Anyone else have a horse??

fee & bump

Reaction score
Hey guys..just wondered if anyone else had a horse and how they cope.

I have a horse that is on loan to a friend at the mo but she can't have him anymore so he'll be coming back in the next few weeks. I put him on loan when I found out I was pregnant and wasn't expecting to get him back until a while after the LO is born. Now I am going to have him back sooner and I am panicing about how I am going to cope.

I'll be OK during the Summer as he can live out but I don;t know where I will find the time to ride with a newborn.

Tips please!!!! : )

Where do you keep him usually? Some yards offer a full livery service where they will look after the horse for you, but i know my old yard used to charge quite a bit for it. Or part DIY Livery. My friend had a horse when she had a LO and she used to take the baby down the yard with her when she went to see to the horse and she got a friend of hers to ride him xx

I have a horse, who is tankfully out on loan until October. That said I would have been more than happy to have him back as sooo bored right now! As it is coming in to summer holiday time, you might be able to find a teen/capable child who would like a summer horse. Depending on his type of course and his level. Also, if he is the type to handle it, you may want to contact a local riding school, as they might be able to take him on working livery for the summer as a last resort. \

Where abouts are you based?

Hi he will be kept on a livery yard but DIY as it is really expensive. He is also a Criollo from Argentina and a very sensitive soul so wouldn't suit everyone. He is also ridden Western and I don't know anyone else else that rides western here as it is different from USA western as he is only trained to be riden with one hand!!

I would love to have him back but I just don't know how I'd cope with doing it all once baby comes along as this is my first baby and I know they take up a lot of time.

Hey hun sorry to hear your friend cant keep him for a little longer. i have an ex race horse aho i have just given a long holiday whilst i've been pregnant and plan on bringing her back into work slowly when baby comes along..thankfully my oh is really good with Kyte (my nag) and has really helped out with all the work i cant manage now...is there any way you could find someone else to ride him / take him on loan for a few more months...have you tried a western society type thing, i know they exist but unfortunately it isnt my thing so dont know too much about it .. is he the type that has to be worked or could you get away with giving him a holiday for a while? also another thought if you can manage to give him a holiday could you not see if there's anyone near by who needs a field companion over the winter .. would definately lower the winter costs etc and you'd probs be able to work out some kind of rota to help each other out?? hope you manage to sort something hun:hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxx

Thanks Sara thats a good idea as he can quite happily take a holiday and not be a loon when he comes back into work. I may put up an advert to see if anyone wants him as a field companion as he is soo laid back and gets on with other horses...just is not happy for someone he doesn't know to catch him etc. xx

no probs hun hope you get something sorted :hugs:

sara

xxxx

loan him to me lol :lol:

I sold my horse at about 22 weeks because I couldn't cope with going up to the yard everyday. What about a sharer, rather than a loaner?

am so jelous of u all !! i use to go when i was little , but then my mam stopped me going :hissy:
wud love to start up again x

i have a horse but atm my boyfriend does her every day bless him, i havent rode her since being pregnant, and nobody else can ride her shes quite a handfull, these last few weeks ive had a good friend coming up to ride her as i can trust she wont rag her about and panic like everyone else does! i really wouldnt loan mine out im so picky and i know id be on their back all the time and checking up on her which wouldnt be fair, this is my first baby due in 2 weeks and i plan on taking baby to the farm with me every day, the yard im on is fairly quiet i plan to just leave him in the pram while i get on with my stuff there, and i want to get back into riding asap, i will just leave my baby to one side of the paddock while i ride as i dont see any harm in it, but with it being my first i dnt know how everything will turn out, how tired ill be etc but i see no problem in having baby there quietly in the pram?

Is there nobody on ur farm u trust to leave baby with sometimes as well? if u wanted to ride out?

i dont know ur lifestyle or anything but im guessing ull have a while with maternity leave, and lots of time with baby so why not spend it att he farm hehe ^^ i know ill probably be there all day every day as i dont fancy being stuck in the house with baby on my own while people are out doing their thing.

Shame you are not up near aberdeen as I might have known someone interested in a western horse.

I have 2 horses. Put them out on loan to a lovely girl while expecting my daughter. She gave them up when Olivia was around 6months to get her own horse. Found it hard work with a young baby & seeing to them. Never got chance to ride.

Moved them to a closer yard & got into a routine where i would ride when OH came home from work to look after Livvy. That stopped when dark nights came & they have been turned out 24-7 all winter... something which i didnt like but had no choice.

Now i have let my friend loan them, shes quite busy with college but gets up when she can. They still turned out 24-7. Also my gran nips up a few times in the week to check & feed them.

Can any family members help you out? They should be out most of the summer anyway so you may get a few months break. Maybe a girl at the yard can keep a check on him for you?

Its a really small livery yard and yes in the Summer it sounds great but I'm just thinking about when it comes to the Autum/winter and I can't leave the baby in a pram outside. Maybe I'm just panicking and should try it out. I worked fulltime and still found time for him everyday, twice a day so if I can get others to help out with the baby it shouldn't be too bad.

Just hard not knowing what its actually like to have a baby as in my head I keep thinking it can't be that hard!! lol

I have a horse! :D
Hes my baby :D although hes like 20 tones bigger than me (although thats questionable right now!)

I was riding last week. When I saw riding. I was on a walk. Litteraly, walking.... I got bored after 10 minutes. I cant wait to get back on him when the babys born! Havent Galloped in monnnths.

He stays in the fields my dad owns right by our house :)

I have a horse, she is an old girl now at 20 yrs old and an absolute angel. Im curretly still going up the yard everyday and riding 4-5 days a week, she neva puts a foot wrong bless her :) but I have now found a sharer for her as of next Monday,he will be doing her 5 days a week and me 2. Im actually quite sad about it as she is my baby and im worried im gonna get bored :( oh well hopefully baby will turn up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->