Anyone else thinking about

annio84

Grace's mummy
Reaction score
Starting to exercise during pregnancy?

I had recently started doing body coach HIIT but literally for about 2 weeks so I feel like a total beginner. I plan on taking up swimming at least once a week and then finding a pregnancy safe routine I can do at home because getting to the gym often enough to justify membership just doesn't happen for me.

Anyone else like to share what they're doing?

I've been told to stop doing the routine I was doing. I'm planning on swimming, just need to get over this first tri crap haha

Swimming is brilliant! Even if you werent swimming fit before pregnancy it is so good for you and baby.

This is my 3rd baby and with all of them I continued my exact same gym routine as per normal. I've gone up until about 38 weeks with the other 2 and plan to do the same this time too.

I slowed down a bit on the stepper (turned the speed down by about 2-3 levels) but still did the same weights (light) and even though my cardio fitness wasn't as good ( extra blood volume and faster heart rate makes you feel much less fit) I still persevered. I dreaded going as it was much harder then normal, but it definitely made a difference to my postpartum recovery.

Go for it!

Hello :)

I'm really gutted about my exercising so far this pregnancy. Pre-baby, I have always been an overly active type. I run, I swim, I gym class, I weight lift and I walk everywhere. I was totally one of those who was convinced I'd be an active pregnant person and adapt exercise as needed be with bump.

Then morning sickness hit and I've been confined to the sofa or my desk chair at work. I've found it quite hard to come to terms with my 'normal' life coming to a very sudden halt!

Still, once it hopefully passes (13 weeks and counting..), I do plan to resume but very carefully as my fitness must be down. I've always preferred swimming, so that's a good place to start back I think! I also plan to keep weight lifting but lower weight, higher rep. Walking is surprisingly good too, just keep a brisk pace that gets your heart rate up! Pre pregnancy, I could walk 5k in 43 minutes. Less impact than running but it sure got my heart rate up!

I think a general rule of thumb is if you are used to heavy cardio, weight lifting etc, you are fine to continue with some adaptations as you get bigger. If you are starting a new with exercise in pregnancy, build up very carefully so as to not hurt yourself or baby! If you are new to HIIT, probably not the best place to start. It's quite extreme!

Hope everyone can find workouts that work for them! And don't worry too much, pregnancy makes life much harder! Just a small amount is better than nothing!

I was running a few miles a few times a week and then first trimester hit and I've done nothing. I don't feel comfortable personally running while pregnant but I'm hoping to get active in other ways as soon as I feel better!

I am a runner and was running while pushing the jogging stroller until last week when morning sickness hit. Once I get over this sickness I will continue to run but only for as long as it is comfortable, I'm worried about harming my pelvic floor by running with a big belly. Last pregnancy I stopped running around 4 months because I had to stop and pee every 5 minutes. I am also a swimmer and will continue to swim through this pregnancy. I like doing yoga but I find prenatal yoga classes boring and not a very good workout so I'm not sure if I'll do much of those. We hike and walk a lot so I will continue to do that, although I might have to stick to wide easy trails that I can take the jogging stroller on once my belly is too big to wear my daughter in the hiking backpack. Once it snows we will cross country ski. I was extremely sick my entire last pregnancy so I was pretty sedentary and gained too much weight, I'm hoping to be a lot more active this time around! I'm already not nearly as sick as I was last time so I have high hopes of getting back into my active lifestyle soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->