Anyone else in denial about the whole over 35 thing?

I am totally in denial that I even am over 35. I got pregnant really easily on my first and still most of the time think it's going to be relatively 'easy' to get pregnant again. Then I get gripped by moments of horror when I think that Thomas will be an only child and it will never happen again for me. We have only been trying for about six months so it's early days.

Hi all, just joining in as I like a nice discussion!
It's pretty much medical fact that it's harder to get pregnant when you're older and particularly after 35/40 etc etc. So it would be good if everyone was more open about fertility problems/miscarriage and other related issues as a lot of people aren't aware of possible problems (and I include myself in that). The only people who I have discussed fertility problems/miscarriage with is friends with kids after I had DS1 - it all comes out of the woodwork then! BUT I don't think that accepting the possible problems that come with age is the same as blaming people for leaving it too long (and certainly shouldn't be) - at the end of the day many women and men start relationships later, careers later and thinking about having kids later and we as a society just need to accept this and make sure people are informed (and we should also inform ourselves).
Re the comments about people having problems in their 20s I also think there should be more awareness of infertility in younger people as again this is one of those things people don't hear about till it happens to them...
Hope this makes sense as I'm half asleep now :coffee:

I had alot of problems conceiving in my 20's and early 30's ( ovulated about twice a year due to pcos) now in my 40's I ovulate naturally every cycle so yes I am a little in denial over people saying fertility over 40 is lower.

Clearly I was in denial when my husband and I started trying in May (after his successful reversal). Since I got pregnant with our other 2 children (7 & 9) with relative ease, I just assumed it would be the same. I kept it in the back of my head that "they" say it is harder for those over 35, but I didn't think it would be me. Well here we are in our 4th month of trying TTC #3 (we skipped a 2 months inbetween). I am 6/7 DPO and will know by next Sunday or Monday. I have already made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday the 25 to discuss my infertility, just in case - hopefully I'll be able to cancel that.
Best wishes for everyone out there TTC.

Clearly I was in denial when my husband and I started trying in May (after his successful reversal). Since I got pregnant with our other 2 children (7 & 9) with relative ease, I just assumed it would be the same. I kept it in the back of my head that "they" say it is harder for those over 35, but I didn't think it would be me. Well here we are in our 4th month of trying TTC #3 (we skipped a 2 months inbetween). I am 6/7 DPO and will know by next Sunday or Monday. I have already made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday the 25 to discuss my infertility, just in case - hopefully I'll be able to cancel that.

Hi Lorraine2, I'm in a similar situation to you except TTC #2 and been trying about 15 months - also thought it would be quick as DS1 was quick and I did get pregnant quickly again but m/c ans since then nothing :cry:
I also saw my doctor (I'm UK, not sure where you are) - she was great and referred me (about 9mths since TTC after the m/c) so I have an appointment with the hospital in a few weeks (blood tests and HSG). I'm also similar DPO (about 10 today - I just use OPKs so not sure exactly when) but :witch: is due Sun/Mon so we can be cycle buddies!!
:dust:

Am I not the only one who's been in denial about being over 35 who thought it was going to be really easy conceiving?

I'm 37 and been trying since April following a mc. You spend all those years preventing pregnancy and now it's a bit of a wake up call that it's a lot damn harder than you ever thought it would be!! :cry:

With you on this one Wabblit :thumbup: Through my rose tinted specs I'd have had my :baby: by now, but after a year of trying I've definitely 'woken up'!!! Good luck :flower: x

Totally in denial here. I'm 36 (but eternally 28 in my head for some reason) and we just started TTC my second/our first together 3 cycles ago. Figured I'd get knocked up the first time around. No such thing. While 3 cycles isn't as long as many TTC, it still isn't happening as quickly as I anticipated.
First pregnancy was achieved so easily! Go off of b/c, pregnant the next cycle. Haven't been on b/c for YEARS, just did the natural family planning method or used the films... Now? Ha! I'm concerned about all kinds of crazy things and obsessing like a crazy person.
Ridiculous.
BUT, I know it will happen when it's supposed to - for myself and for all of you as well! :hugs:
:dust: to all of you lovely ladies!

