anyone diagnosed with lupus?

callie10

Reaction score
hi, I'm new to baby and bump!

after suffering an ectopic and 2 miscarriages in the last 14 months my partner and I have been having a series of tests at our local hospital.
yesterday I was told the lupus screen blood test had come back positive and they want to re test to confirm. could this be the reason of my recurrent miscarriages?
now i no i might be jumping the gun, it may come back negative, i just wondered if anyone had any experience of lupus and what treatment they were given.

What is lupus?

Lupus is an autoimmune disease, a type of self-allergy, whereby the patient's immune system creates antibodies which instead of protecting the body from bacteria & viruses attack the person's own body tissues. This causes symptoms of extreme fatigue, joint pain, muscle aches, anaemia, general malaise, & can result in the destruction of vital organs. It is a disease with many manifestations, & each person's profile or list of symptoms is different. Lupus can mimic other diseases, such as multiple sclerosis & rheumatoid arthritis, making it difficult to diagnose.

Lupus is neither infectious or contagious.

Lupus can be triggered-
·at puberty ·during the menopause
·after childbirth ·after viral infection
·through sunlight ·as a result of trauma
·after a prolonged course of medication

The symptoms:
These may include -
-extreme fatigue -joint/muscle pain
-eye problems -depression
-mouth ulcers -facial or other rashes
-miscarriage -hair loss
-anaemia -fever
-possible involvement of the kidneys, heart, lungs & brain

There is no cure...

People diagnosed with lupus normally remain under medical care with continuing medication. Many symptoms have less impact as a result, but side effects can often occur. Lupus can adversely influence the lives of those who suffer the illness, their families & friends.

SLE - Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

...hard to say - harder to live with...

Hi Callie

I was told I have the same problem following tests after three m/c at the end of last year. I immediately did the whole Googling thing to find out what Lupus was and scared myself stupid! However, it turns out that I have the lupus anticoagulant antibodies, rather than full blown Lupus, which is the most likely cause of my m/cs. In my case, when I am pregnant I develop DVTs in the placenta, which obviously stop the development of the baby. The treatment I have been prescribed is to take dispersible aspirin and heparin daily, but only once I know I am pregnant and not before.

My consultant was very upbeat about the success rate of the treatment, which is encouraging. I have been pregnant since and started on the meds, but unfortunately lost the baby at nine weeks - this could have been for any number of reasons though and not necessarily due to the Lupus.

For me, it was a positive thing being diagnosed because at least then you know what the reason is and have the chance to do something about it - if you know what I mean!

Good luck :flower:

clara
thank you so much for your reply, i too have worried myself by reading too much info on the web.

You really have put my mind as ease, thank you so much xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->