anyone else not been told to count movements?

happygal

mum of 3
Reaction score
most people on here seem to have been told to count their movements to make sure they are getting 10 a day. but my mw's have never told me to do this, at my last apt my mw asked me if bubs was moving ok but that was all that was mentioned about movements. so i was just wondering if theres anyone else who hasnt been told to count their movements?im thinking its another pregnancy related thing that seems to be different depending on the area you live x

i just been told to keep an eye on movements and if the pattern changes or she too quite for too long then to contact L+D. I think the 10 movement thing is just a general guide to use xxx

I've not been told to count rigidly, if you know what I mean. They haven't given me a kick chart or anything. But my midwife did mention about movement at my last appt, but just asked if I knew about keeping an eye on them, and I said yes. x

I havent been told to count them but she did ask at my last appointment if I was still getting lots of movement and I said how much should I be looking for and she said 10 in 12 hours is fine.
xx

Ive never been told to count movements - although am asked if baby is moving ok at most appointments..

it amazes me how things differ so much depending on where you live. you would of thought things would be the same x

The 10 movement guide is just guidance as to how much the baby should ideally be moving. But even then it's open to interpretation. I was told to count 10 movements in 24 hours. When I asked for elaboration, she said a kick, roll or a round of hiccups counted as a movement. And a round of 5 kicks could be counted as 5 movements.

I've also heard that you should count 10 movements in 12 hours, and one of my friends was told to lie down for an hour each day and count 10 movements in that hour alone. If I had been told that at 28 weeks I would have been paranoid, because even at it's most active, it wasn't moving that much in an hour until recently! I've also heard that a round of kicks can be classed as 1 movement, and that hiccups and rolls don't count :shrug:

Basically, if you know your baby's pattern, and you feel it's not as active as usual, then get it checked out. I found it useful to count 10 movements when I still wasn't sure about my baby's pattern. Only now do I know it moves all day long and I don't bother counting movements until I think it's being suspiciously quiet.

I would think a roll or hiccups should count as movement. Although dont mean each hiccup as one movement, rather the wholes series as one movement. It is strange that they say different things but suppose its hard to have strict guidelines when babies are all so different.

I've been told to take note of the baby's pattern of movement. If she goes quiet when she's normally really active then to contact L&D. Problem is i have an AP so it's hard sometimes.

I went to L&D on Friday due to baby only moving in the evening, still getting about 20 kicks then but nothing in the morning or afternoon like usual. On the US she was moving fine i just couldn't feel her, on the CTG she had a lazy heartbeat, still at 140bpm but not many accelerations/decelerations so i was told i was dehydrated so had to drink a whole jug of water and go for a walk, went back 20 minutes later and the CTG looked alot more lively so i was allowed to go home, on the condition that i kept my fluid intake up.

But they said if there's a decrease in movement to go in.

Hi

I was told 10 movements in 24 hrs, my baby doesn't seem to have a routine she just kicks very randomly.
If I change my daily routine its like she doesn't like it and doesn't really kick so much.

I went to L&D on Friday due to baby only moving in the evening, still getting about 20 kicks then but nothing in the morning or afternoon like usual
See, before 30 weeks I was lucky to get 10 kicks in the evening alone :shrug: And I've heard of ladies trying to count their movements, and going to get checked out when they'd felt nothing for 48 hours, and they were still told that they were worrying about nothing and told to go home, without so much as a doppler check! It's so hard to understand what to do :nope:

I went to L&D on Friday due to baby only moving in the evening, still getting about 20 kicks then but nothing in the morning or afternoon like usual
See, before 30 weeks I was lucky to get 10 kicks in the evening alone :shrug: And I've heard of ladies trying to count their movements, and going to get checked out when they'd felt nothing for 48 hours, and they were still told that they were worrying about nothing and told to go home, without so much as a doppler check! It's so hard to understand what to do :nope:

Yeh it's not easy, i just phone and don't take no for an answer, i'm very anxious and fearful in this pregnancy so maybe they just take me in and hook me up just to shut me up :blush:

I've not been told to monitor movements at all. All the midwife has asked me is whether or not I feel movements every day, nothing about how many or if they have decreased. I get all my advice about it on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->