anyone else have this?

vejables

Reaction score
okay, so my little muffin here has been driving me nuts the past 2 days for the breast! she will eat every 1-1.5 hours, which is not the problem. but she will eat for 5-10 mins and the fall asleep, and then i put her down in crib and 5 mins later, she wants more!!! is she going through a growth spirt or something? she used to eat for 30-40 mins... why so short now? and so often?? if this keeps up i will need a set of new nipples and lots of :hugs:

She could be going through a growth spurt, but you could try doing what you can to keep her awake while she's feeding eg, moving her hands, feet etc. It can make them feed for longer.

Its said that breast fed babies eat a lot more and are always hungry.... and in a few case need to be put on formula because its not really known how much they are getting and again in a few cases are starving.

I'm breast feeding and formula feeding my baby because I'm not making that much milk, she eats every 2 hours... when we left the hospital she was eating ever 3-4 but now seems to eat a lot more now that I'm doing the BM too... I however and pumping so I can keep a track of how much she getting. You might want to try pumping because it could be that your baby itsnt getting enough. That way you can know for sure how much she is taking in.

as far are your nips hurting... I have learned thats just ho its going to be even if you do pump. :( so heres you a hug!:hugs:
I know how you feel.

Congrats by the way.... when was she born?

she was born on feb. 19th.

she seems to be doin a little better today, but keep acting like im choking her at times!!! do you ladies think my milk is comming out too fast or something?

Aw! mine was born on the 16th.

I'm glade shes doing better.... not sure about the flow of your milk... some one else who doesn't pump will need to help ya there.

Its said that breast fed babies eat a lot more and are always hungry.... and in a few case need to be put on formula because its not really known how much they are getting and again in a few cases are starving.

That's because breastmilk is designed for babies and is easier for them to digest, whereas their stomachs find it harder to digest formula which is cows milk based. You don't need to see how many ozs your baby is eating to know whether they're getting enough - if they're alert, gaining weight, weeing and pooing then they're fine :)

It's probably a growth spurt which can last 2-3 days. The best thing to do is eat lots of yummy snacks, drink LOADS and put your feet up and ride it out. It's a great excuse to veg, watch some films (or read if you can get the hang of it, I used to love my quiet reading feeding time with Ella).

If she continues feeding every hour for 5 mins or so after a few days have passed it could be comfort snacking and therefore I'd advise that you try to space the feeds out a little longer (to 2 hours) by taking her for a walk, snuggling her in a sling etc. My DS got into the habit of feeding little and often which gave him green poo, tummy ache and general unsettledness as he had lactose overload.

thanks so much kina. yeah, i didnt think i needed to know the ounces she's getting. and i refuse to use formula. and she seems to be doing fine gaining weight etc. and pooing and peeing (the pee is clear so that means she's getting enough?) she has been a little better today. we'll see how it goes tonight. (fingers crossed)

dont be sorry you said anything... any replies are helpful, and i thank you for replying. i'm just really iffy about formula as i know a guy who is diabetic from the formula his mum gave him

don't worry, your baby will not starve by solely breastfeeding it, if it is gaining weight and has wet and soiled nappies!

regarding the choking it might be that you have a fast let down reflex, means the milk comes out very fast in the beginning of the feed, once triggered by the sucking of the baby!

this might make her tired easily as she needs to swallow quickly!

you can help, if you hand express a little before each feed :hi:

(I had this in the beginning, but it settles once milk production is balanced :baby:)

It takes a good four weeks of feeding/growth cycles before your baby and your breasts figure it out. At up to 10 to 14 days baby will be regaining lost weight after birth. Then after that they hit a big growth spurt which adjusts your milk supply and composition to become more fit for an older newborn.

If baby is having a sufficient number of wet diapers you're good to go (10-12). There has even been some research that bf babies don't necessarily poo everyday either and THAT IS NOT A WORRY. So we just want to make sure the baby is staying hydrated. If that's the case, you're doing great.

:hugs:

Sounds like she is "cluster feeding" vejables which happens during growth spurts. Instead of letting her fall asleep, try blowing gently on her face to wake her up, or remove an article of clothing even because if she is too warm she will fall asleep quickly when feeding...

Let us know how it goes hun!

I am breastfeeding and bottle feeding and Jasmine goes every 3-4hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"