Anybody undecided about getting the whooping cough vaccine?

You know I'm not having it. I suppose my worries are on the development of the unborn baby mostly. I've known no one with it in the last 18 months and don't plan on letting strangers near him before 8 weeks. It's also not just whooping cough. It's the dtp, which is diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (whooping cough). (There is no singular pertussis vaccine.) And my immunity that I have through being up to date on my own vaccines (even better if you've had any of the actual diseases rather than a vaccine alone) should cover my baby via the placenta now, at birth (the cord will be limp and white before being separated), and thereafter, as I'll be exclusively breastfeeding on baby's cue. And there's the vaccination option at 8 weeks as well. <--- my rationale :)

You know I'm not having it. I suppose my worries are on the development of the unborn baby mostly. I've known no one with it in the last 18 months and don't plan on letting strangers near him before 8 weeks. It's also not just whooping cough. It's the dtp, which is diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (whooping cough). (There is no singular pertussis vaccine.) And my immunity that I have through being up to date on my own vaccines (even better if you've had any of the actual diseases rather than a vaccine alone) should cover my baby via the placenta now, at birth (the cord will be limp and white before being separated), and thereafter, as I'll be exclusively breastfeeding on baby's cue. And there's the vaccination option at 8 weeks as well. <--- my rationale :)

Am I still technically immune from whooping cough, some people have said vaccines wear off over time and as far as I am aware I haven't had a booster (although I remember having tetanus and polio again as a teenager if pertussis is part of that) so does that mean baby is immune from what I am immune from? Or is it temporary? Because otherwise why vaccinate? Sorry if these are stupid questions, ask me about the moral implications of data protection/freedom of information or the reign of Elizabeth I anyday over science lol.

My midwife mentioned the vaccine to me and I decided against it.
After the birth of my daughter i started looking into vaccinations more.

Also if u had the whooping cough vaccine as a baby doesnt mean u have immunity for life that if u have developed immunity from the vaccine at all. The vaccine for babies after the 3rd shot is 80-85% effective and the effectiveness fades after 5 to 10 years. So even if someone was fully vaccinated as a child they still can catch whooping cough at any time in their life.

Yes they are now saying the vaccination provides coverage for up to 12 years (?), and then wears off. They aren't providing adult boosters in the uk as adults immune systems are stronger and can fight it off, whereas a child can have serious effects from whooping cough which is why they are encouraging children to have it.
Ive had it twice in my adult life - I should've developed immunity to it for a while after the first time, but didn't.

Becki x

That's the vaccination for whooping cough that wears off (not sure about others), baby gains some immunity from what we are immune from for a short while but not long enough or enough to stop them needing vaccinations.

Becki x

I had mine today (both whooping cough and flu jab) after both my doctor and midwife recommended them. I'm in Glasgow, and as a PP said, there are adverts everywhere!! I'm not sure if this is a high risk area or not, but I have had flu the last 3 years in a row (extreme bad luck!!) and didn't fancy having it at 9 months pregnant. I wasn't given much information on it, just that a number of babies had died from it which was enough to scare me!

I had mine today (both whooping cough and flu jab) after both my doctor and midwife recommended them. I'm in Glasgow, and as a PP said, there are adverts everywhere!! I'm not sure if this is a high risk area or not, but I have had flu the last 3 years in a row (extreme bad luck!!) and didn't fancy having it at 9 months pregnant. I wasn't given much information on it, just that a number of babies had died from it which was enough to scare me!

I'm in London and was written to by the doctor's surgery so I assume it would be a relatively risky area here. I haven't even thought about the flu jab, tbh I'm not much inclined because I have never had one, the only time I have ever had flu was when I was in America lol *touch wood* and fought it fine, is the flu vaccine to protect mum or baby? My MW said not to worry about the flu vaccine too much as I am healthy with no other risk factors, but is it the same issue with trying to give babies immunity? Flu doesn't worry me so much though because obviously it changes so much anyway.

I will not receive it during pregnancy. In my area there isn't any cases of whooping cough and i have never had it. Of course when lo in old enough he will receive it.

MarineWag,

I think the reason is that we are given the vaccine our body is the one to then create the anti-bodies and once the anti-bodies are created they are passed through the placenta (and milk afterwards). I think the understanding is that weeks 0-8 the baby is too young to create the anti-bodies on their own which is why they cannot give them the vaccine directly. However once they are 8 weeks their immune system is strong enough to convert the vaccine themselves.
This is the understanding i have from what I've read and a few people I have spoken to with a medical background.
I'm hoping I've explained it right!

Afterthought: it's a bit like comparing food, medicine etc that we can have whilst pregnant that a baby cannot have, once something goes into our body, our body does what it needs to to it and then it goes into the placenta it doesn't go there directly. Does that make sense?

Becki x

This is exactly true. :) It is our bodies producing the immune response/antibodies, not the baby's. Baby doesn't need to do any work for it!

Ask people who were around during the polio epidemic what they think of vaccines. I don't want to start a debate, but if everyone decided just to let others get vaccinated instead of them, we'd have a BIG problem on our hands.

