Anyone else have to have non-stress tests / foetal heart monitoring?

MrsHedgehog

Reaction score
I live in Italy and here from 38 weeks you have to go in for regular non-stress tests. It's so annoying as I'm not high risk and don't feel the need for this constant monitoring. My hospital is a 40minute drive away, the appointments last an hour and are always late so I end up spending all morning at the hospital. I have a 3 year old daughter as well so have to arrange childcare for her. All I want to do at this stage is put my feet up and rest before baby arrives, not go for these constant appointments. It's reassuring to know everything is ok with the baby but surely it's not really necessary at this stage?

I had them with my daughter, but only after I went past my due date.

I have them too from 37 weeks on, due to an autoimmune Disease that I have, they want to make sure my body isn't being sneaky and baby is thriving still. I honestly think it's super annoying too, my babies never cooperate and after being on the trace for an hour, I get sent to the hospital for a BPP ( biophysical profile, basically an ultrasound to check baby, fluid, blood flow, etc) everything is always fine, my babies are just stubborn..... Like you said it's nice to know things are ok in there, but this is all in addition to my appointment so like you said I end up being gone for over 3 hrs. I'm lucky that my parents come stay with my child but I hated doing them. I'm at a diff dr now so Im not sure what they will do with me in the end of this pregnancy.

Here you only have them if there is a problem. At 38 weeks my LO was suspected to weigh 8.5lbs with an estimated birth weight of 10.5lbs, they also saw increased amounts of amniotic fluid. I ended up having one at 39 weeks, and then was induced. I wouldn't say they are necessary unless you aren't feeling LO kick or having reduced movements - or any medical issues.

PS: My LO was born at 7lbs 11oz ... boy were they wrong!

I had them from 40 weeks last time. Only went 3 days over due so only had 1 NST. I actually liked it since they thoroughly checked the placenta etc for blood flow.

I had a biophysical profile done yesterday and discovered the cord is around the baby's neck. So, I am having NSTs every couple of days or if I feel reduced movements...or if I get too nervous.

They also bumped up my c-section by a week. I am very grateful to have them done, but it would be a pain in the butt if there wasn't a good reason for them.

If you're low risk, there's no point in them at this stage. I'd decline them if I were you, they sound like a huge hassle. I would have only done then if I went past 42 weeks.

I have them too from 37 weeks on, due to an autoimmune Disease that I have, they want to make sure my body isn't being sneaky and baby is thriving still. I honestly think it's super annoying too, my babies never cooperate and after being on the trace for an hour, I get sent to the hospital for a BPP ( biophysical profile, basically an ultrasound to check baby, fluid, blood flow, etc) everything is always fine, my babies are just stubborn..... Like you said it's nice to know things are ok in there, but this is all in addition to my appointment so like you said I end up being gone for over 3 hrs. I'm lucky that my parents come stay with my child but I hated doing them. I'm at a diff dr now so Im not sure what they will do with me in the end of this pregnancy.

Keira was the same! She just never cooperated during them and I had to go through 2 BPP's. (I had to have 2 of them because she was 9 days late)

I have it weekly along with another appointment a few days later for an ultrasound and talk to the doctor.
BUT I also have GD so that's why I have to get it done. I just take my DD2 with me. It's a bit stressful since she's in full blown toddler mode so a bit unpredictable at times, but it hasn't been that bad and I only have 2 more appointments before my c-sec :D

I've been getting them weekly for about a month now, but only because we had some growth concerns. The growth questions have been resolved, but they still want me doing the NSTs to be on the safe side. They're not an issue for me because I do them at my regular appointments, and after you've had a scare I like getting some reassuring feedback, but if I had to go out of my way to do them, I'd want there to be a really compelling reason. My NSTs are really laid back, though, from what I've heard from other moms. Since we're not ruling out labor and things look good in general, the midwives just hook me up and make sure that he has a few periods of movement with appropriate HR acceleration. I don't have to push buttons every time he moves or fulfill super specific criteria, he just has to have a few little baby parties.

I started fetal monitoring yesterday--32ish weeks and GD and I'm an older mom. Docs were worried about measuring large. Had an ultrasound the day before that showed baby measuring at 56 % pretty smack average so I guess all the worry was for nothing. I thought the test was actually a nice relaxing time with baby, despite or maybe because if the inconvenience of taking up the middle part of my workday to travel to do the 30 min appt (baby is wiggly like daddy so we moved through it quickly).

I was surprised to hear it is standard for you. I wonder why they do that.

I've been getting them weekly for about a month now, but only because we had some growth concerns. The growth questions have been resolved, but they still want me doing the NSTs to be on the safe side. They're not an issue for me because I do them at my regular appointments, and after you've had a scare I like getting some reassuring feedback, but if I had to go out of my way to do them, I'd want there to be a really compelling reason. My NSTs are really laid back, though, from what I've heard from other moms. Since we're not ruling out labor and things look good in general, the midwives just hook me up and make sure that he has a few periods of movement with appropriate HR acceleration. I don't have to push buttons every time he moves or fulfill super specific criteria, he just has to have a few little baby parties.

If it was just an nst, I really wouldn't mind. If I had to sit in the monitor for 30 minute, then see my dr ( I did them at my appointments too) that's fine. 1 hr of time to make sure baby is ok is fine by me. But my two girls NEVER REACTED, both of them were stinkers, and I'd be on the monitor for 1 hr then I would get sent to hospital for an US just to be on the safe side, so another hr, then back to my OB for the weekly appointment. 3 hrs time. Plus my dr was a 30 min drive from my house, I literally would be gone for 4 hrs!
Otherwise, a simple 30 min nst is no big deal, I just dreaded it bc it always turned into a circus for me....

Debbie, lol! Our girls should hang out, those stinkers! ( my first was induced at 9 days over, and my second at 7 days over.... They are similar to Keira!)

That sounds like a major hassle, Jules. We've had one or two longer ones, but I've started eating or drinking something sweet just before or during the NST, and it helps a lot. I'm sure I'd be a lot less thrilled with them if I had to go through such a bit production every time.

Well youre having a little boy, he's behaving nicely for you :) I should've known my girls would be trouble when they never cooperated! I would drink the McDonald's size large ( it's like huge) orange hi c drink driving on the way. The office kept Reese's peanut butter cups in their staff fridge for me, and I'd eat like 3 before and during the test! One of the nurses would bring in her iPhone and play the baby music up against my stomach, then she also turned the flashlight app on, so she would shine the light on my stomach.mi would get up and go for a walk for 10 minutes, I would do squats and jumping jacks.... I had ice cold water in a water bottle... You name it, these buggers wouldn't cooperate, it was a joke in the office. Such a headache!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->