Anyone else petrified of blood tests?

x Zaly x

Mum of three
Reaction score
Hey ladies. Pointless thread really but just felt I had to talk about it and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

I had my first midwife appointment last friday and I knew id need to get blood taken so I tried to mentally prepare myself as much as possible so gritted my teeth and got on with it. Usually its an easy process for me because I have good veins but this time was just awful. I told her I was extremely nervous so she told me to lay down just in case because she had to take four tubes. So she put the belt around my arm and said something you just don't say to someone scared of blood and needles "You have great veins, as soon as I put that needle in, the blood is going to squirt up into my eye" I had to ask her not to say that as it was making me feel queasy but I think she was trying to crack a joke to make me feel better when it didn't. So anyway she took the first tube and it wasn't so bad but then when she went to change the bottle it felt like she pushed the needle to far in and i screamed because it hurt so much, I started to panic and asked her why it was hurting because iv never felt it sore before and she just said oh I don't know why its hurting and then i started to faint, was horrible :( My arm still hurts and its bruised. Now im even more petrified to get them in the future.

Anyone else ever had a bad experience? Or any useful tips for next time? xx

Omg Im sorry thats horrible :nope: Im sooo petrified of needles I really need to ball up and do it though, I would be so angry if I had someone say that to me. I really dont have any advice, the last time I got blood drawn I was probably 12 yrs old im 24 now. So Im very nervous. All I can say is that everyone is different hopefully they will be professional about it next time.

I'm not afraid of having blood taken but I've had several bad experiences as I've got awful veins! The only thing I can say is to ask and ask again if the person taking the blood is confident that they can do it. I've had numerous puncture wounds when nurses and doctors tried in vain (excuse the pun) to get blood from me and when they've finally succeeded I'm black and blue and in pain for weeks. Now I just refuse to be a pin cushion for anyone who isn't confident enough to do it right first time!

Hopefully that's all the blood they'll need from you now!

Having blood taken is usually fine for me never had a problem this lady that was taking mine was useless, she started by asking if I had any veins because she couldn't see any mainly because the strap wasn't even tight round my arm and when she changed the tube she pushed the need down into my arm it stung like a b**** lol! My arm still keeps feeling dead and i had it taken last Thursday!

Me too! I dread having my blood taken b/c I have non-existent veins. My first trimester blood draw was a nightmare - they had to draw enough to fill 4 small vials and 2 large vials, and it took an hour and six different pricks/veins to get all the blood they needed :wacko:

Things that I have been told by various nurses over the years that are supposed to help are: 1) drink lots of water beforehands and 2) keeping yourself warm - sometimes when my veins don't cooperate, they put those warmer packs on my arm to get the blood flowing better.

I've got low platelets in pregnancy which means I get weekly blood tests from 20 weeks and I hate them!!

My recommendation is get them done by the phlebotomist (sp?) Those guys take blood all day, every day and are awesome at it... At my hospital they didn't have a problem with me asking to go to the blood team to get it done (which I did every week after 20 week experience). Also make sure you eat something an hour before - I find I am more of a fainter when I am hungry!!

Midwives are fabulous people who do a wonderful job - but in my experience taking blood is not one of their specialities!!! The midwife that took mine at my 20 wk appt let me splurting blood all over the place (OH nearly passed out).

The midwives who took my blood during labour (a) didn't take enough so had to repeat it (grr) or (b) left me with such severe bruising the consultant / midwives on the ward all commented on it - as did many members of the public because it looked like I was either a drug addict or beaten!!

I used to be petrified of blood tests but I have to get them done about every 2 weeks now (sometimes more often). I agree - find someone who does it all of the time and stick with them. There's one lab I go to right now and I call ahead to make sure my favorite phlebotomist is there before I go in.

What kind of chairs did they use in the lab? The labs I go to have chairs that prevent you from falling onto the floor or something if you were to pass out. The chairs make it easier for the phlebotomist to take blood though because it raises your arm so they don't have to lean over. I did faint one time (hadn't eaten and had 10 vials taken) and they moved me over to a bed.

I've found things I can do to make it hurt less. Always clench your fist (but unclench before they're done). If I don't clench, I find it hurts a good amount more! Drink a lot of water before you go in, it makes your veins more visible and also makes it go a lot faster. I always talk to them throughout the entire thing too and that helps take my mind off of it. Also, I have one vein on the far left of the inside of my left arm, and far right on the right arm (most if not all people have this) - the veins are huge and because of its location it hurts a lot less. You can ask when you go in if they can use the vein in those locations.

Blood tests used to be one of my biggest fears. I would cry for days, lose sleep, and puke before I had to get them done (and this was only just 2 years ago). I remember crying my eyes out and being dragged into the lab by my husband when I was pregnant with my son! I declined a lot of testing too. I have thyroid problems now so I have to get them done, and while I still get some jitters I'm almost entirely over it.

