Anyone else not trust the "get help after one year of unsuccessful trying"?

NurseMommyTTC

Reaction score
So.....this is cycle 4 ttc #2 and so far EVERY cycle we have dtd either the day before and/or day of O and NOTHING. Not even a chemical. I know most doctors say if you are young that you dont need to get checked out until after a year of trying, but "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" says if you have been tracking O and have been having sex at your peak fertile times, and still have not had a pregnancy by 4-5 cycles that it is a good idea to get checked out. I just feel like its not going to happen, with DD we conceived her second cycle off the pill and this time around I have pinpointed O to the T every cycle and we have had sex at great times. Im shocked I am not pregnant yet. I am starting to think something is wrong with one of us now. We are both young and overall healthy (OH smokes, but he also smoked when DD was conceived so nothing has changed). I am currently 10 DPO and feel completely normal, I highly doubt im pregnant. I even used Preseed this cycle. Trying not to be negative but I am getting depressed, especially with so many girls at work getting pregnant so easily and I am trying so hard. I just want it to happen already so I can relax a bit. :(

My last bfp it took 7 cycles post IUD with tracking O via opks and bbt. I was previously engaged, and when he felt like our relationship was ending he talked me into getting off bcp (not hard to do) but in the few months of that we never conceived.

On the flip, three of my five Angels were unplanned. Bcp, condoms, plan b, timing gone wrong.

I'm 26 and healthy. SO is 28 and healthy. We have conceived together and with previous partners. Countdown to Pregnancy has a great tool that talks about conception chances with age. Even at my peak age early this year of 25 the chances of conception were only 20-25%.

So while I hated my gyn and bugged her every cycle, the 12 year mark can hold true/ prevents unnecessary testing.

Not to get your hopes up, but my cycle 7 I used pressed after dtd and felt normal. My tests are still blaring positive sigh. Good luck!

My last bfp it took 7 cycles post IUD with tracking O via opks and bbt. I was previously engaged, and when he felt like our relationship was ending he talked me into getting off bcp (not hard to do) but in the few months of that we never conceived.

On the flip, three of my five Angels were unplanned. Bcp, condoms, plan b, timing gone wrong.

I'm 26 and healthy. SO is 28 and healthy. We have conceived together and with previous partners. Countdown to Pregnancy has a great tool that talks about conception chances with age. Even at my peak age early this year of 25 the chances of conception were only 20-25%.

So while I hated my gyn and bugged her every cycle, the 12 year mark can hold true/ prevents unnecessary testing.

Not to get your hopes up, but my cycle 7 I used pressed after dtd and felt normal. My tests are still blaring positive sigh. Good luck!

Are you currently pregnant after cycle 7? Like was cycle 7 your recent bfp?

Oh....I just saw your signature, I am sorry for your losses <3
Is your progesterone low? I have a friend who has had like 4-5 MC's and she discovered it was because her progesterone was low. She then started taking progesterone and has had two successful pregnancies! But it makes me feel a little more optimistic that your cycle 7 was after using preseed....was it your first time using it?

They do say on average that it can take a year to get pregnant. I think realistically the doctors say that because if everyone could go to the doctors to try to conceive right away, they would. I went way prior to a year, because I had a long history of amenoreah so we knew we needed help. If you feel like something is wrong, I would definitely talk to your doctor... And maybe they would be willing to do some tests? My doctor was more than kind enough to try to help us, and when she couldn't we ended up having to do fertility treatments.... So I don't think everyone is stuck on the year thing. Although we've been trying 15 months with no luck.

I think it's very different for everyone.

But I certainly don't think that 4 well timed cycles without a BFP means something is wrong. Perfectly timed intercourse only gives healthy fertile people about a 20-25 percent chance. A LOT of crazy things have to happen for that little line to show up. And it's not a compounded statistic, so two months doesn't mean 40-50 percent. It goes up about 5 percent in the second month, about 8 percent in the next month.

Statistics are weird. lol.

My PERSONAL suggestion would probably be to give it a few more months. But who the heck am I??? lol. No seriously... what I mean is it's YOUR body. There are some simple tests, like blood work, you can get done that you could probably get a doctor to prescribe this early on.

And even with my personal opinion, I certainly don't see any harm in getting checked out earlier. I waited almost two years and wish I hadn't waited THAT long.

Good luck in whatever you do. I've certainly found that if there is anything I can say about TTC and fertility... it's that there is no right and wrong answer to anything.

Thanks for all of your input! I have some spotting today which is odd as af isn't due until Tuesday. Fx it's IB! Only time will tell.....

In my experience it took us 17 cycles trying before we got our bfp! That's almost a year and a half.

Hubby and I are both healthy and were 26 when we started trying. No fertility probs that we knew of had check ups with our doctors to make sure everythin was in working order.

I timed every cycle perfectly. I charted, ate healthy, took pills and nothing. Don't worry this isn't one of those stories where I say just when we gave us trying it happened lol cos that isn't the case.

On my 16th cycl I started taking soy isoflavones- supposed to act like nature's clomid and promote healthy ovulation. I had regular periods and ovulated on my own, and I know this as I used to chart every cycl.

First cycl of soy was unsuccessful, second cycl bfp! We still planned our bd as usual perfectly around o time and still took my vitamins etc. So we didn't give in and quit just kept on trying even though we had no fertility problems.

So I guess that it just depends on the couple and that the 1 year rule is def not somethin set in stone- it can happen quicker for some and even later for others!

Hope it happens for u soon- trying to concieve can really take over your life but it will be all worth it in the end! Good luck!

I took me 6 months for the baby we lost last year and then 6 months after that to conceive my son. The cycle in which we conceived my son I didn't do any tracking or monitoring and just relaxed. Sometimes you can stress too much and it doesn't help, it's quite normal to feel anxious that there's something wrong but there most likely isn't. Try and relax. Best of luck to you, I hope it happens soon.

I know it can seem frustrating but 4 months is nothing to worry about. The average is actually 8 cycles and it is perfectly normal for it to take up to a year and more.
I am on cycle 8 post D&C with no luck yet. I fell pregnant very quickly the first two times. Think it goes to show that each time it will vary in the amount of time it takes. With only a 20% chance each cycle I'm not surprised that it can take a while &#128522;
As long as your healthy and taking your vitimins you will get there and probably sooner than you think.
Good luck :flower:

Sorry to clarify it was cycle 7 after getting my iud out that I got my bfp. I have 27 day cycles typically so I took it out early April
and fell pregnant early September. My progesterone was fine. It just wasn't meant to be. Most likely the extreme stress I was under. Shrugs

4 months is nothing, and certainly well within normal. Try 8 years, now that was a long wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->