Anyone else thinking of ways to 'break the news' to your parents?

We found out I was pregnant on Dec. 21st 2006 with our first child so we went out and bought bibs that said "I love Grandma" and "I love Grandpa" and wrapped them for DH's parents. I told my mom the day I found out, I couldn't keep it from her. She was having an exceptionally gloomy day a year after he divorce so I told her, knowing it would make her day a LOT better!

Christian was the first grand baby for my mom & dad and David's mom & dad as well so it was really cool.

Anyway, on Christmas Eve we set aside a present for my in-laws and told them they had to open it together so they did. FIL didn't know what it meant but my MIL did and she started laughing and crying at the same time! It was great!

Another great idea: This one my friend did. I think if you go to the "Build-a-Bear" shops (don't know if they have them outside of the States, though) you can actually create a bear with a sound file in it. She and her husband made a bear and put the sound file of their first baby's (in utero) heart beat in the bear so that when you pressed a button in played the heart beat. They gave it to their parents saying "Isn't this bear so cute? Push the button!" and when they did they were a little confused and asked "What's that?" The my friend said "Your grandbaby's heart beat!" She said they were ecstatic and even her dad cried!!

With the one my friend is pregnant with now she made Sydney (her first child) a shirt that says "I have a secret..." on the front and on the back it says "I'm going to be a big sister!" and let her wear it around her family! So cute!

If I am lucky enough to fall pg in October then I'll be 11 weeks at Christmas -so Ill hand out my chrimbo cards on Christmas day with ' and the bump' as an addition to the family. Also, I had a bump at 8 weeks last time so if this is the case again, I'll keep covered up before then, in baggy tunics, cardi's etc and then buy a tight bump revealing top for Christmas lol. Might even do this if it takes another month (prob minus the bump thingy), although I do fancy the idea of it being mine and DH secret for the first 10 weeks so I dont know. However last time DH blurted it out to anyone who would listen when 1 was 4w + 1d so may not get the chance lol.

Otherwise, I dont know -scan pic is a nice idea, and I loved the build a teddy idea too -with baby's heartbeat inside (and my mum loves teddies too)

I love the Build a Bear idea! I think I'd rather do that for OH, but without the heartbeat because I'd want to tell him before we could hear the heartbeat, obviously lol. Just a bear dressed as a baby :) I'll tell him he can practise with the bear until the real thing comes along!

I've taken 2 tests and they were both negative so I told me hubby so he could comfort me. I plan to secretly take another test in a day or 2 and if its positive I am going to keep the news to myself for a couple days.
My hubby and I got married a few months ago so I am going to make a DVD video of all our wedding pictures and tell him its a gift for my parents. What he doesn't know if I am going ot have a pic of the + preg test last. That way he and my parents will find out at the same time.

Well we have told my parents (rents are separated and re-married) that we are trying at the end of the year, husband is worried to tell his mum so is waiting until we are pregnant, I would tell my parents, my mil and my two best friends as soon as I knew but everyone else probably 4 months gone...

My hubby and I got married a few months ago so I am going to make a DVD video of all our wedding pictures and tell him its a gift for my parents. What he doesn't know if I am going ot have a pic of the + preg test last. That way he and my parents will find out at the same time.

Awwwwwww so cute :)

I know exactly how I am going to tell OH. I am going to leave a pair of ickle baby sokkies on his pillow with the test .. probably a clearblue since its clearly says "pregnant" on it and see what he says :happydance: or a t-shirt saying "I love my daddy" Oooo the brain is ticking over!!

As for the parents I am going to text them a pik of the positive test/first scan and wait to see how long it takes them to ring me screaming :rofl:

I like the idea of getting a little baby vest saying something like i have the best Grandad. Knowing my luck my parents wouldn't click.
My OH's parents already have 2 grandchildren so i think they would be excited but i kinda think that it would be just like "ohhh great another one!" :happydance:

I don't know though i'm not good with secrets so i guess the second i find out within the hour everyone would know hahah!

I have thought alot about this recently even though i shouldnt really lol.....

I was thinking when i do a test and get BFP my OH will probably be at work so ill wait till he gets in, tell him we need to talk and ask him to get down on his knees. Put his hand on my belly and say "say hello to your baby" (might sound stupid though lol)
Hopefully i wont be telling my parents or anyone in my family, they are too stressful and i wont want anything to go wrong cause of stress from them. So when i give birth i will turn up on there door with a baby and introduce it as there grandchild. I told my dad i was going to do this and he said that would be a great suprise for everyone.

I have thought alot about this recently even though i shouldnt really lol.....

I was thinking when i do a test and get BFP my OH will probably be at work so ill wait till he gets in, tell him we need to talk and ask him to get down on his knees. Put his hand on my belly and say "say hello to your baby" (might sound stupid though lol)
Hopefully i wont be telling my parents or anyone in my family, they are too stressful and i wont want anything to go wrong cause of stress from them. So when i give birth i will turn up on there door with a baby and introduce it as there grandchild. I told my dad i was going to do this and he said that would be a great suprise for everyone.

Going to tell my parents they have to decide what grandparent name they want to have, grandma grandad etc and that they only have X number of months to decide.

I've had some more ideas since the start of this thread as well. For DH's parents we're going to make them a family tree. His dad and I have been looking up his ancestry recently so they won't find that too strange. Except that we'll have an extra branch for our LO and label it "coming Oct 2011". If we have one by then we'll add a scan picture.
For my parents we're going to make a photo album of the trip we're going on this spring. Somewhere in the middle of it we'll have a page with the scan picture saying "Surprise!!!". And then we wait for the screaming and hugging and crying. :D
My closest friend (and the baby's godmother) will get a card of some sort. Or maybe, if we're feeling creative we might even make a short video (there's some awesome ones on YouTube).
Can't wait now... :D

I love this thread. Thanks LOR for posting way back in Sept. i have no idea how I will spread the news. But with my family, when one finds out, all will know shortly. they arent very good at keeping secrets:)

I do love the original idea of the T shirt with "Due in *month* with a jacket zipped up over the top.. I might just have to steal that idea:) how cute to wear it throughout your pregnancy and watch it stretch!!

Awww these are some great ideas! It gets me so sxcited just thinking about it! We mentioned the possibility of a grandchild to my OH's mom and she started crying, so lord knows what she'll be like when we actually tell her!

We're going to be TTC in June, so we want to wait until Christmas and make a card with the photo of the scan on the front, saying something like 'Merry Christmas Grandma and Grandpa'.

I kind of want to surprise my OH too, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it in! Just something simple like writing on my tummy in washable felt pen "baby on board", see how long it takes to notice (she's not the most observant of people)!

OMG you've all got me so excited! x x x

Since with Elyse I was 18 and I was about to dump the biggest shock of my parents lives on them :lol:... and I cried, shook, and got lots of talking to..

I am just going to call my mom up and say it, no anxiety or stress!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->