Anyone else miserable?

Wizzy

Reaction score
Hi girls, just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm a single first time Mum. My pregnancy was not in anyway planned and was a huge shock to the system. I'd wanted kids young for years but after having had my miscarriage I'd settled on finding myself Mr. Right first and having a steady career. I'd only just begun my second year at university when I found out I was expecting. Shortly after I was single.

I've taken anxiety attacks for a couple of years (they are triggered by the idea I could vomit, so someone saying they feel unwell, potential germs etc). I'm on an anti-sickness drug that can also be prescribed as a anti-anxiety drug which I take at the onset of an attack. At my six week check up the doctor whom had never dealt with me before, decided I needed to be referred to the perinatal mental heath team and removed from the medication and put on to an anti-depressant. A couple of weeks later I had to see my regular doctor who fortunately seen that my anxiety was nothing to do with pregnancy nor my child and had been a long standing issue so said my continued use of the anti-sickness drug was fine however not a solution so was referred for CBT.

I'm fortunate that we live with my Mum (A nightshift nurse) who has been my rock and a massive help.

Fast forward a couple of months, Roo is almost four months old. I'm beginning to become resentful of him and it's tearing me apart. I understand that being a parent means you rarely get a good sleep but due to my anxiety I don't sleep at night. And on the odd occasion when I can, I'm scared to because I don't wake up to him crying. Fortunately the nights my Mum's not working she will but the nights she is, I can't. I don't want to go out because babies are a magnet for people to touch and spread germs. I'll get my Mum to feed him at every opportunity because I'm paranoid he'll vomit (He had a lot of mucus and brought nearly every bottle up the first two weeks). My Mum and I have a system, she takes him around 8am till lunch to let me get a sleep. Upon trying to wake me up I'm horrible. I can barely wake up, I turn nasty and even when she brings my son in, he'll smile yet I can barely look in his direction. Once I fully wake-up (usually takes an hour or so) I regret it and feel awful.

I love my son, I do but I just feel that I'm going through the motions of parenthood. I just want to enjoy him.

I want to talk to my bestfriend (she has a son a year older than mine) but I felt that throughout my pregnancy all she wanted was me to be miserable and I feel that if I were to go to her she would be happy in my misery.

I don't know who to talk to. I feel if I speak to my doctor they'll just try and put me on anti-depressants which I won't take for fear of the side effects. I'd talk to my Mum but she already has so much on her plate with other things.

Any advice girls? xx

Honey, you may be suffering from postpartum depression, not just anxiety. I suggested getting back in to see your doctor, ASAP. As it can get very bad, very fast, and definitely triggered by the things you were talking about.

Postpartum Symptoms

"Loss of appetite
Insomnia
Intense irritability and anger
Overwhelming fatigue
Loss of interest in sex
Lack of joy in life
Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy
Severe mood swings
Difficulty bonding with your baby
Withdrawal from family and friends
Thoughts of harming yourself or your baby"

Honey, you may be suffering from postpartum depression, not just anxiety. I suggested getting back in to see your doctor, ASAP. As it can get very bad, very fast, and definitely triggered by the things you were talking about.

Thanks for replying, I know I should but I'm just terrified that they decide to put me on anti-depressants.

It's completely okay to be scared, but you need to get help, before you hurt him or yourself. Right now it's not too late, you can still gain the rest of his life loving him. and reaching out here for help shows that you really do love him, otherwise you wouldn't care enough to get help.

It's completely okay to be scared, but you need to get help, before you hurt him or yourself. Right now it's not too late, you can still gain the rest of his life loving him. and reaching out here for help shows that you really do love him, otherwise you wouldn't care enough to get help.

I'd never hurt him but I guess you're right. I think I'll speak to my Mum when she comes in (she's actually a psychiatric nurse) and see what she thinks about going to the doctors.

I agree with the postpartum depression post . I would talk to your doctor/mom for sure! I'm sorry your feeling like this :( being a mom is hard but you just have to hang in there , it will get Easier ! Not really any of my business but you friend sounds kinda mean, getting pleasure from your pain isn't much of a friend & support systems are so important ! Sounds like your mom is your support system, I would talk to her !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->