Anyone else with a large age gap between kids?

My twins will be couple of weeks off 11 when this baby comes.
This is a new partner but I'm actually really cool with the age gap and I think it's going to work well; they're also really excited and have been very understanding about me being 'poorly', which maybe a smaller/younger child wouldn't. I think there will be less chance of them being jealous of the baby too, as they're pretty independent anyway, and they'll be keen/able to help a bit too.
I've nothing to compare it to, as I've never had a small age gap (unless you count 2 minutes with the twins..!), but I think it's going to work out quite good :)

My son will be 7 on this baby's due date, and for a long while I felt horrible about "disrupting" his life....but truly he's been asking for a baby brother or sister for years, and he's so excited about it. Nearly every day he asks if I can make sure to have the baby on his birthday so they can always share, and tells me often about the things he'll teach his little brother & all the things he'll do, that he'll change diapers (but only if there's no poop, lol) and that you can't let a baby drink air in a bottle or his tummy will hurt, etc.
It makes me feel relief. I'm sure it won't be all perfect all the time but I do feel better about it, and less like I'm messing his life up by adding another person to the family so far into his life. I just want to make sure I take some time with him on a regular basis to do things one on one since he spent 5 years just with me, as a single mom, before I married my husband. It's always just been my little buddy and I, now it's us, and a stepdad and a dog and a baby, and I want to make sure he always knows that he's so special and important to me. I don't want the baby to make him feel left out.

I will have a 3.5 year age gap. I think this will be fine as it's what I have between me and my sister

I have big age gaps between a lot of mine, they will be 19, 13, 10 and 3 when the new baby arrives, I preferred the bigger gaps to the smaller ones.

Well it sounds like 4.5 years isn't such a big gap after all! It just seems like everyone I know has their kids 2 years or even less apart. That being said, my OH and his sister are 4.5 years apart. I am 9 years younger than my oldest brother, but there were two in between, and am less that 2 years younger that my other brother, and 6 years younger than my sister. My oldest brother and myself are not very close, but I think that has more to do with personality than the age gap, he is not close with any of us. I am glad that I can put DD in junior kindergarten and get some one on one baby time. She is also very high needs so the larger age gap was probably good for us.

Mrsgoodhart it sounds like you are thinking a lot about your son, and I don't think he will feel left out at all! That's cute he has been asking for a sibling, my DD has also been asking for one lately. She wants a sister, but then watched Dora (who had twin baby siblings) and now wants one of each lol.

My husband and I have recently decided to have a second baby. Our daughter will be 5 at the end of August. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow just to have a little chat before we start trying. I'll also be starting prenatal vitamins and hoping to try my next cycle in June :)
This is actually my first time posting in here in a looong time. When I logged in, it showed my last activity as January 2014! But I created this account during my TWW the first time and made lasting friends here. Hoping for the same this time! :)

I also just came back on here from back when I had my DD! What part of Ontario do you live in?? I'm from Ontario too! Good luck with trying in June, I hope you get your BFP on the first cycle! :)

I also just came back on here from back when I had my DD! What part of Ontario do you live in?? I'm from Ontario too! Good luck with trying in June, I hope you get your BFP on the first cycle! :)

Thank you!
Nice to meet you! :) I'm about 4 hours north of Toronto. What about you!?
I see you are newly pregnant :) Congrats!

I'm in Muskoka, not too far! Hope you aren't getting eaten alive up there. My brother is near North Bay and says the black flies have begun!

I hear you on everyone you know having their kids 2 years apart Laughingduck. That is the way it is with us as well. That said, our daughter will be 4.5 years old when this one arrives in January and I'm feeling good about it. She is her own confident, loved individual and won't be threatened when baby arrives. It also doesn't hurt that she has been asking be for a baby sister every few days or so, saying 'how do we get a baby in your tummy?' lol...

Yay for bigger age gaps! :D

I'm in Muskoka, not too far! Hope you aren't getting eaten alive up there. My brother is near North Bay and says the black flies have begun!

Your brother and I aren't far apart then!! lol we lived in North Bay until 2 years ago. :) then we moved 20 minutes away to a smaller town.
And the black flies have indeed started! I sat outside most of the afternoon yesterday and today I noticed a bite on my cheek!:growlmad:
I can only imagine what the rest of the summer will bring!
Feel free to PM if you ever want to chat! :)

I hear you on everyone you know having their kids 2 years apart Laughingduck. That is the way it is with us as well. That said, our daughter will be 4.5 years old when this one arrives in January and I'm feeling good about it. She is her own confident, loved individual and won't be threatened when baby arrives. It also doesn't hurt that she has been asking be for a baby sister every few days or so, saying 'how do we get a baby in your tummy?' lol...

Yay for bigger age gaps! :D

My daughter has also been asking a lot about babies! I just told her that daddy puts a seed in mommy's belly, just like we put seeds in our garden, and then a baby grows ;) I already bought some big sister and baby books to read to her too, even though it's 8 months until baby comes! I am not telling her that I am pregnant. I am going to wait at least until the 12 weeks scan, maybe even the 16-20 weeks scan where we find out the sex. Depends on when I start to show and tell others. I almost miscarried her at 14 weeks so I am a bit cautious about it! She knows she will have a baby sibling at some point in the future though :)

I was 17 when my youngest sister was born! Now that is an age gap!

My daughter has also been asking a lot about babies! I just told her that daddy puts a seed in mommy's belly, just like we put seeds in our garden, and then a baby grows ;) I already bought some big sister and baby books to read to her too, even though it's 8 months until baby comes! I am not telling her that I am pregnant. I am going to wait at least until the 12 weeks scan, maybe even the 16-20 weeks scan where we find out the sex. Depends on when I start to show and tell others. I almost miscarried her at 14 weeks so I am a bit cautious about it! She knows she will have a baby sibling at some point in the future though :)

Aww too cute! I am all for waiting to tell. We waited last time and I was so thankful because it was a bit more than she would be able to understand at this stage to try and explain to her that the baby had passed away. It's SO hard to wait though because it's such exciting news!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->