Anyone else in the States waiting for baby shower?

1sttimemama2b

Reaction score
It seems like everyone in the UK (and some folks in the US) buy all their baby stuff so early! It's making me feel nervous that I don't have anything yet. I am having a shower in March and I have everything picked out, but I am waiting to see what people are kind enough to gift me before I go crazy buying bunch of stuff. Whatever people don't buy off the registry (or we don't register for...like a breast pump) we will buy ourselves. I was just wondering if anyone else is holding off on their big purchases for their shower? This is my first time round, but I've done a ton of research on what I need, and I worked at a baby retailer for years. So I am pretty well versed on the necessities. I am sort of wishing my shower was sooner so I could have everything I need. I guess I'm just getting anxious that I might deliver early, even know there's no reason to indicate I will. Okay, sorry this is becoming a bit of a rant.

It's not silly to worry about delivering so early really, after all it has happened to several ladies without warning. I don't know enough people, especially not enough with any kind of disposable income, so I can't have a shower myself. Though we do have a few things already from people giving us stuff during our 4+years TTC, we have a ton of stuff to get. We are going to wait for a crib until after she is born though because we plan to co sleep for a while in the beginning, since I am breastfeeding especially. We have a bassinet but I'd rather get a playard that has a bassinet in it because they just seem so much more convenient, plus they're portable and our bassinet isn't really. As for a changing table, well some of the playards have them so we might get one of those, but you can really use any clean surface, so don't stress about getting it. My best friend had a changing table and rarely used it. She usually changes her kids on the floor on a blanket. The only thing I am freaking out about making sure we get soon is the car seat because you can't leave the hospital without it anyway. I think the hospital gives a few free diapers too, so if she comes early before we have gotten our reusable diapers, worst case scenario, we will buy a pack of disposables on the way home, or hubby can get them while I'm still in the hospital, and then we can order the reusables ASAP. We have some newborn hats that were given to us, so the one last thing to worry about having just in case would be a few onesies and a sleepsack.

I'm going to wait until the baby shower(s) this summer before we buy anything. I have a huge family, OHs family, friends, plus co-workers. Everyones really excited already so I don't want to spend unnessecerily. I think the only thing we may buy is the Pram and crib cause they are far to expensive for a registry.

I'm going to wait until my shower as well until I buy anything. It's hard to stop myself from buying though!

I'm not from states , I'm from Canada
but I am waiting for my shower in April which my mom is throwing for me.

The only things we've bought is the stroller, breast pump & bottles (because I wanted bottles to fit our breastpump)

I have bought a few things used (off craigslist) or when I've found them on clearance. But I am also waiting until after the shower to buy most stuff. All that baby equipment gets so expensive! I really want to get a crib now, but I just can't find one I like in our price range (cheap). We were going to use an old crib in the family, but it just would take way too much work to make it safe.

I haven't heard if my family is planning a shower, but I am guessing they will. So I also have not bought anything yet. I will buy a crib and and personal items myself though, like a breastpump for instance. But the rest I will just wait until close to the last minute and just have a fun shopping day with hubby.

It's not silly to worry about delivering so early really, after all it has happened to several ladies without warning. I don't know enough people, especially not enough with any kind of disposable income, so I can't have a shower myself. Though we do have a few things already from people giving us stuff during our 4+years TTC, we have a ton of stuff to get. We are going to wait for a crib until after she is born though because we plan to co sleep for a while in the beginning, since I am breastfeeding especially. We have a bassinet but I'd rather get a playard that has a bassinet in it because they just seem so much more convenient, plus they're portable and our bassinet isn't really. As for a changing table, well some of the playards have them so we might get one of those, but you can really use any clean surface, so don't stress about getting it. My best friend had a changing table and rarely used it. She usually changes her kids on the floor on a blanket. The only thing I am freaking out about making sure we get soon is the car seat because you can't leave the hospital without it anyway. I think the hospital gives a few free diapers too, so if she comes early before we have gotten our reusable diapers, worst case scenario, we will buy a pack of disposables on the way home, or hubby can get them while I'm still in the hospital, and then we can order the reusables ASAP. We have some newborn hats that were given to us, so the one last thing to worry about having just in case would be a few onesies and a sleepsack.

We are skipping the bassinet/co-sleeper and getting this pac n play instead https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Playar...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296434465&sr=1-3.

We plan on using it in our bedroom for the baby to sleep for the first few months. Then we will move him to a regular crib in his own room. What sold me was the newborn napper that vibrates. It looks/feels so cozy. It's more expensive than the regular pack n plays but I feel like it's multi-purpose and can be used much longer that a bassinet or co-sleeper.

I haven't bought anything yet, partly because I feel like it's bad luck, and partly because I don't want to spend the money if people are going to give/gift me things.

