Anyone BLW their premmie?

xUniquex

Tandem feeding Mum
Reaction score
DS2 was 7 weeks early and is 5 months actual later this month.

I noticed that guideline suggest weaning at 6 months actual with preemies,however i dont think he will be showing enough interest in food to be BLW at 6 months.

So who here has done BLW with their premmie?And share your excperience please... thank you !

There was a similar thread here. I remember reading preemies shouldn't do BLW (for some reason , not sure why) bliss guidelines use TW at actual age, so I'm not sure.
The point in the actual age thing is to do with iron stores and the fact they've had milk in their tummies longer. They might not be developmentally ready via motor skills wise, for BLW at actual age?

Total educated guesses thou hunny xxx

Edit: here is a link I read just now https://www.babymeals.net/weaning/premature-babies/

I don't have any advice I'm afraid but I also wanted to do BLW with Thomas who was 6 weeks early. The book I am reading suggests that with premature babies, a period of TW may be needed before starting BLW. x

I don't have any advice I'm afraid but I also wanted to do BLW with Thomas who was 6 weeks early. The book I am reading suggests that with premature babies, a period of TW may be needed before starting BLW. x

thanx for that link SB

and what book are you reading cat? i need to dig out my BLW book:haha:

It's one I borrowed from a friend and it's called Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294079141&sr=8-1

It has a small section about premature babies. x

My LO is 6 months actual, 3.5 months corrected and I'm in a dilemma about which route to take when the time comes too!! Argh!

i think i am going to bite the bullet and BLW him!!
I'm going to find out my BLW book and read the section on prems but i really don't think i want to TW!

good thread, olly was 6 weeks early and i want to BLW too. I think you will know your baby and whether they can take it or not- unless you try you wont know. As the book says ( i have the same one by gill ripley but have only just started reading it) the first month or so they play with their food, sometimes sucking what you give them and dont start chewing till later because they dont develop that skill till about 8 months of age.

good luck!
I wont be far behind you! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"