer to me and I am really glad I got it. I'm due to have the flu vaccine shortly too :thumbup:

I had it in my last pregnancy and DD is just fine.

A midwife hasn't even mentioned this to me and I wouldn't have even heard of it if it hadn't have been for B n B lol! I'll be asking about it at my 32 week midwife appt. Im all for vacinations, i will probably have it as its better to be safe than sorry.

I cant see how it can be SO important if Im 30 weeks pregnant and had no mention of it lol!

My MW didn't mention it to me either, because of being in a low risk area. However, I'd seen it on here and have several friends elsewhere in the UK who had been strongly encouraged to get it. So I researched it. I wouldn't have even known about it otherwise.

A midwife hasn't even mentioned this to me and I wouldn't have even heard of it if it hadn't have been for B n B lol! I'll be asking about it at my 32 week midwife appt. Im all for vacinations, i will probably have it as its better to be safe than sorry.

I cant see how it can be SO important if Im 30 weeks pregnant and had no mention of it lol!

You can call your doctors office and arrange with them to have it done if you explain how far in the pregnancy you are. I know many women who have bypassed their midwives and booked it through the GP with no issue.

I had a letter from my doctors' surgery, it's not something the midwives deal with first hand, you have up until 38 weeks to have it I think? Just make an appointment with your GP if you want it, probably mention on the phone what you want when booking it in case they direct you straight to the nurses.

I am in Cananda and it is not offered during pregnancy.

The way I see it, where I live, there are whole teams dedicated to maintaining public safety and evaluating the statistics and attempting to prevent outbreaks. If they deemed it necessary or recommended getting certain vaccines, I would most likely abide after looking into the vaccine wwhich they've probably already done with the information available to them).

Unfortunately, outbreaks are happening in populations that are deciding not to vaccinate due to the perception of safety. Whether the feeling is validated or not, the risk of a widespread infection is greater in a non-vaccinated population.

I had whooping cough as a child and it was awful. Coughing and not being able to inhale right away was really scary as a child. Anyway, like a previous poster stated, it's scary because adults who have it just think they have a normal cold. And vaccinated children can pass it on, although it has a much shorter window than if the child was actually infected, due to the bacteria shedding in bodily fluids like mucous.

I'm getting it only because it's been advised by my midwife, I haven't really read to much into the vaccine. I get mine Monday :)

I got mine because 1) I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something awful were to have happened because I didn't get it. 2) It's not a live vaccine. 3) My doctor recommended it (and I had to go elsewhere to get it, so it's not like he recommended it because he got a profit from it) 4)Just because there may not be any outbreaks NOW or within the last few years, doesn't mean there won't be any outbreaks in the future because everyone is deciding against vaccines.

I had a sore arm for 2-3 days and that was it. No other reactions to it.

I will probably wait on the flu shot because I'm already sick now, and at this point I don't think they'll give you the flu shot if you're sick for one, and for two because I don't want to feel even more miserable from the shot. So I will make sure everything is sanitized and hands are washed etc the first few weeks before anyone holds him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->