Anyone co-slept with a newborn AND toddler?

KarenLV

Reaction score
I'm expecting nr.2 in March and our boy is still co-sleeping with us in our room. He only goes to bed when we go to bed,if not he considers it as a nap and wakes up after a while.How can I cope with a newborn and toddler in the same room? I will be breastfeeding. Should I take the newborn out of the room for feeds or do you think my toddler will just adapt to the new 'noises' that are in the room? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Ive never done it... But no matter what your son is going to wake up every time the baby cries to be fed etc... He will already be awake by the time the baby fusses to be fed.

And what happens if the new baby is colicky and is up in the night etc. If your son wont go to bed unless your there then he would be awake all that time too... right? I think you need to think about what you think is fair to your toddler, sleep is very important for them, and your toddler will be going through enough changes with a new baby, let alone not getting x number of unbroken sleep and being cranky from that.

I would also consider moving the toddler into his "big boy" room and bed. If you make the transition slowly -- and not so it about the newborn "kicking him out" he'll probably resent it less. Make it part of becoming a big brother -- something he can feel grown up and proud about.

But, I think other ladies on here have done it, so maybe they will have advice about keeping both in the room with you. :)

I think your right. Problem is I cant move him to his room now as I will be going to my home country to give birth and then come back. At my parents place he will have to sleep with me in the same room,so all the training would of been a waste. My DH says that when I return from giving birth then he will just have to sleep with my son in his own room. Hope it works....

Hope it works for you hun, doesnt sound ideal, hope he doesnt mind the transition.

I would use a co-sleeper for the newborn, and have your son on the other side. If you want to continue co-sleeping.

my daughter went into her own room this summer,at the age of 3 1/2,having co slept since birth and having a single bed next to ours since about 2 years.She settled pretty well but still sometimes ends up in our bed halfway through the night,something im trying to avoid once this baby is born.
I would try and get your son into his own room,so he can get his sleep,but before the baby arrives so he doesnt feel pushed out.You still have plenty of time to make the transition,it doesnt need to be rushed.When you go away,tell him there are different rules because not everywhere you go will have enough room for him to have his own bed,but explain that when you are at home he goes in his own bed now because he is a big boy.

Our son is 2 1/2 years old and is co-sleeping with us. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and we have no plans with switching Hunter to his own room yet, not until he feels ready. We will be putting new baby in a co-sleeper next to me, and Hunter will be inbetween us. He's good about sleeping, 12 hours, and doesnt' wake up in the night. If new baby has sleep problems then I will take him to another room when he wakes up in the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->