anyone else had a coil fitted before??

Heather.78

Reaction score
so midwifes and everyone keep having the contraception talk with me not that hubby is going anywhere near my stitched up va jay jay for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg time but we always used condoms before and never had any problems, but I was thinking of having a coil implanted anyone else had one or thinking about having one fitted if so how effective are they as it will be a long time before I think of becoming prego again.

I have one :) They are very effective. It is very, very rare for this form of contraception to fail - when this does happen, it is usually because the coil has come out of place but you can check that the device is still in place by feeling the strings that hang down out of your cervix into your vagina - but don't worry your OH won't be able to feel these when you have sex... The most common reason people opt for this form of contraception is that you don't need to take a pill every day or use condoms, it lasts for 5 years, there are no hormones used and your fertility returns to normal as soon as you have the device removed.

If fitted by the right person you will hardly feel them being put in, either! (especially as you have had a child already - this means that the process is less likely to be uncomfortable). It takes all of about 5 minutes to be fitted, but there is usually a waiting list so if you want one I would put your name down now...

The main side effects of having a coil are increased period symptoms (longer, heavier bleeding, PMT and tummy cramps) but these do not affect everyone who has the coil. I have had no negative side effects except for a heavier period.... There is a very (VERY) small risk of perforation - where the device goes through the wall of the uterus, but this usually occurs at insertion when the practitioner is very inexperienced and poor at their job! The other risk is expulsion - where the device comes out basically - but like I say these risk are very rare and hardly ever occur - you should be aware of them, though.

If you do decide that the coil is for you, I would strongly recommend going to an IUD clinic to get it fitted - because the doctors who fit them there are very experienced and very good at what they do - they fit them every day and know what they are doing. I've heard a lot of horror stories from friends and relatives who have had them done by their GP and it's hurt a lot and ended up getting infected!

I have had an entirely positive experience of having a coil - I hope you have the same! :D

I've had one in the past....the Mirena coil

https://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

I'll be having it fitted again after "Smudge" is born:happydance:.

I did have some spotting and breakthrough bleeding for about 6months but I always wear a pantyliner anyway so wasn't a big deal for me. Apart from that I didn't notice any side effects:happydance:

I definitely won't be having the depo-injection or implants like I've used before as they both made me very depressed (I suffer anyway but wooooooooh...they sent me down...big time:cry::cry::cry:)

I had the Mirena coil. I had it inserted at the 6 week exam after my 4 year old was born. I didn't have a period for a year and any that I had after that were just spotting. When my hubby and I decided to try for another baby I had it taken out and got pregnant the first month of trying.
I really loved it and will be getting another after Zoe is born.

That's good to hear as I was going to have one implanted as soon as I can. OH and I were thinking of trying for another in a year and a half do you think that it is still worth it to have one inserted if it is for only that long?

I had the Mirena coil, it came out of place and I fell pregnant, it was still inside my womb and as a result I miscarried.
It's not as uncommon as you might think, I have 1 friend who gave birth to a coil baby (coil stayed in womb whole pregnancy), and another who miscarried with coil in situ.

I am not trying to put you off, and incidentally, I would have one again and am considering it at the mo (I hate the pill), but I will check it more regularly next time and advise anyone else who has one to actually ask whoever fits it to SHOW YOU how to check it, so you know what you are feeling around for and where it is supposed to be, embarassing I know, but might save a lot of heart ache later...

thanks guys that was really helpful I really dont want to go on the pill and after trying for Maiya which was quite fun I dont really want to use condoms either (tmi but you know what I mean):hugs:

Hi hun,

I had the mirena coil fitted about 3 years ago and it was taken out a week later.... I was in agony but I am always bloody different!!! I know loads of peeps that have them and get on with them fine ! :) xx

I had the Mirena coil and didn't get on with it at all. I could always feel it, especially when I needed the toilet. If that's the one you are getting, the Dr told me they only come in one size, so if you are small (especially if you have small feet) it may cause problems or not be able to be fitted. Apparently I was right on the cusp size wise, which is probably why it caused me problems.

there seems to be quite alot of risks with the coil1 I think I'll stick with the implant now lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->