Anyone else not really putting on weight?

QTPie

Reaction score
I was told off (a little bit), by the midwife, for not gaining any weight during the past 4 weeks.

I haven't really put on a lot of weight during pregnancy (11lbs by 32 weeks) and what I put on tends to be in "spurts" (will put on nothing for weeks, then maybe 4lbs, then nothing for weeks).

I think that my main problem is appetite... I eat a good breakfast, a good lunch, maybe a late afternoon snack, but have little enthusiasm for food in the evening (still eat, but not generally a "full dinner"). Before pregnancy, I used to be very active and have a great appetite: now I am less active (and the hormones greatly reduce the appeal of many foods - especially meat), I generally have less appetite. I still eat well and I have always been a healthy, athletic type (not skinny): so I LOOK well.

Baby is measuring small now (rate of growth slowed) and husband is trying to stuff food down my throat at every opportunity... but I know that baby growth is not always related to the amount of calories consumed by the mother (I must be around the 2000+ calories a day anyway).

Anyone else not put on a lot of weight and getting some grief for it?

QT

i havent had my weight measured since I was 8 weeks.

my MW's go on the scan and bump sizes as an indicator all is well.

Yup; my booking in appointment weight is the same weight as I am now. I think it was because my appetite dropped so much in first trimester, that I've spent the last two trimester's making it back up again...

Your not alone!

I havnt really put on weight on my body for a while now, i put on a lot in 2st tri and early 2nd, went up 1 clothes size, but after that its just been bump growing..

Hi QT -
I was exactly the same during my pregnancy - except that I didn't lose my appetite - I ate tons (3000 cals+ per day). I had LO at 36 weeks and at that time had only gained 16lbs total - most of that was in 2nd tri - I gained nothing at all from 31w to 36w. LO was also born at 6lbs11oz - which was the same as other fullterm babies in the hospital at the time, so he was big & healthy for what was technically considered a preemie.
Unlike you though, my midwife was not concerned about the weight since my fundal height measurement was increasing at a regular rate (though it was also measuring a few weeks small - but again the change was what they were looking for, since the measurement itself can be inaccurate).
xx

It's probably very different for me, as I was overweight before I fell pregnant.

But until 2 weeks ago I'd only gained 6lbs....my appitite has increased sooo much in the last 2 weeks I've now gained a further 6lbs.

If you are eating well, and don't feel hungry, I wouldn't worry. I haven't been weighed at all by my MW so it's interesting yours did. I personally wouldn't listen!!!

I haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks, but from my pre-preg weight I hadn't gained anything at 28 weeks. Mine is because I'm being so sick I'm not keeping food down but for some reason the midwife doesn't seem concerned, my bump is measuring a week behind too although at 25 weeks it was a week ahead, so I only gained 1cm in 3 weeks.

I have gained some weight overall though, because at my lightest I went down to just under 10st, and I'm now almost the 11st7 I was when I got pregnant. I know that the likelihood is from what I've read the majority of that is baby and waters and placenta etc though so I probably still weigh a fair bit less than pre preg. I certainly look slimmer in the arms and around the ribs xx

Not me, although I have not been weighed I am larger :blush: all over (not anything I cant deal with later)

Dont worry about it if your baby and body needed more food by heck you would know about it. I get seriously hungry and have no choice forinstance I have just eaten a muller corner and I am about to start on 2 clemintines :angel: I probably eat 2500 calories a day and apparently the baby is measuring a bit small too

Everybody is different.

I've put on 2 stone 1lb but it's all bumpage and boobs (2 cup sizes) - quite happy with that really! Apparently my face has slimmed down and i feel my legs and upper arms are a lil chunkier but nowt I'm worried about!

not getting an grief but not been weighed for ages! since about 16 weeks.

- i've only gone up a dress size from a 12 to a 14 and no visable 'fat' you know, extra weight anywhere. xxx

Me! I lost weight in first tri but have only put on 2lbs since 16 weeks xx

Naw, I haven't put on weight anywhere except for my bump and boobies :)
My partner's always trying to get me to eat, but I have to eat when I feel like it, and I am doing ok food wise, it's not like i'm starving myself and baby's doing well (my bump's measuring small for how many weeks I am but at growth scan baby showed to be doing perfectly). Soooo I duunnnoooo! Just the way things go I suppose eh! xxx

I lost 9lbs in the first tri and put it back on by the middle of 2nd tri, I have now managed a further 4lbs (oly 1lb in the last 4 weeks tho) but as you got told off by the mw as I have now started to faint. I eat plenty but not enough protein apparently (I'm veggie) I have now upped my protein intake more cheese, beans, eggs, we'll see what happens now. I am also very anaemic.

I was overweight to begin with and have only put on 10lb which my husband cant work out seen as I eat so much more. I dont feel my bump is big but MW says its fine. Ive had growth scan and all seems ok. I think everyone is just so different and has a different PG each time. Some MW's just try to find something to moan about I think xx

I've put on about a stone. I've only had a bump 2 weeks and had to have a scan as I was too small, baby is fine actually bigger than average. Don't worry.

well i lost about 20 lbs in first tri and have only gained 8 lbs back. my doctor only said something once and just tells me to take a easy. to be honest i do nothing lol and i eat so much.

Apparently a lot of people don't get weighed - so me being weighed is unusual...

Will keep eating healthily (and as much as I can - with bad appetite and food aversions...) and try not to worry too much.

QT

QTPie - keep eating, eat something healthy and don't worry about eating things that are not that healthy. If you have not gained weight your body will need a few extra cals. don't worry your little bean will take what he needs. x

I haven't been weighed by the midwife but the last time I weighed myself (27) weeks I hadn't put on any weight at all. I was measuring a week ahead at the 28 week scan but my bump is defo all baby.

I must weigh myself again to see what I am now. I was expecting to put on some weight cos I have turned into a chocolate fiend.

I lost just under 3 stone in first tri. Iv been weighed at every MW or hospital visit. I asked to be weighed so that I could see if I was putting weight on.
Since I was 13 weeks I have put on 1lb and 4oz! Baby is now 5lbs and growing well. They told me not to worry at all because baby is totally happy and growing well.
As long as ur giving ur body the things it needs and baby is growing well, then i wouldnt worry.
One positive thing is, the less u gain the less u have to lose x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->