Anyone else thinking of ways to 'break the news' to your parents?

LadyofRohan

Mummy to Éowyn
Reaction score
I know it's a bit too early to be thinking about these things, but I can't help it! :laugh2:

Has anyone been thinking about how you're going to break the news to your OH and/or parents? Anyone have any unique ideas?

I know with DH he'll be waiting outside the bathroom door when I test so there's no way it's going to be a surprise for him. He's as excited about having a baby as I am.

So I've been trying to think of unique ways to break the news to our parents. It's a very big deal because it will be the first grandchild for both his and my parents and I want to do something memorable.

For my mom and dad, I'm thinking of just showing up to Sunday dinner like normal....wearing a tshirt that says "due in *month*" and a jacket over it. Then I was going to say to mom "hey, check out this cool shirt I bought the other day" and unzip my jacket. We'll see how long it takes to sink in :haha:

I've seen the videos where the expectant parents give a present or something to their parents, but I think unless it was a special occassion (such as mother's day or a birthday or something) my parents would know something was up and I want it to be a complete surprise.

I don't know what to do for his parents. They live in the UK, so whatever we do will have to be over Skype.

i have the same problem with OH's parents. They also live in the UK, so i'm not sure what to say to that one.

but for my mom, i would probably just randomly drop it in conversation and see if she picks it up. (ie: The weather is great today. I'm pregnant. What are your plans for this weekend?)

I've been thinking about this lately as we are now trying it is a real possibility that we will have to at some point.

I think I might get a "worlds best nana" and "worlds best granda" baby vest for my folks and give them then in a little gift bag. Hopefully the penny will drop quickly! It will be their first grandchild.

With OH mum and her husband we will just tell them (they have 2 other grandchildren)!

xxx

Ill just ring my mam or go round after iv told my OH as soon as i get my BFP.
My dad,mil and smil and fil will be told after the first scan, ether over the fone or send them a copy of the scan pic in the post as they are not local.

My brother told my parents after the 12 wk scan. He sat them down, told them his gf was pregnant, quite quickly and passed them the scan pic. Lol i already knew and it was hilarious watching them squirm, waiting for a reaction. :rofl:

I'll probably want to tell my mum before 12 wks though. I'll be prety nervous but as they are already grandparents, i don't think it will be as scary lol.

I don't think we'll tell parents before 12 weeks. Not mine at least. I might do something special to tell my sister and two very close friends. The parents I think we might just say it. Don't know if we'll have the balls when the time comes though, saying "we're getting married" was bad enough. :D

Goodness. I've just spent an hour watching pregnancy announcements on YouTube. :D And I'm crying like a baby...

I think with my best friend, I'm going to tell her daughter and make her tell mummy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhFLQ5wl1A

i've been thinking the same thing! i can't do any grandparent related things because my brother beat me too it and had a kid in june. so i'm rethinking possibilities.

he waited to tell both sets of parents for 3 months. personally, i couldn't not tell my mom! especially because they are such a part of my life and i need them for every up/down possible!

i was thinking of asking my mom to lunch...but take her to the drs appt with me instead. LOL

Well, I'm a bit of a nutter and I put together all the different "announcements" I liked and have decided I'll take a pic of my belly with "guess what" written on it. I don't know if I'll send it to hubby while he's at work (making sure I'm hidden watching his reaction) or just at home and pretend while I watch his face change. I'll probably do that, it sounds easier and we can cellebrate there and then. It would be the first grandchild in both our families so I still have to work that one out. I'll probably choose a special day so if we give them a pressie it won't be too obvious, or maybe we'll try to go to lunch with each family and give them a little pressie somehow. Maybe get the waiter to send it over. I was thinking of giving them one of those figurines with a grandmother and a child etc, or maybe a keychain in the form of a dummy I saw the other day. So cute!!! The penny will drop in no time!!! Such a nutter as I said but I just love making everything special, to me it's part of the fun!! xxx

I think I'll wait a bit before I break the news xD. luckily it is not their first then.

Don't have a clue what I'd do as neither my parents or OH's parents are local and we don't see them all that often. I wouldn't want to tell them over the phone but it'll probably have to end up that way!! Unless we send something in the post, like grandparent related stuff to my parents as, unless my brother gets some poor girl pregnant between now and April/May next year, it'd be their 1st grandchild, and wait for the phone call!!

Beca :wave:

we have a few ideas but depends on what month we find out, if we hit gold when we first start trying then we will tell them in the form of mothers day cards 'to grandma on mothers day' or something along those lines. If it's not for a couple months then it could tie in nicely for the wedding in which case DP will casually drop it into his speach 'my pregnant wife and i would like to thank ......' any other time we plan on making them 'grandparent kits' with a photo frame, a grandchild on board car sticker, etc

i havnt really thought about how to tell my parents. Will be the first grandchild on both sides which is really exciting :) I think my mom will just know - although i would like to do something special. I would love to wait until the scan and frame the photo for them but im not sure i could hold out that long :S i guess we will just have to wait till the time comes and see how we feel about it then.

Oh goodness!

I know this is my thread but I just thought of a really good one for mom and dad! Better than my t-shirt idea. :happydance:

With all four of her kids, my mom used the same going home from the hospital outfit. It's a little sleeper with pandas on it (mom love pandas). So she has pictures of all four of us in our carseat on the ride home. I know she kept the Panda outfit, she has it in a chest upstairs in the bedroom.

So I would go to mom and dad's house for Sunday dinner as usual and ask mom if she still has the panda outfit. When she says yes, I'd like to say something like "oh good, can we borrow it? We're going to need it in *insert month baby is due*?"

How does that sound? :thumbup:

LadyofRohan that's a really wonderful idea! I love other peoples little family traditions, and it's great that you're carrying it on. She'll really love that :) What a beautiful way to tell her xx

I have no idea. I wanna wait til I've had a scan. But will probably tell a couple of people at work who will need to know just incase I suddenly have to escape my classroom. Not sure about my parents, think I could hold off unless I had any complications. I just need to stop my OH telling the world.

After the first scan we will probably send pregnancy annoucements and wait for thephone calls lol

I just saw an excellent one on youtube: think i might steal this idea!

It was christmas day & they gave each family member a present and had them open them one at a time & in a certain order: the presents were pieces of wallpaper with words written on, spelling out "Michaela. and. Jay. are. having. a. baby!" A little kid had the last present, and she was taking ages to open it! They were all so excited, her big sis took it off her n ripped it open!.... commence squealing!

These are lovely ideas, I spend lots of time thinking how and when I'll tell my Mum, but I'll probably just call her up and blurt it out as soon as I get a BFP!!

Also though, I'd be careful about breaking the news at a wedding, especially publicly - I know a lot of people who'd be really upset their thunder was being stolen. We have a big family wedding next year too and I'm hoping I'm far enough for it to be old news but not about to pop...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->