anyone else with baby on neocate feel guilty, trying soya :(

helsurf

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't as it's not mine or LO's fault, but my baby has been on neocate since she was about 8 weeks old she is now nearly 7 months...

at 12 weeks she had skin prick tests which came back negative but she failed the milk challenge, (she projectile vomits a lot! skin rash, stuffy nose, cough, red eyes, constipated and is generally really really unhappy on milk based formula- she is a completely different happy baby on neocate)

I know that neocate is really expensive and my gp will only give us 4 small tins at a time which lasts less than 2 weeks!!! I am constantly having to take in repeat prescriptions and I always get 'stroppy looks' from the receptionist! I feel like they think she doesn't need it as she passed the skin prick test and it's expensive, so I always feel really guilty, and think they just think I am a paranoid mother!! :( when she got to 6 months I tried her on soya, 2 bottles a day and 2 neocate but she has been really unhappy recently and really constipated! (but no rash or projectile vomiting) I'm not sure if she is reacting to the soya or if it is a developmental thing/teething which is making her grumpier... or if the constipation is just a temporary side effect of the soya and will pass?

arghh! I just feel guilty about the cost and hate the looks I get off the receptionist :/ I wish she could tolerate something else :(

sigh!
xxx

I would keep her on Neocate if she is happy on it. Also soy is not very good for babies. It contains a plant hormone called phytoestrogen which mimics oestrogen and can cause fertility problems and early puberty. It should be used as a complete last resort.

Don't feel guilty! It's not forever and it's needed, you are entitled to it and your child needs it.

Just get your local pharmacy to order the repeat prescription and pick it up from your gp surgery. That way you don't have to deal with receptionists. Nobody in the pharmacy will care, they want the prescriptions!!!! If your local chemist won't (but I'm sure they will) Boots will definitely do it and can even deliver the milk to your house

I would keep her on Neocate if she is happy on it. Also soy is not very good for babies. It contains a plant hormone called phytoestrogen which mimics oestrogen and can cause fertility problems and early puberty. It should be used as a complete last resort.

Omg really? My LO has soya yogurt, I was told to offer him it by his dietician :nope:

Omg really? My LO has soya yogurt, I was told to offer him it by his dietician :nope:

Yep! Soy is horrible! A lot of women in the TTC section use it to make them ovulate (at all or earlier than usual - I tried it too). It definitely affects hormones (and increase risks of breast cancers). No wonder why so many girls goes into puberty at 8 years old nowadays. https://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx

My oldest son had severe acid reflux and was on soya formula (it was the only stuff that stayed down). It was HORRIBLE, seriously it hurt his tummy so much :( But the only thing that didn't vomit up. I would avoid whenever possible!!!

So shall I no longer give it to him? I'm really worried now and do NOT want to effect my son in any way, why did the dietician tell me to give it to him. :(

So shall I no longer give it to him? I'm really worried now and do NOT want to effect my son in any way, why did the dietician tell me to give it to him. :(

There is a lot of debate as to whether or not soy is bad for babies. With respect to PP, Mercola.com is not a reliable website and has been noted to continually site false information about a variety of medical claims. I don't know if it's true or not (probably is), just pointing out that I wouldn't take it as gospel either.

Like I said before, I think soy formula is pure crap. I know, because I gave my boy it for 8 months. But I did whatever I could to keep his weight on (he had severe acid reflux). The serious constipation (to the point where his little bum had blood) never stopped until he went off the soy (remember some dairy intolerances wean themselves out by 6-8 months).

If your girl is happy on neocate, I would keep up with it, as much as it is a pain in the ass, because soy will probably cause more harm than good.

I would stop giving soy as soon as possible. It doesn't matter if the info is on Mercola.com or not, it's a fact that soy is an endocrine disrupter that affects our hormones. It's a phytoestrogen (estrogen-like hormone from a plant). It's like giving the birth control pill to your baby. The only time soy (has to be non-GMO and fermented) could bring some benefits is after menopause, instead of taking another form of estrogen.

Have you been referred to a paediatrician? GP's are fairly useless with reflux issues. If you LO has an intolerance it wouldn't show on a skin prick test. We were told by our paed at the hospital that the GP has to prescribe as much milk as we need as anything else makes LO very ill. The GPs don't like doing it because of the cost. They tried to limit us to ten cans a month, so I got the paed to call the practice. He was not happy that they were trying to effectively starve my baby! I'd push for a referral if you're not happy with the GP, failing that I'd probably look at changing doctors.

Just get your local pharmacy to order the repeat prescription and pick it up from your gp surgery. That way you don't have to deal with receptionists. Nobody in the pharmacy will care, they want the prescriptions!!!! If your local chemist won't (but I'm sure they will) Boots will definitely do it and can even deliver the milk to your house

Good idea! And really don't feel guilty. Your baby needs this to thrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->