Anyone else deficient in B12?

Maviyildiz

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone else is deficient in B12, particularly if you found out during pregnancy? I got tested because of some non-pregnancy related health issues, and mine level is quite low (though I have no symptoms.)

My doctor seems pretty unconcerned and says it is fairly common in pregnant women early in the first trimester, who aren't eating well.

I am nervous because I can't find any info to corraborate what she said, and from what I have read, it takes a long time (years) for B12 levels to go down from a poor diet.

So, now I am just hoping that someone else here has similar to experience to share. It always makes me feel better, even if your cause might not be the same as mine!

Hi! Just wondering if anyone else is deficient in B12, particularly if you found out during pregnancy? I got tested because of some non-pregnancy related health issues, and mine level is quite low (though I have no symptoms.)

My doctor seems pretty unconcerned and says it is fairly common in pregnant women early in the first trimester, who aren't eating well.

I am nervous because I can't find any info to corraborate what she said, and from what I have read, it takes a long time (years) for B12 levels to go down from a poor diet.

So, now I am just hoping that someone else here has similar to experience to share. It always makes me feel better, even if your cause might not be the same as mine!

Are you taking a supplement? I take Forever Living B-12 vitamin (Alot better than the cheapo brands in Boots./Holland & barret etc) If you are not I would definately recommend taking it, better late than never :) If you want more details on the product PM me (I love the products so much I became an independant distributor so can help you get what you need!)

To your health & wellbeing :)

Oh yea, I am on a supplement now. A prescription megadose as my doctor suspects an absorption issue. (I eat minimal meat but am not a vegetarian. Combined with dairy and eggs I should be getting enough, so she thinks it is probably not a dietary issue...)

Oh yea, I am on a supplement now. A prescription megadose as my doctor suspects an absorption issue. (I eat minimal meat but am not a vegetarian. Combined with dairy and eggs I should be getting enough, so she thinks it is probably not a dietary issue...)

Make sure you are taking plenty Vitamin C too - sounds daft but if you are not absobing enough vitamin C this can have an effect on your iron count (your villi might be blocked in your gut and this can cause absorption problems). Have you heard of drinking Aloe Vera Gel drinks? Once you are in to your second trimester this might be useful as it helps vitamin and mineral absorption as well as balances the immune system so you will be less prone to picking up bugs etc. I have been on it the whole time and been pretty well all things considering, but if you are a newby then we recommend to wait until 2nd trimester as it increases blood flow, and even though there is no harm to be caused it is better to wait till you are past the 'risk' period! :) Again, let me know if you want more details x

I was told roughly this time last year that I had a B12 deficiency and have had courses of injections to correct this (my levels decreased to 90).

Since we were TTC I was also taking a B12 supplement with a glass of orange juice each morning (the orange juice helps your stomach to absorb the B12 and also prevents sickness that you can get with B12 supplements). You cannot 'overdose' in B12 so taking extra in a supplement won't do any harm. Did they give you any advice on diet? Things like red meat have lots of B12 (I don't eat much meat).

Did they test your Folate too?

I also have an iron problem aswell which I take a supplement for, with these and the pregnancy vitamins etc I feel like I'm always popping pills lol.

If you are worried then maybe you should share these concerns with your doc and they can put your mind at rest :hugs:

After discovering on my latest blood test that I am a probably alpha thalassemia (sp - don't have the results here! :) ) carrier and / or have an iron deficiency, I had a chat with my Mum and she has a B12 deficiency which in her pregnancies became B12 anemia. They didn't realise she has this problem until her final pregnancy when she had a B12 shot and felt a million times better. She doesn't eat very much meat, but to be honest I think it's more about your body's ability to absorb iron so she could be eating a cow every day and still have the issue! She takes a vegetarian multi vitamin every day and is perfectly fine. Now I know this I am going to mention it to my midwife to see if they can check it for me when I have my next blood tests.

As far as I can tell if you are B12 deficient and you become anemic then giving you additional iron tablets without extra B12 isn't going to help. You'll need to advise your GP / OB / MW so they can give you appropriate treatment. That's the only issue I'm aware of. Also it's something that you may have always had. Your levels could always have been low or borderline and because baby steals our nutrients from us, then this causes your levels to slip further. Unless you become anemic or have a life threatening illness than we can bob along with low levels without any noticeable symptoms.