Then why try and start one? If you read my opening thread you will see I am pro vax, I get everything offered to me as will my children, this vaccination is different to the polio medication because this isn't about eradicating whooping cough for life, this vaccine is about covering the first 8 weeks of baby's life, when babies are 8 weeks in the UK we are offered, and I will take the scheduled vaccinations which cover whooping cough. I've just decided to give this a little more thought because it worries me that babies are too young to vaccines 0-8 weeks but it is ok when they are in utero (if anyone knows why this is I would really appreciate the info) it worries me the effect of a vaccine while they are still developing, that is not to say I'm not having it, I am just trying to give this a little bit of thought and do my research because whooping cough levels have been extremely low in the UK recently (last autumn it was very high) and I don't want to get a vaccine "just in case" for an 8 week period on something that could be a very minute cause and a vaccine that could potentially have long term effects that are yet unknown, this is nothing to do with "epidemics". I don't care about adverse reactions to me, I'd do anything to protect my baby, I want to make the right choice for HIM, and I'm yet to be convinced that chances of him getting whooping cough are likely enough to outweigh a little researched vaccine, yet, trust me I am usually the most obnoxious person when it comes to arguing with anti vax people as to me I don't usually see it as a choice but that doesn't mean I can't do my research.

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate your comments, I know you're all right and these are the reasons I vaccinate against everything else, I think I just need to research into the actual vaccine a little more to try and relax myself about it so I know I can make an informed choice :)

This was not directed at you, MarineWAG, and I apologize if it seemed that way! I was just speaking in general terms.

Should my OH get this too?

He probably wouldn't get it on the NHS hun plus he should technically be covered if he had it as a baby, but it doesn't matter anyway, if your baby has had it via you she is protected. Although whooping cough as an adult would be nasty, it's children and babies who are vulnerable to the worst effects which is why we are all vaccinated so young, so no, he shouldn't need it. You didn't even need it, it was given to you for your baby not you :flower:

This is not true. I just spoke with the pediatrician about it. She said that while me having had the vaccine helps the baby, the baby is not completely immune. Therefore, she recommended that everyone who will be spending a significant amount of time with the baby before he is 2 months old get vaccinated. So yes, OH should be vaccinated if you're at all concerned that there might be an outbreak. Granted, there were a number of cases in my area last year, so all the grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc. will be vaccinated. The nice thing is that the vaccine lasts 10 years, so once they've gotten it they won't need to get it again for future babies.

I'm in London and was written to by the doctor's surgery so I assume it would be a relatively risky area here. I haven't even thought about the flu jab, tbh I'm not much inclined because I have never had one, the only time I have ever had flu was when I was in America lol *touch wood* and fought it fine, is the flu vaccine to protect mum or baby? My MW said not to worry about the flu vaccine too much as I am healthy with no other risk factors, but is it the same issue with trying to give babies immunity? Flu doesn't worry me so much though because obviously it changes so much anyway.

I told my doctor that I never get the flu vaccine, but he felt that I should because our immune systems are not as active during pregnancy and it "wouldn't be very fun getting the flu when 8 months pregnant. It could get nasty." I ended up getting the vaccine.

And by the way, I'm definitely no doctor/expert. However, I do have a Master's degree in biology, I teach science, and I do a lot of research about scientific matters...so I'm not just talking out of my @$$ here. ;)

I'm not sure if the flu vaccine is to protect mum or baby (or both!!), tbh I don't feel like I was given any information what so ever other than to get them. I got flu in one arm and whooping cough in the other, and I have one sore arm and one arm that's fine! x

Mhk425,
Are u in the USA by any chance? ( can't see I'm on my phone!) As I'm aware the policy there is to encourage the people around baby to have boosters too. I wish they would do the same here on the NHS as no it doesn't provide complete immunity to babies but does help protect them. I asked my nurse whether my hubby could have it also, however she said that no, the nhs are providing the vaccine to protect baby not us as they don't provide it to adults. That's why they are recommending to have it redone at every pregnancy in order to protect baby.
The vaccine covers us which is great but not the purpose of the vaccine from the nhs point of view.

Becki x

Thank you mhk425, I certainly don't think you're talking out your ass lol. It's very different over here under our healthcare system so as Becki said we don't have boosters and our partners wouldn't be offered whooping cough, they wouldn't even be offered flu, the flu jab is only offered to "vulnerable" people and children have only just come under that, which is why I am not so sold on the idea just because it's not something we would usually do.

Oh and just to add the only reason children are starting to be offered flu jabs as a matter of routine is to try and reduce the amount of flu cases in general in the UK because children are so bad for spreading germs, I think it is the elderly they are worried about mostly as they are the ones most likely to have the serious repercussions so it's not even because they don't want children to get flu lol.

(Oh just to add, I only got that from BnB I don't know for certain haha)

Mhk425,
Are u in the USA by any chance? ( can't see I'm on my phone!) As I'm aware the policy there is to encourage the people around baby to have boosters too. I wish they would do the same here on the NHS as no it doesn't provide complete immunity to babies but does help protect them. I asked my nurse whether my hubby could have it also, however she said that no, the nhs are providing the vaccine to protect baby not us as they don't provide it to adults. That's why they are recommending to have it redone at every pregnancy in order to protect baby.
The vaccine covers us which is great but not the purpose of the vaccine from the nhs point of view.

Becki x

Yes, I am in the US. Is there no way to even pay for the vaccine if the NHS doesn't cover it? I know the healthcare system is way different here than it is there. Here, some people's insurance covers the vaccine and some doesn't. However, if yours does not cover it then you can pay to get it. I'm paying for both of my parents to get it...it's $64 each. So it's not super cheap, but I think it's worth them having, especially because this IS an area where it's been found lately.

I'm having both flu and wc jabs next week. Wasn't struck on the flu jab, but since my immune system is weaker due to pregnancy, flu would really knock me off kilter if I was to catch it, and I've had it every year for the last 5, including swine flu LOL.
I'm getting the WC purely because it will help protect bubs in his first 2 months. Even if there haven't been loads of cases near me, you never know, and since adults get it & don't realise, I'd much rather be safer than sorry!

On a side note, what would happen if you were to get WC during pregnancy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->