Am I not the only one who's been in denial about being over 35 who thought it was going to be really easy conceiving?

I'm 37 and been trying since April following a mc. You spend all those years preventing pregnancy and now it's a bit of a wake up call that it's a lot damn harder than you ever thought it would be!! :cry:

With you on this one Wabblit :thumbup: Through my rose tinted specs I'd have had my :baby: by now, but after a year of trying I've definitely 'woken up'!!! Good luck :flower: x

Thanks and to you too! I'm feeling super positive this month which I know means I will be more depressed if it doesn't happen. I soooooo don't feel my age (37). Sending a sackfull of :dust: to all you lovely ladies. Fx! :wave:

Our minds are really young theses days, and hey, lets say we are gorgeous at our age!!:winkwink::winkwink::winkwink:

But yes, In denial? No I don´t think I am... I think I have reached the point when I am quite realistic that it might not happen. However I keep my little hope that it might do as well, as we see BFPs hapening at our age..

It is upsetting thought, month after month and BFN... but I think most understand what I mean here

Likewise, I kind of assumed that as we are both fit and healthy and I have no history of any sort of gynae probes everything would be fine. We have been trying since JAN without even a sniff of a BFP and I'm starting to get stressed by the whole business. I am 36.

Yep I just don't think it's that easy, and to be frank when some driveby posts on the forum that they got pregnant first month it is quite upsetting.

Still onwards and upwards hey ladies...

Positive thoughts ladies. We will get our BFPs I feel it in me bones :wave: :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Hi Lorraine2, I'm in a similar situation to you except TTC #2 and been trying about 15 months - also thought it would be quick as DS1 was quick and I did get pregnant quickly again but m/c ans since then nothing :cry:
I also saw my doctor (I'm UK, not sure where you are) - she was great and referred me (about 9mths since TTC after the m/c) so I have an appointment with the hospital in a few weeks (blood tests and HSG). I'm also similar DPO (about 10 today - I just use OPKs so not sure exactly when) but :witch: is due Sun/Mon so we can be cycle buddies!!

Hey SWLondonMum, Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your m/c. I wound up getting AF on Friday. :growlmad: Hope things turn out differently for you. So, I'll go to my appointment with my ob/gyn on Tuesday. I am not really sure what to except, but hopefully she'll run some tests and tell me that I am just being impatient (which I am). I've been charting and using opk so I know we've been timing it right. Have you thought about charting your temps? It gets a little tedious, but it does provide me with some comfort when I see the temp rise (confirming O).
I live in the States.

:hugs:

Ok so I'm actually going to ask since I havn't even looked into it myself. What is so different for us just because we are over 35?

I wasn't sure either, but this is what I found on a quick search. Maybe this is why clomid is one of the first things doctors try (from what I have heard from friends).

"Women are born with all the eggs they will ever have. While we are born with over a million eggs, by puberty just 300,000 are left. From this huge number of eggs, only 300 will ever become mature and be released in the process known as ovulation.

Way before menopause begins, our bodies' reproductive capabilities slow down, becoming less effective at producing mature, healthy eggs. As you age and come closer to menopause, your ovaries respond less well to the hormones that are responsible for helping the eggs ovulate."

I found this on the WebMD site.

Pregnancy After 35

As women reach their thirties, they experience a decline in fertility. Furthermore, complications during pregnancy are more common when women reach age 35.

Age-related decline in fertility may be due, in part, to the following:
A decrease in the number and health of the eggs to be ovulated.
Changes in the hormones resulting in altered ovulation.
Fewer number of eggs.
A decrease in sperm counts.
A decrease in the frequency of intercourse.
The presence of other medical and gynecologic conditions, such as endometriosis, which may interfere with conception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->