:hugs:

I'm terrible with having blood drawn but the following makes it seem a bit better- All things I have learned in 23 years of diabetes!

Ask to lay down if you can or for your feet to be put up.
Eat something small before hand (unless its a fasting test of course).
Drink lots of water.
Tell the vampire ahead of time you are are bad with this kind of thing so they know to be aware.
Listen to music through headphones - something that makes you feel like a rockstar fighter!
Stare at the ceiling or a corner of the room- don't look at the medical stuff.

I am terrified of needles (getting blood taken and injections). I'm Rh negative, too...lucky me. The smell of the "disinfectant" they use instantly sends me into a panic. I have to go get my blood taken in a few days and I am freaking out. So...you aren't alone. Sorry about your bad experience. :hugs:

Also, thanks to everyone who shared tips!

I used to be, I've had that many since my 1st DS I don't even bat an eyelid any more. I used to be so bad I couldn't even drive after it lol!
I've had three IV canular ( not sure if that's how you spell it ) in my hands over the last 3 weeks and they are awful to have on give me a blood test any day lol!
It sounds like she did push it further when she popped on the 2nd tube that's happened to me as well and it bloody hurts and leaves a nasty bruise.
Try not to work yoursel up before hand I think it makes it worse x

I am petrified too. I always pass out or come close to it. When I went for my big blood draw last week, I ate a big lunch before and went somewhere different where I didnt have any bad associations. It went fine, I didn't pass out or feel sick. Ask for the butterfly needle, barely felt it.

Thank you so much ladies for all your kind words, tips and advice. I will definitely be giving those ideas a shot next time. Its good to know there are loads of other people just as nervous as me when it comes to blood tests. Great support, thanks again xx

Strangely enough though I am not afraid I do sometimes get faint feeling. I request a juice and a good vampire (the look on the nurses faces when I said I needed the best vampire in the office). I fainted during
My tattoo. Never from the flu jab though..

Were you ever this nervous before the pregnancy?

Hey ladies. Pointless thread really but just felt I had to talk about it and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

I had my first midwife appointment last friday and I knew id need to get blood taken so I tried to mentally prepare myself as much as possible so gritted my teeth and got on with it. Usually its an easy process for me because I have good veins but this time was just awful. I told her I was extremely nervous so she told me to lay down just in case because she had to take four tubes. So she put the belt around my arm and said something you just don't say to someone scared of blood and needles "You have great veins, as soon as I put that needle in, the blood is going to squirt up into my eye" I had to ask her not to say that as it was making me feel queasy but I think she was trying to crack a joke to make me feel better when it didn't. So anyway she took the first tube and it wasn't so bad but then when she went to change the bottle it felt like she pushed the needle to far in and i screamed because it hurt so much, I started to panic and asked her why it was hurting because iv never felt it sore before and she just said oh I don't know why its hurting and then i started to faint, was horrible :( My arm still hurts and its bruised. Now im even more petrified to get them in the future.

Anyone else ever had a bad experience? Or any useful tips for next time? xx

I'll preface this with the fact that I don't have a fear of needles or blood (if anything, I like having my blood drawn :blush:... it's always fascinating to me.) I've had regular blood tests done throughout my life and countless IVs, so I think after a while you get used to it. BUT, I have both a best friend with a severe fear of needles and a former boyfriend that would pass out if one was even in his line of sight.

What seemed most helpful with both of them was distraction. I went with my best friend to many of her appointments pre-and-post op following major brain surgery, and one trick that helped her was either biting down on the web of her hand (between thumb and pointer finger) and focusing her attention on that sensation (while looking away from the needle/syringe.) It took a few tries, but eventually there was much less hysterical crying and screams! :winkwink:

With my ex-boyfriend, he had to lie down and look away while carrying on a somewhat intellectual conversation (anything he had to think about.) He'd still sometimes get woozy or "faint," but it helped some, at least.

Another suggestion would be to bring earbuds with you and play some music and close your eyes while they go to draw the blood. In the grand scheme of things, it's a fairly small prick that is less noticeable the less you focus on it or anticipate it.

That said, I know we all end up with a shitty tech sometimes! I've had my entire hand bruise up after some jackass at the hospital couldn't get an IV into my hand and tried at least 10 different times. That definitely got sore! I make a point after the second or third try to get a different tech in. Sometimes all it takes is a new set of hands!

Yup, I just responded on your journal. Can't say my experience was anything short of terrifying and painful. :(

Strangely enough though I am not afraid I do sometimes get faint feeling. I request a juice and a good vampire (the look on the nurses faces when I said I needed the best vampire in the office). I fainted during
My tattoo. Never from the flu jab though..

Were you ever this nervous before the pregnancy?

Yes, iv just always been scared of needles, when I was younger I refused to get blood drawn but I know I have to get them because I have to do whats best for baby now. I went through the same thing whilst pregnant with my daughter but iv never had an experience like the last time, its made me so much more nervous for the future x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->