I'm not sure yet when my baby shower will be, but I'm going to encourage friends and family to combine money and just get the really big, expensive things (like a crib, a stroller, a carseat, etc.) so that all I have to worry about are the small things. Hopefully people agree lol

I have been buying the things that won't be popular baby shower gifts (or that I didn't put on the registry). For example, no one wants to buy you nipple cream or maternity pads :) So I went ahead and got that. Also, we are cloth diapering and I have a feeling not many people are going to want to buy those...so I have been slowly stocking up monthly so it is not such a large purchase all at once. Otherwise I will wait and see what people buy after our shower in April!

Luckily, I have a pack-rat of a mom who saved pretty much everything from when I was little. So I'm getting my old cradle, crib, high chair, and even some clothes. She's also already gone mad crocheting blankets & hats & buying baby clothes. MIL also loves to shop.

My mom has offered to buy a crib mattress & a car seat & my supervisor is giving me lots of 2nd hand stuff from when she had her son so I feel like most of my big stuff is already covered.

I may register for some toys, cloth diapers, diaper bags, crib sheets, clothes, etc. -- things in a $10-$40 range. I have a feeling my coworkers will throw me a shower and some of my friends and family may buy something, too, but I don't expect anyone to drop a significant amount of money to buy something like a stroller, crib bedding, breast pump, etc. so I'm planning to buy those things myself as soon as my income tax refund gets here. :haha:

I purchased our crib, but only because that is one large item that I was stressing about and it is probably not going to be bought for me at a shower (and it was a great price at Costco, and their stuff comes and goes so I didn't count on it being there later). My mom and sisters have gone a lil crazy getting us little things but I don't plan on buying anything until after my shower. I know my hubby's side is having a shower for us in April (they live further away than my family) and my family is having a shower for us probably a little sooner, so I figure that gives us two months to get the rest of the necessities.

I haven't bought anything either and am waiting for the shower, which will be April 2nd. Apparently the shower date is early too, but we did that in case I DO go early.

Luckily, I have a pack-rat of a mom who saved pretty much everything from when I was little. So I'm getting my old cradle, crib, high chair, and even some clothes. She's also already gone mad crocheting blankets & hats & buying baby clothes. MIL also loves to shop.

My mom has offered to buy a crib mattress & a car seat & my supervisor is giving me lots of 2nd hand stuff from when she had her son so I feel like most of my big stuff is already covered.

I may register for some toys, cloth diapers, diaper bags, crib sheets, clothes, etc. -- things in a $10-$40 range. I have a feeling my coworkers will throw me a shower and some of my friends and family may buy something, too, but I don't expect anyone to drop a significant amount of money to buy something like a stroller, crib bedding, breast pump, etc. so I'm planning to buy those things myself as soon as my income tax refund gets here. :haha:

Be careful with using old cribs and high chairs. Safety standards have changed quite a bit over the years and there have been tons of recalls. My mom still has my old crib too, but I would be far too afraid to use something 24 years old. Also note that drop-side cribs have been outlawed, effective 2012.

We are skipping the bassinet/co-sleeper and getting this pac n play instead https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Playar...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296434465&sr=1-3.

We plan on using it in our bedroom for the baby to sleep for the first few months. Then we will move him to a regular crib in his own room. What sold me was the newborn napper that vibrates. It looks/feels so cozy. It's more expensive than the regular pack n plays but I feel like it's multi-purpose and can be used much longer that a bassinet or co-sleeper.

See, that's why I want to get a playard instead of just using the bassinet we have, too. I looked at the one you linked, but I didn't like the reviews of it on walmart.com. Right now I am looking at these two:
https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1949451903P
https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2147344603P

I haven't bought anything either because I am waiting for my shower which is in April.

Be careful with using old cribs and high chairs. Safety standards have changed quite a bit over the years and there have been tons of recalls. My mom still has my old crib too, but I would be far too afraid to use something 24 years old. Also note that drop-side cribs have been outlawed, effective 2012.

I'm not a total idiot. :winkwink:

i have my shower the first weekend of march but ive already gotten a lot of stuff on my own

I had a surprise shower last wk, only because we are military and it was my last visit home until next yr as we r moving states away again this wk. I guess i lucked out. I love having stuff now!

My shower isnt until May. Im really not counting on much beside outfits though. There will mostly be co-workers at the shower as all my family live out of state.
We have a carseat, and a crib but practically nothing else. I have been concentrating on the cloth diaper stash which is almost done now so I can move to bigger things.
I defiantly want a co-sleeper, a bouncer, a swing, a babyhawk and a miracle blanket but Im waiting till I find a good deal on them. :thumbup:
Stuff like clothes can be bought at any time and babe is due in June so not too much use for outfits anyway.

I'm in the UK and will be having a baby shower in May but we're buying all the expensive items like furniture, pushchair, carseat and putting the restbon the gift list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->