Anyone else dealing with Anemia?

TiffanyJolie

Pregnant with baby #1
Reaction score
I have been told at various times throughout my life that I was borderline anemic but was never told to start taking supplements or monitor it at all. When I had bloodwork done last (I think it was around 12 or 16 weeks) My Dr said I was anemic and needed to add an iron supplement and I would be fine. So my prenatals have iron in them and I have been taking the supplements as well, went for my 28 week checkup to have the GD test and more bloodwork. I don't have GD which is great news but my iron levels are LOWER :dohh: than the last time she did my bloodwork. Makes no sense to me seeing as how I doubled my iron intake since then. She is having more labwork done on my blood to figure out what she wants me to do, if it doesn't improve I would most likely have to have a blood transfusion during/after labor. Has anyone else had problems with this?

I've been anemic all my life.Thats why I have pica as well. Pregnancy usually brings out anemia in people who have never had it before so don't feel bad. I'm on supplements as well. (I have extreme anemia. Your suppose to be above a 10, I'm at a 4) All you can do is take them as prescribed. Don't worry too much about your anemia unless it falls to a point where you are so weak you can't get out of bed. Your baby takes all the iron she needs from you. Thats most likely where your anemia is coming from. Its normal. Try eating some foods that are high in iron as well. That will give you that extra boost.

As far as a blood transfusion goes, its not likely unless your hemorrhaging. Which most will happen with a C-section IF anything vs a vaginal birth. But the hospital should monitor your blood loss to avoid a transfusion.

Only reason I know this is because I made sure I asked 2093487298 times to different doctors. haha. I wanted to be safe...geez!

Talk to your midwife/doctor about it and let them know your worried. They can explain it better than me. I just gave you my 2cents and what I heard. Believe me, I'm suuuuuper worried about having this baby and the blood loss. So lets just say I'm gonna annoy the doctors to double and triple check that everything is okay. Hehe.

Your blood volume goes up by another 50% during pregnancy so it makes sense that your iron levels may have decreased. Your iron levels have probably stayed the same but due to the extra blood volume your iron has been diluted (called hemodilution). Do you know what your hemoglobin levels were (HgB levels)? Everyones drops a little during pregnancy but they are a better indicator of anemia. Maybe that is what she was talking about but said iron levels? Like cupcake said, normal iron levels are above 10, normal hgb during pregnancy should be above 11.0. In my area most docs will infuse blood below 8, but that might be different during pregnancy.

Everyone has blood loss during delivery, either way. You will definately have bleeding afterwards from changes in uterine tissue. They should check your blood levels before and after delivery to assess then whether you need blood. If you have a history of anemia before pregnancy it is even harder for your body to keep up with the extra blood volume during pregnancy! If it goes to low after delivery your body can react by having clotting problems so that is why they want to be careful following delivery. My doc told me I was right at his "border" for low blood levels, so not what he planned on doing if I was lower but hopefully they stay ok for delivery!

I was told i was amemic by my midwife.. and dr prescribed iron tablets.. they made me really sick...and werent acctually raising my iron levels.!

My friend recommended Spa tone. You can get it from tescos boots etc, they are like liquid natural iron sachets and i mix two of them with fresh orange every morning and they are great! And did raise my iron levels!When your pregnant more iron it better than less.. so i have been taking them since about 28 weeks!

xxx

I was told I'm anaemic by the midwife last Friday after suddenly becoming dizzy/faint and it lasted all day while I was at work. I was given Ferrous Fumarate 210mg tablets to take three times a day. I've been taken the tablets since Tuesday and I feel no difference whatsoever. I'm constantly dizzy and feeling like I'm going to faint but am not sure whether I need to contact the midwife about it again. I just figured it takes a few days for the tablets to start working.... :shrug:

I too have just been told (by letter) that I am anemic - it is good though as it explains why I am so tired. My last blood work was fine but that was months ago. I have a doctors appointment on Monday to get a prescription. It is strange because I feel exhausted but then have trouble sleeping :(

I spoke to a midwife today because I haven't been feeling any better despite having been on three iron tablets a day for the last four days. I was told it can take up to three weeks for the tablets to take effect! I have been so dizzy/faint feeling for the past week that I haven't even been able to go to work... I hope I start feeling better soon.:wacko:

I also found out I was anemic during my bloodwork & GD testing.... doc told me to take 324mg of iron twice daily... I felt fine before I found out, & have not had another blood test to see if iron has raised my hemoglobin levels... Stay positive!!!!

I also found out I was anemic during my bloodwork & GD testing.... doc told me to take 324mg of iron twice daily... I felt fine before I found out, & have not had another blood test to see if iron has raised my hemoglobin levels... Stay positive!!!!

I just got off the phone with the nurse at my doctors office and she told me to take the iron supplements. On the bright side I passed my GD testing. I do feel fatigued I wonder if it is due to low iron.

I just got off the phone with the nurse at my doctors office and she told me to take the iron supplements. On the bright side I passed my GD testing. I do feel fatigued I wonder if it is due to low iron.

Yeah... fatigue is a symptom of low iron... Hopefully once the supplement kicks in you will get more energy (if that's possible during pregnancy...lol~!)
Could be worse we could have failed our GD test! :hugs:

Glad to know I am not alone with this....after reading your responses I am curious to see what my Dr has to say when she gets the rest of the results back. I looked up some of the symptoms of anemia and I have several of them, didn't contribute it to that though because alot are similar with normal pregnancy symptoms. I am certainly hoping I can get my iron up though and maybe it will give me more energy. The women in my family all talk about getting super high energy levels late in pregnancy and I am the opposite. I know it does vary from woman to woman obviously but am hopeful I will get it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->