• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone else almost uncontrollably scared shitless?

MommyJogger

Reaction score
Not about the home or the natural part, just about the labor in general part? I had a crap experience with #1 and I find that I've started breaking into a sweat and getting lightheaded when I think about making arrangements or attending classes for birth. I just want to hide my head in the sand and pretend that nothing's happening and then maybe my baby will just magically appear outside of my body and we'll all skip into the sunset. That's how it works, right? lol.
Anyone else really just unreasonably terrified?

Try some sort of hypnotherapy practice. I did natal hypnotherapy, which I highly recommend, but it's a British programme. I've heard good things about Hypnobirthing (Marie Mongan's course), but have no experience with it myself. You might also look into just doing private sessions with a hypnotherapist. Also, read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It's really inspiring and helped a lot with any fears I had.

I second Ina mays book. Guide to Childbirth. I was not able to take classes (they were going to start them the week I gave birth!) and this was the one resource that really helped me through labor. Reading all the stories gave me the courage that I too could do it and the little hints like flapping your lips as you breathe out (sounds silly but helps) and trying to relax your shoulders and jaw. Concentrating on that was helpful.
I couldn't focus on anything like they say. I tried staring at a candle but went back to keeping my eyes closed. I looked like I was sleeping the whole time hahaha.
The labor pains for me were like period cramps. But they had a weird after effect that made me want to fall asleep after each one (not that I could!!) they were never than period cramps though because they weren't constant. Peak and go down peak and go down. Easier to handle I think.
(Then again I have had worse periods in the past than labor pains!)

I think a lot of us go through that. Meditations worked for me. And visualizations from the back section of the book of Face to Face with Childbirth by Julia Sundin were very good - I did them when I had fear in the middle of the night (it was a bit hard to do the visualizations during the day with my other children). At the end of the day I worked on surrendering to whatever my birth would be. I did find that as soon as labour started all fear left me and I had courage and calmness and just focused on the task at hand. The anticipation was worse than the reality.

Erm in one word.......YEP. :wacko:
I am really worried about how long I will cope and how long it will go on for.
what if I cant deal with being in the bath like Im planning?
I dont want to look like a whimp in front of hubby and DD1!:cry:

I can really recommend Natal Hypnotherapy too. I felt so scared of labour and birth that I sat in my Drs surgery and bawled my eyes out and that was before even TTC. I found the Natal Hypnotherapy programme (4 cds, book and 2 x 1 day courses), and went from an utter wreck to an empowered woman who planned and achieved a home birth. The birth of my daughter was completely pain free, drug free, and most importantly, fear free! I even worked all day in labour I was so calm and chilled about things, and then later on I slept through the later stages. It was certainly a far cry from the screaming and cussing that seems to be the norm.
If you have any questions, feel free to shout me :)

Just IMO but what I found most useful were the stories here. There was something much more comforting about knowing ''real'' girls did it the 2nd time. They inspired me. I had a great 2nd birth but I was scared shirtless until he came out. Still, there is more confidence the subsequent births.

I am really scared too. I have 4 weeks untill my DD and whenever I think about it it fills me with dread. I know once it starts ill be fine but the waiting is killing me! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->