Anyone else have a baby that doesn't like any comfort items?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I'm not complaining (well...maybe a little haha) but Emma seems so weird compared to my other kids!

She doesn't like pacifiers, swaddling, the motorised swing we bought, being held in most positions, being rocked or nursed to sleep, and only enjoys babywearing half of the time. She will get sleepy being nursed but no longer falls asleep to it so I've run out of ways to sooth her for naps.

She hates car rides and walks in the pram too.

When she's fed and in the right mood, she will fall asleep being walked around and held upright but I don't always have time or free arms for this. She seems to fight sleep during the day but is fine at night (wakes at midnight and 3-4am then usually up at 6:30am).

I'm running out of settling techniques!

My other kids LOVED being swaddled, Sophie was swaddled till almost 8 months(!) and Thomas nursed to sleep till toddlerhood. Sophie was keen on pacifiers. Both would have adored the swing.

Oh and I forgot, the only white noise she likes is my hair dryer which broke the other day!

Isla was ambivalent towards her pacifiers, she eventually took to them around 10 weeks old but wasn't overly attached and had no problem giving them up at 6 months old. She always hated being swaddled, never nursed to sleep and didn't even like being held to sleep. She would only fall asleep when I would put her down, if I tried to hold her she would fuss and give me the stink eye whenever I moved even the tiniest bit because I would disturb her. As soon as I put her down she would fall asleep on her own. She also never liked the swing but was tolerant of the vibrating chair for short periods of time although would never fall asleep in it. She has always liked the car and the stroller, although will only fall asleep in them if very, very tired. She hasn't slept in the stroller for many months now. She only likes being worn in the ergo if we are out and about doing something, and she only likes being worn on my back so she can look around. She is scared of the vacuum so she likes being worn while I am vacuuming, but otherwise does not tolerate being worn in the house unless she is an extremely irritable mood, which is rare. I've always thought of all of this as a good thing, I think she is independent and I like it! Luckily for me she has always fallen asleep easily on her own so I never really needed a technique to get her to sleep. The only time she needs help to sleep is during night wakings and nursing always does the trick for those. The only time this is bad is when she is teething or upset in some way because I don't really have any way to soothe her because I have never had to soothe her before. I just sort of hold her and wait for the tantrum to pass, lol.

I'm not complaining (well...maybe a little haha) but Emma seems so weird compared to my other kids!

She doesn't like pacifiers, swaddling, the motorised swing we bought, being held in most positions, being rocked or nursed to sleep, and only enjoys babywearing half of the time. She will get sleepy being nursed but no longer falls asleep to it so I've run out of ways to sooth her for naps.

She hates car rides and walks in the pram too.

When she's fed and in the right mood, she will fall asleep being walked around and held upright but I don't always have time or free arms for this. She seems to fight sleep during the day but is fine at night (wakes at midnight and 3-4am then usually up at 6:30am).

I'm running out of settling techniques!

My other kids LOVED being swaddled, Sophie was swaddled till almost 8 months(!) and Thomas nursed to sleep till toddlerhood. Sophie was keen on pacifiers. Both would have adored the swing.

Oh and I forgot, the only white noise she likes is my hair dryer which broke the other day!

You could be describing Isla!! She hated her swing, being swaddled, being held, been put down, her cot, her pushchair, the car etc etc!!
She is now 15 weeks and she still hates everything, I still have no clue how to settle her! One day something will work, the next day she hates it!! She is such a crier as well!! I have literally given up!

Funny babies we have! Sophie was a lot more independent than Emma or even Thomas, right from a wee newborn I would pop a pacifier in, swaddle her and she went to sleep by herself.

Emma likes to be half awake with a boob in her face all day long. I probably wouldn't mind that but I've got the other kids to get to school and outings etc so it's not possible.

I hate taking my eldest to school because Emma is awake from about 6:30am (her usual up time) till we get back at 9:30am and she's an overtired horrible mess.

Emma just fell asleep at the breast but it's 8am here so I've got to get us all in the car so she's gonna throw a fit :-/

We swaddled DS1 for a couple of months but DS2 has always hated being constricted. He hated being swaddled, hated the sleeping bag, hates blankets. He has also basically never slept in the car or buggy. He hates the front pack now but he did used to sleep in it as a newborn. He hated the bouncy seat, etc, etc. We've never offered him a pacifier, but we tried with DS1 and he wouldn't take one.

Gadgets just haven't worked for my kids!

My girl is only two and a half weeks but she pretty much hates everything too. She doesn't take the pacifier (tried four or five different kinds) and doesn't fall asleep from rocking. She doesn't like the swing and doesn't like vibration. She hates the car seat and the car. She will only doze in the stroller if I'm moving and only for a while. She does nurse to sleep but doesn't always stay asleep. She hated the bassinet and slept with me for two weeks until finally starting to sleep in the rock and sleep. She won't fall asleep on her own either. I'm basically attached to her by the boob. She's my only baby so I'm able to give her all my attention but I can't imagine what I would've done if she wasn't.

Reading the other replies I see myself as very lucky! Isla didn't like any comfort object but she has always been a very happy baby and hasn't really ever needed much comforting so it hasn't been a problem for me.

My first hated bring swaddled and restricted at all. We tried white noise, light projection etc... but it just put us to sleep. She loved her pram but only awake, I could literally put her in asleep and she would wake up out of pure nosiness. She has also never had a comforter even though I tried to introduce one but she'd play with it a while then throw it away. She did love being rocked and having a dummy though so I'm lucky there.

Both my kids seem to hate the car in the early days. My first grew to love it and is now how we get her to sleep when desperate, in hoping it's the same with my Lb!

I hope you find something soon, so much of parenting is trial and error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->