I guess the reason I am worried is that I HAVE discussed it with my doctor and she is giving me mixed signals. When she called to tell me my results, she said I would likely have to continue the supplements forever and implied it was probably absorption and not my diet nor the pregnancy. I understand if this is the case more tests are usually done to determine the cause.
Today I had a meeting with her to take more blood and follow up on my levels, and now she has changed her tune and says that it is pretty common for B12 levels to get low in women who are pregnant because of all the extra cells they are making, during a time when they probably aren't eating right. So, I don't know what to think, and I have been trying to do my own research, but most research focuses on the elderly and B12 isn't a routine pregnancy test, so there just isn't much information out there. So, I guess I am just looking for some anecdotal evidence of pregnancy related B12 deficiencies!

I was told roughly this time last year that I had a B12 deficiency and have had courses of injections to correct this (my levels decreased to 90).

Since we were TTC I was also taking a B12 supplement with a glass of orange juice each morning (the orange juice helps your stomach to absorb the B12 and also prevents sickness that you can get with B12 supplements). You cannot 'overdose' in B12 so taking extra in a supplement won't do any harm. Did they give you any advice on diet? Things like red meat have lots of B12 (I don't eat much meat).

I also have an iron problem aswell which I take a supplement for, with these and the pregnancy vitamins etc I feel like I'm always popping pills lol.

If you are worried then maybe you should share these concerns with your doc and they can put your mind at rest :hugs:

Hi MommytoOscar, can I ask-- did they check into WHY you were b12 deficient? Or did they just assume it was dietary for you since you have limited meat consumption?

I also feel like I am also popping pills! I choke on them about half the time so I have it!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. Trying to research it myself on google only tells me very scary stuff!

Hi MommytoOscar, can I ask-- did they check into WHY you were b12 deficient? Or did they just assume it was dietary for you since you have limited meat consumption?

I also feel like I am also popping pills! I choke on them about half the time so I have it!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. Trying to research it myself on google only tells me very scary stuff!

I never found out why and at the time I never thought to ask! I have been told that for someone to be B12 deficient throught diet alone is usually someone who has been a strict vegan for a number of years (not me).

I was told that it is very rare in someone of my age group (I'm 29) and that it is very common in the elderly which is why the Internet reports mostly relate to the elderly. I don't know about b12 deficiency in relation to pregnancy tho (I wasn't pregnant when I found out).

I would make sure that you are taking appropriate levels of folic acid as there is sometimes a link between low b12, folate and folic acid. A low b12 doesn't necessarily mean low folic acid, but I take a supplement for my own piece of mind.

Hope that helps :)

I am down to have my folate levels checked at my 28-30 wk appointment. I think that unless your initial blood test shows that you are anemic or they detect an additional problem then they don't tend to follow up on it.

I googled the thing they thought I was a carrier of and I found a lot more info on the different types of anemia. I will look tomorrow and see if I can post a link xx

I am 25 yrs old and have a severe B12 deficiency.. so it's not true about your diet or being elderly. They can play a role but its more on your body. I originally found out when i was 20. The doctors never told me I would have to continue to my shots and i stopped while working long hours. About 6 months ago, i forgot where i was (at work) and was having problems with chest pain. Went to a few different doctors and informed them that i was deficient and to retest me. My levels were so low, i got called to come right back in to start shots. A B12 deficiency can cause spina bifida, so please, continue with shots or a sublingual. Doctors say a vitamin will be ok... that is NOT true if you have a deficiency due to your body not being able to absorb it. You will have to continue B12 shots and/or take a sublingual. I do both and feel better than I used to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have asked tons of questions about this issue, especially now that we are expecting a little one.

I'm B12 and folate defficiant, i have high dose folic acid (meant to be all the time, not just pregnancy) and B12 injections every 12 weeks, this will be forever as i have issues with absorbing the B12 so can't take supplements as it wouldn't work.

Also just found out i'm iron defficiant too. My bloods at my booking appoinment came back that i may be an alpha Thallasemia carrier too, i'm deffinately not its just the defficiancies make my blood look different, they didn't bother to write it on my notes that i'm B12 aneamic which is why they thought it was something else lol

Just waiting for the results of my iron studies now so i can get some iron tablets and start to feel a bit better x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->