Anyone considering a Water Birth at hospital?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Ill start by saying it is very very early days for me, I am only 5 weeks pregnant but am already researching my options.

I have my 'booking' appointment with my midwife in 3 weeks and I have been thinking about a water birth. Im generally not very good with pain especially 'down there' :nope:
(I have previously had to have various procedures including Colposcopy etc and found it very uncomfortable so am not expecting to cope brilliantly with labour!)

I have read that being in a birthing pool can help to relax the muscles and possible speed up the process? - Has anyone else heard this?
Im also curious as to whether I can still have gas and air if in a birthing pool? Im pretty sure I wont want an epidural but Im ruling nothing out at this stage! :wacko:

I would love to hear what everyone thinks/knows about water births xx

Hi ya, this is a new section of the forum for me but getting a bit bored of 2nd Trimester so been looking around.

My initial plan is to have a water birth at a midwife led center, it's close to my house and it is only a 7 minute trip to the hospital in an ambulance if anything goes wrong or if I need stronger pain killers.

You can have gas and air in the pool and I think you can also have pethidine. The water itself is a good pain relieve and it also softens your skin down there to help prevent any tears. I've been told that at midwife led centers you also get more attention than in a hospital and that in itself is a bonus as they can help with massage and techniques to get comfortable.

But like you I have time to change my mind, we don't have to decide until we go into lablour here, once that happens you just phone up and tell them where you want to go.

i planned a hospital waterbirth for ds1 ( well it was a MLU at the hospital ) i spent a few hours in the pool in labour but complications arose which ment i ended up getting out, but the time i spent in the pool was defo the best part of my labour

I really want a water birth after seeing a few on One Born Every Minute earlier this year....
It just looked like a hell of a lot more relaxed environment!

:) xx

I really want a water birth after seeing a few on One Born Every Minute earlier this year....
It just looked like a hell of a lot more relaxed environment!

:) xx

I totally agree.
I really wanted to do a natural birth however the city I live in dosen't do that... the closest hospitals that do are Seattle or Portland, OR... :(

I'm wanting to have a water birth in a hospital or birthing center. Just have to find out what my insurence covers (Tricare). I just don't want to end up laying flat on my back in pain...

I had a water labor with all 3 kids eases pain tremedously! Until recently had to get out of water b4 pushing. I am planning a waterbirth with my twins. Hospital tubs are not big enough so I am considering bringing my own if I go to hospital. I want a HB

We don't have the option of having water births at the hospital, so I would like to have a water birth at home. I'm currently reading "Birthing From Within" and I'm finding it very useful as far as information goes, along with watching the movie, "The Business of Being Born" (on Netflix)

Anywho, good luck with whatever you choose!

We are WTT until fall of 2013, since we just had #2 3-months ago. DD was born naturally, in a very scary/fast/unplanned nature. I was in so much pain, I wasn't fully aware of what was going on. Right after her birth I said I'd never do that again, since I loved the epidural with my first so much. However now that some time has past, I feel slightly cheated out of the full natural birth process, since I didn't choose it, I couldn't control it, I wasn't fully aware, and I was flat on my back in immense pain on a hospital bed. For #3, I'd like to do a water birth at the local hospital, so I can experience the full range of natural childbirth on my terms, get the oxygen I need since I have terrible asthma, and if needed, have the epidural ready. As long as I can convince OH that it's the best choice, that's what we'll be doing... he's not 100% sold yet, but respects my decisions.

Good luck to all of you who are closer to this decision and experience than I am.

if it's an option for you at your hospital, i say you're lucky! we don't have that option here, so i'm going for a water birth at home.

I reaaaally want one, but dont want to get my heart set on it as at my hospital they have 9 delivery suites but only one pool so I dont want to get my hopes up and get there on the day to find its in use....but yeah, I'd love one, I've heard only good things :)

I had one in a MLU at the hospital. I loved it so much I could rave all day about it!

I had gas and air but didn't want narcotics so not sure about pethidine. I have moderately severe asthma so hubby wanted me in hospital but I got the positive environment I wanted.

Ask at your hospital how many pools there are and how many MWs are trained. At mine there are 2 pools and all MWs arw trained but this is quite rare. A MW I met said in her 8 years there she'd never known someone not get the pool who wanted it.

You can't use the pool if induced though.

HTH
xXx

I'm wanting to have a water birth in a hospital or birthing center. Just have to find out what my insurence covers (Tricare). I just don't want to end up laying flat on my back in pain...

I have tricare too!! and they do cover them !! Im planning on a water birth ina birthing center!

We're very lucky where I live: there are two midwife-led birthing centres, one on the hospital site. However at each there's only one pool so you have to hope it's free when you need it! I haven't got my heart set on having a water birth as a result, but I absolutely know this would be my preferred choice. I have read great things and three of the girls in my antenatal class have had good experiences using the water as pain relief. At these centres you can have gas and air in the pool. If you're not labouring in the pool you can also have pethidine but should you want an epidural you are transferred to hospital. I am planning on just using gas and air and hopefully the water. X

I really wanted a water birth but consultant says that its just not an option due to blood disorder that I have. She has said that she's happy for me to labour in the birthing pool and then get out in the final stage, which I suppose will have to do.

I'm from the Uk but had a water birth at hospital with gas and air whilst in the pool... it took me 48 hours to get to 5 cm then 3 hours to get to 10cm whilst in the pool so i think it helped me relax and definitly helped speed things up x

i was really considering a water birth, but then i realized i didn't really want all of the stuff that comes out of me / possible bowel movements floating up beside me :haha:
they do seem much more relaxing then other labors though :flow:

I had one and it was amazing. The water really does ease the pain, I was considering gas and air until I got in the pool at about 8cms dilated and then I went on to give birth with no pain relief at all. FYI if you have a poo the midwife just scoops it out with a little net, she doesnt even tell you what shes doing :haha: xx

I had a birthing pool (at home) and even though I didn't give birth in it (my daughter was born on the lounge floor, just next to the birthing pool) it really seemed to help with the pain. I also had gas & air, but the warm(ish) water was really relaxing.

I planned a waterbirth with all of mine but never got one as it was either occupied, out of order, my bp was too low, I was to early or to late or my waters had gone.
Thats just the excuses from my last birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->